Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting more power out of a solar panel, on the cheap

Imma pee off the front porch kinda guy. No way would I pay someone to tell me how to keep MY property. My landscaping is better than most, my yard is mowed 3 to 5 times a month depending on weather, if I want pink metal roof, I don't have to get anyone's input.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Imma pee off the front porch kinda guy. No way would I pay someone to tell me how to keep MY property. My landscaping is better than most, my yard is mowed 3 to 5 times a month depending on weather, if I want pink metal roof, I don't have to get anyone's input.
    This is the way I am too. However, when my significant other doesn't want to live out of town, one must make baby steps till you are out of town. Our last house was 3 miles inside the city limits. Our current house, we can see the edge of the city limits from an upstairs window and 2 houses down from us is a several hundred acre corn field.

Now that our property values have gone up considerably and more northerners are moving in to this neighborhood, my wife has been looking at houses outside of the city limits that have some acreage.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Tell her to tighten up before you have to go to farmers only for a more suitable partner...... lol don't do that we will miss you.

Alright, after an hour of messing with it, the solar panel is now mounted on the TV mount.

Before it was mounted I took a reading of the amperage the MPPT charge controller was putting into the batteries. That was a measily 0.8 amps. This is because the panel is 100% in the shade now and the sun is starting to set on the west/north west side of the house and the panel is facing due south.

After installing the TV mount, I took another reading and it is now 1.2 amps! that is a 50% increase in power!

Hopefully in the morning I'll be able to take a reading with the sun shining directly on the panel as the sun rises from the east/south east.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    We have something similar beginning to take shape. The community HOA won't take over till all the construction on new houses are done. The way things are going now, that won't be for another year. However, the builder is acting as the HOA until all the houses are built. There are places that people might mow once every 3 months and nothing happens to them, yet my mother-in-law goes on vacation and she gets a nasty letter in the mail telling her to either cut her grass or it will be done for her and she will get the bill for it in the mail. No trailers or RVs are allowed to be in your driveway or on the street for more than 24 hours. Yet I can list off 3 houses that have violated this rule for at least 4 months straight.

So until we have enough equity built up to get a bigger place farther out of town, I'll continue to find ways around the rules.
    Well, take lots of pics on your phone with date stamp. There's this thing called setting precedence that kills most of these legal threats. I've already informed my POA that I know how much money they have and will willingly break them with legal fees if they jack with me. Their attorney was my next door neighbor and has done legal work for me also, so would have to recuse herself. I would of course wait until they had run up a bill with her before demanding it.

I'm no attorney but I was raised by one, and watched Matlock as a kid.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

My wife and I are absolutely nothing but country folk on our 10 acre farm. We can pretty much do whatever we want out there (and do), but I do attempt to keep the place looking nice. I have two very large barns 40x60, and 104x60 for all of our animals, and equipment. No HOA will ever tell me to move my camper/horse trailer/utilty trailer/2 wheeled car dolly, or multiple vehicles.

We lived in an apartment for 1 year when we were first married 29 years ago, and even though it was our honeymoon suite, we escaped to the country whenever we could, and hated every minute of city life.

skylights in garage?

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by ogun View Post
    skylights in garage?
    Kinda hard to do when you have a 2 story house with a couple of bedrooms above the garage.

I'm a firm believer in prayer, and that it does work. Well, last week one of my brother's told me he is selling his batteries in his RV as he is upgrading to lithium due to the weight difference. Unfortunately, I did not have the cash needed to buy these batteries from him. So, I prayed about it. Lord, if it is in your will for me to have these batteries, please help make it happen. Sp yesterday morning I decided to break a rule that I have had for myself and sell one of my firearms. The firearm in question was a single shot Rossi .223 that I have put 2 rounds through it in the last 5 years. 2 hours after posting the ad, I had an offer for the rifle that was the exact amount I needed to get the batteries!!

So, within a week I should have 5 newer 98 amp/hr batteries to replace my 7 year old wore out AGM batteries!