Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zero turn mowers

Default zero turn mowers

Been considering buying a zero turn mower. Looking at John Deere and Husqvarna. The John Deere mowers run around $ 800 less than the same size Husqvarna. Anybody know which is the better mower ? Thanks .

IIRC, the Husky is better balanced - the JD is not for any sort of slope, as it is VERY rear-heavy and will tip
    Good medicine in bad places

I have a Husqvarna commercial mower( kawasaki motor) built like a tank....love it
    Live Free or Die

Thanks guys . I believe all the zero turns have a tendency to tip . The husky dealer told me that . Only got one small slope and I can weed-eat it.

Follow -up question : He has one with a Briggs and one with a Kawasaki engine. Always been partial to Briggs. What do you all recommend ?

Also, which if any of these mowers are actually made in the USA ?

Briggs and Straton, hands down!

I think it's a preference but I don't care for John Deer. They seem to be in the shop more than on duty. I have a Troy Built with a B&S. It takes a beating and never has been in the shop. I have a TB chipper with the B&S also. Same quality.
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 08-29-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

They take a little getting used to if you're not familiar with steering them. I'm getting fairly good with mine. I have a JD, courtesy my daughter. She used to work for John Deere in the corporate office in Research Triangle Park...between Raleigh and Durham, NC. If you were ever in the military, and drove a tracked vehicle, they operate pretty much the same as far as steering, stopping and starting. One thing for certain, they will turn on a dime and give you nine cents change back. So be careful it doesn't throw you off the seat. Also, push both levers full forward......HANG ON.......'cause it will run like a scalded cat. MEOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks guys . I believe all the zero turns have a tendency to tip . The husky dealer told me that . Only got one small slope and I can weed-eat it.

Follow -up question : He has one with a Briggs and one with a Kawasaki engine. Always been partial to Briggs. What do you all recommend ?

Also, which if any of these mowers are actually made in the USA ?
    Kawasaki ....... What's on most commerical mowers?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Briggs and Straton, hands down!

I think it's a preference but I don't care for John Deer. They seem to be in the shop more than on duty. I have a Troy Built with a B&S. It takes a beating and never has been in the shop. I have a TB chipper with the B&S also. Same quality.
    Just my opinion.

Don't know much about John Deer's...but I am ok with Briggs and Stratton..though I paid about a hundred dollars more for a push mower with a Honda Engine in it.
    I like Honda Engineering having had a Honda Accord and also my Honda Ruckus Scooter.

Now.......

No amount of Engineering can overcome "not" doing regular maintenance...or just plain olde TLC on your gear.

If you want something to last you must take basic steps to care for it no matter how much you pay for it or how much it is advertised...

Change oil, filters, tires....belts...etc. etc etc.

My B&S push mower lasted me over 15 years ...before I got this Honda Powered mower. Mind you now ..at 15 years it was going fast...but I knew enough from my father to take basic care of my gear. My father was a engine man for the Air Force..from Piston radial engines to jet engines..he knew how to take care of equipment and rebuild it and I am glad he taught me.
    His knowledge lives on in me and it has saved me a lot of monies over the years.

I've seen to many people who put their mowers to the curb after two or three years because they never check or maintain anything. I pick some of them up and scrap the parts.

I discovered many years ago that there is a very brisk battery selling business towards people who do not know to clean their posts and check their water levels. Someone is getting over on these people ...big time...they haven't a clue. This type of thing shows up quickly in batteries as the cold sets in for the winter. So many people just do not know.

Same with Mowers and other gear...do you know the basics of how to take care of it...so it can take care of you?

It is indeed a preference...Camouflaged...but for what I need I've not found any problems with Briggs and Stratton Engines.

Often you pay more for a big name...

Often to me it is not worth it..but I do like the Honda Engine/Engineering. I will not be doing that often ....buying Honda..they are often more monies than others. A scooter and a lawn mower..ok...

I will not be paying that much for a Honda generator etc.

But Briggs and Stratton..ok by me.

But I do not use these types of equipment's professionally in making a living by them. A professional might have a different view...and experience.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

We are very big on maintaining all of our equipment. Both of our TB with B&S were purchased in 94'. (Mower and chipper). Still going strong.

We have a couple Honda 3000 gens. Love them. They are so quiet and easy to maintain. We keep 1 in the barn and 1 with the RV.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I have a cub, parts are affordable as long as you don't go to dealers, careful with the big brands and their exclusive parts.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.