Thread: Losing a good boss

Default Losing a good boss

I am losing a good manager. She's been terrific at not trying to tell us how to do our jobs but running interference so we have what we need to get things done. Also been receptive to suggestions and a certain amount of "managing up". She's been a success here and earned our respect with hard work and common sense. But now life is taking her in a different direction and she will be missed.

I wasn't sure what to expect from her 4 years ago when she hired on... i've had female managers before but never a black woman. Looking back, we'd have been hard-pressed to find a better fit for our team.

After she announced her decision i was struck with the desire to offer to take her out shooting sometime soon, so i asked if she'd ever been to the range... it turns kut she has an "intro" class scheduled tomorrow! Talk about timing! She accepted an invite to go with wife and i to the range and dinner before she leaves so we can introduce her to a wider variety of defensive arms.

It's part of my mission in life to convert anti-gunners or those on the fence... this one just fell into my lap. Now the task of breaking in a new boss... i try to stay just under the radar enough to get passed over... don't want that job, don't care what they are paying. Lol.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

It's a tough deal losing a good boss like that. I'm on the other end of it but have the same problem. You get someone motivated and motivating, and they have the drive to move on if something better comes along. Color and gender have nothing to do with it. Glad you are slipping the conversion in before she leaves.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    It's a tough deal losing a good boss like that. I'm on the other end of it but have the same problem. You get someone motivated and motivating, and they have the drive to move on if something better comes along. Color and gender have nothing to do with it. Glad you are slipping the conversion in before she leaves.

Agree with Kingchip here...

We also have a new female boss. I give her the benefit of the doubt...and time to show us of what she is made. She is treading quietly and I can appreciate that in her.

I have had bad and poor male bosses over the years as well as some good ones...hence agree with what Kingchip states.

As Long as she is not one of those PC feminist types trying to push an agenda and or manufacture bad guys we will be ok...

In like manner to Bruss01...I too do not want the job and try to do my job as best I can and know.... and then quietly and discretely fade into the background.

I've been a make up boss aplenty over the years to fill in for our boss when they take vacation and or have other obligations..and that was sufficient for me.

But a good boss can make things a lot easier and more satisfying...less stressful.

But in fairness....a good crew can also make things better for a boss...and more satisfying...less stressful.

My .02,

Orangetom

You hit that right. A great boss trains up everybody else. The crew operates like a machine. Boss needs to take no credit for it, it shows volumes more than anybody could say. I try to preach that to my girls, but most don't get it. They operate with the theory that if they are the only one that knows they must be indispensable . Idiots.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields