Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I planted more fruit trees

Amazing, thank you.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

It's not difficult. Keep a cheat sheet calander with dates of each step. I have a smart phone so it makes it effortless now, but before smart phones I did it on paper calendars. Now, my phone sends me a scheduled alert with my notes. I don't even have to think about it now. Just wait for my alert to pop up.

I wrote it out in detail for you to make it easy to see the steps and why they are important.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

What few fruit trees I have are only in their first year, but I have a pear tree in mind that I can get cuttings from. About what length and diameter do you suggest?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I take cuttings from my prunings about the size in dia. of my little finger ( I have small hands) and roughly 10 to 12" long depending on the knots.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Great info on the root g Cammi. Thanks
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

You're welcome!

Thanks for the cutting info. I cannot use it right now but saved it in a folder for later. I love this website for the info.

So on Pecan trees, I have a boatload of native in my yard. The pecans are small and a booger to crack, but have a nice oily fruit. I'm wanting some of the paper shell varieties. Can I plant these papers hell nuts to grow the trees, or is it a grafting process?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I don't have any nut trees so I haven't used this cutting/rooting method on nut trees at all. I don't have a clue Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'm wanting some of the paper shell varieties. Can I plant these papers shell nuts to grow the trees, or is it a grafting process?
    I've been told you can't, however that was from a Nursery guy that wanted to sell me some of his grafted trees... One of the reasons they use grafted trees is to put a weak variety on a strong root system. I have 4 paper shell that have been raised from seed, were getting big enough to produce then a wild fire took them out, the volunteers from the trunks have just now reached 10' or so, I saw blossoms on one of them this spring, but not sure if they set or not.

Rancher