Thread: Summer Doldrums

Default Summer Doldrums

Having trouble getting motivated here.

First it's this summer heat... one triple digit day after another... weeks of this stuff. We occasionally get a nice, moderate heat day - sure, while I'm tied up working for a living... the weekends have been like a blowtorch here.

Worst of all, it'll likely be like this all through August and nearly all of September if the annual trend holds. Bleh.

Stuff is piling up waiting on cooler weather. Really stymies me to have all this good daylight going to waste this time of year, too hot to do anything outdoors until after the sun's well down.

Don't get me wrong... I could be doing some more reloading and other stuff indoors... just got the "blah's" from being stuck indoors and unable to make progress on the things that really interest me at the moment.

Really sucks about the photobucket thing too. I felt I was making a contribution posting project pics... now, it's all gone... YEARS worth of stuff. Makes it hard to get motivated that way either... sure, maybe I could find another site... and have the same thing happen in a few weeks or months.

Wife was supposed to start a new job last month, we were both very excited about it. Now, it seems like that bright opportunity has gone sour. Not sure if it's salvageable, but not a whole lot we can do about it if it isn't.

Major is doing well, he's currently the #6 ranked Doberman in the nation... while I am indeed proud of him, I'm not really excited about that either. I'd like to be out training him for competition and protection work... nope, too hot for that kind of activity.

Daughter has a new beau - she's the light of our lives, but we're not seeing her much these days. Ah well, hope she's having a good time.

Our washing machine of 18 years was acting up. I thought I could fix it, but didn't want to gamble on it being down for weeks waiting on parts. Scored a used one for $300 - turns out, it stinks. Tried "cleansing" it... still stinks. I could replace the door gasket as that's likely the part that's holding the odor... but not going to do that until the other one is fixed. So, parts are ordered, we'll see if I've gotten the right ones or if we're just on a downhill slide still.

Lost out on a neat 30 year old NIB gun I had an eye on, Gunbroker auction. I misread the auction closing date by one day and missed out, there was only one other bid and it didn't meet the reserve, it would have been mine for the asking basically. Hasn't been relisted. Crap. Was hoping that might cheer me up or snap me out of the funk.

Did not get to make my annual exodus to gunsmithing school due to various issues. I guess missing that excitement of learning & doing something different during the day, plus the quiet solitude of the evenings in my camper, is telling on me more than I thought it would.

Even reading the prepping and firearms boards has become tiresome. Not a lot of interest in reading about more stuff when I can't handle what I've got going on already.

Well enough of listening to me moan about my non-problems. Just curious if anyone else goes through this kind of thing. Somebody wake me when it's fall!
    Last edited by bruss01; 07-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

To quote a popular country music artist on the radio "sounds like life to me" !

I know what you are saying, my wife has fibromyalgia, so not always willing, and able to help me. I usually have a self formed list written on a sheet of paper in my pocket. I have to write down my projects because there are so many, and often forget what they were, at least this way, I can focus on one thing, and then start another when I am finished with the first. I do try to accomplish at least one thing on the list each day (not normal chores).
    Last edited by ckelly78z; 07-25-2017 at 06:52 AM.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a bunch of LED 12" light strips that I am going to sell to fund some newer AGM batteries for my solar setup. I even have a lot of replacement LED bulbs for RVs but I just can't get motivated since it is so hot in the garage even early in the morning. I can barely keep up with mowing the grass.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I'm also a little down due to the VA denying my claim. They denied it because I did not have enough active duty time, but I don't have enough active duty time because I got discharged due to my injuries! It is beyond frustrating since it took 11 months for them to decide this.

That's awful Cav... hope you get to appeal.

Just got some good news... it looks like the wife's job worries have cleared up and she's to report for duty & training bright and early on Wednesday! So hooray for that! It will make a lot of the rest of it easier to take in stride.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I'm also a little down due to the VA denying my claim. They denied it because I did not have enough active duty time, but I don't have enough active duty time because I got discharged due to my injuries! It is beyond frustrating since it took 11 months for them to decide this.
    Well, that sucks! Were you injuries duty related. If so, don't understand how they can deny your claim. But these days it seems they have a "use you up then throw you on the trash pile" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Well, that sucks! Were you injuries duty related. If so, don't understand how they can deny your claim. But these days it seems they have a "use you up then throw you on the trash pile" attitude.
    Yes. Had 2 sprained ankles, Achilles tendonitis, and a pinched nerve all in my left foot during basic but I still graduated boot camp. Went to get shipped off to AIT 9 months later and they discharged me due to the foot problems. "Can't take a liability" is what the military doc said.

I thought Trump was gonna fix that bull$hit. ??!!