Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I planted more fruit trees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I planted more fruit trees

Yesterday, I planted 12 more peach. 6 are Saturn peach and 6 are Georgia Peach.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I just ordered some blueberry bushes to plant here. They are usually planted in the fall.
    I thought it was best to plant fruit trees in the spring? Should I be planting them now also?
    I live where it gets pretty cold in the winter, like really cold.

I usually plant fruit trees and fruit bushes in late summer and stake a shade cloth over them. It gives then a head start on the root system to get establish and anchored before Winter gets here. .
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I'll be planting some fruit and nut trees at the ranch this fall. Maybe try Avocado and some citrus.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

On my next trip to town in a week or two I'll check around and see if anyone has any trees left. I still haven't figured out a reasonable way to keep the elk away from though.

I don't think anyone local has any yet, they ran out mid spring.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I order my trees from Stark Brothers on line. Best root systems I've ever saw on any tree. I'm gonna plant some blueberries closer to fall. Probably some nut trees as well.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Mine are cuttings I rooted from my other fruit trees.

I tried that with no luck, care to explain your process a little please.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I cut mature branches when I prune. I cut the mature branches at least 3" from a well formed knuckle and try to get at least two knuckle in each. I never get 100% rooting from these cuttings (close to maybe 75 to 80%) so I make sure I have plenty to compensate for the ones that don't root out.

I let the cuttings harden for about a week it a cool dark place where open air can circulate around them. While I'm curing the cuttings, I soak black and white news paper in water mixed with strive root stimulator and place the news paper in a big plastic bag.

After about a week of curing the cuttings, I pull out several layers of the news paper and wrap a couple cutting together at a time. After I get all the cuttings wrapped, I put them all back in the big plastic bag, spray inside the bag with a mix of the same root stimulator mixed in water. I close the bag except for a small area so air can get in.

I place the big plastic bag with the wrapped cutting in a paper bag and let them store through the winter, pulling them out about every week to 8 days to make sure the paper in the plastic bag stays moist but not soaked.

By late Winter, very early Spring, I pull them out and check for strong root cuttings. I take those cuttings with the strongest roots and place 1 cutting in wine bottle paper bags and fill them with some good starter soil and tie them closed except for about 5" of the bare cutting. I put them all standing upright in a metal bucket with water in the bottom to wick up through the starter soil and it keeps the paper bag damp.

The metal bucket with all my starters go outside in my work station so the soil can acclimate to the outside temps. Once I start seeing buds form, I expose them to the natural light outside a few hours a day. After about two weeks, they go out into the greenhouse in pots.

Once I see at least 3 fully developed leaves, they are transplanted into their permanent home in the ground.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 08-18-2017 at 11:15 PM.