Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justice Kennedy retiring this month?

Default Justice Kennedy retiring this month?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...his-month.html

Another Supreme Court vacancy? Kennedy rumored to retire
    The Supreme Courtís term ends next week with growing speculation that Justice Anthony Kennedy--the panelís most pivotal member--may retire at age 80 after 29 years on the court.

Action is expected on President Trumpís travel ban before the courtís long summer break but the biggest news of all would be if Kennedy were to use the courtís last public session on Monday to announce his retirement, the Associated Press reported Saturday.

Kennedy has played an important role as the courtís swing vote on many important rulings. His departure would allow conservatives to wrest near total control of the bench for the foreseeable future.

The justice has sided with his liberal colleagues on gay rights and abortion rights, as well as some cases involving race, the death penalty and the rights of people detained without charges at the Guantanamo Bay naval base. He has written all the court's major gay-rights decisions, including the 2015 ruling that declared same-sex marriage is a constitutional right nationwide

Several of his former law clerks have said they think he is contemplating stepping down in the next year or so.

Kennedy and his clerks were gathering over the weekend for a reunion that was pushed up a year and helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.

"Soon we'll know if rumors of Kennedy's retirement are accurate," one former Kennedy clerk, George Washington University law professor Orin Kerr, said on Twitter Friday.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters in April, "I would expect a resignation this summer."

Kennedy's departure would allow Trump to fill a second Supreme Court vacancy in just a short period of time.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, Trump's first nominee, joined the court in April, overriding efforts by the Democratic minority to block the nomination.

The vote came after Senate Republicans voted to change parliamentary rules to require only 51 votes to confirm Supreme Court nominees.

The other two older justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 84, and Stephen Breyer, 78, are Democratic appointees.

Neither appear to be ready to step down with Trump in the White Houseóif they can help it.

"I love my job," Ginsburg told a Georgetown University audience last month.

If this is true, I hope President Trump will nominate another relatively young solid conservative judge such as Neil Gorsuch. The left will have an ABSOLUTE MELTDOWN if that happens, and (God forbid ) Justice Ginsburg is found facedown in her oatmeal in a couple of months from now.

I hope so and good riddance to the POS if so!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

I would love to see him leave. He is as big of a help to the libs as their own 4. POS
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Boy that would make my year! RBG face down in her prune bowl!! She has hurt this great Country for too many years...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Looks like we'll get to put in three more new justices before Trumps first term is up. If that does happen, the democrats can kiss their party goodbye forever in the USA. I don't feel the least bit of sympathy for them. They did this to themselves.
    I do believe that when our second SCOTUS is placed, the Dems with nothing else to lose, will start a new revolutionary war. I also think when all this comes to fruit, our constitutional gov will ditch government meddling healthcare all together, then France and Canada, AND MAYBE EVEN Mexico will experience an influx of American immigrants to such a capacity that it will turn them all into the likes of a third world country.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 06-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    ďI know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.Ē

I think it would be great if Trump got 2 picks, 3 would be outstanding .

BUT , don't count your chickens before they hatch .................. Roberts was supposed to be a conservative and the prick cast the deciding vote to uphold Osamacare.

I would love to see Roberts leave as well. And the dykes on the left.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Yeah but Trump didn't pick Roberts. You gotta keep in mind who the pres is, and his hero is PATTON! LOL
    Remember what Einstein said:
    ďI know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.Ē

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I think it would be great if Trump got 2 picks, 3 would be outstanding .

BUT , don't count your chickens before they hatch .................. Roberts was supposed to be a conservative and the prick cast the deciding vote to uphold Osamacare.
    I thinks he realized he got played a bit too late...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    I thinks he realized he got played a bit too late...
    I smell some sort of blackmail or extortion.

We need about 4 Scalias, and zero RBG's.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields