Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back at it again

Default Back at it again

So, the three goats I had previously we sold over a year ago. I was renting pasture and I was able to keep them alive for 7 months over the winter. I got them in September and found out that October that I was due with my daughter in July. I made a good go of it, chasing escaped goats and climbing through barb wire(and needing a tetanus shot for my trouble). Then it was coming up on renewing my lease of the pasture and I just had to give them up. It was ok, they really didn't like me because I didn't sit and spend time getting them to like me. It was frickin' cold outside!! I sold them to a lady with lots of land, I'm sure they are lovin' it. Also, since it was my first jump into goats, I had purchased unregistered mixed breeds. I didn't want to spend tons of money on high quality goats only to kill them accidentally over the winter :P

So this time around, things are a bit different. No renting property. I did my research and found a third acre parcel still on the tax sale listings and made a $400 bid for it and I'm now an official land owner. Its isn't build-able for a house, it is 30' x 450' ish, so it will only work for livestock, but it is all mine However, the goats aren't there right now. I have a friend who wanted me to graze my goats in the field where she wants to build a horse corral, so they are loaned out at the moment. I fenced off 65' x 150' for them and they are as happy as clams. Now I have until the snow flies to get my property(which is alot closer to me) ready for them to over-winter. I have to clear out enough brush to navigate the property and put up fencing. The nice thing is that along the 450' borders, there is some semblance of a fence line, so I don't have to get the lines surveyed. There is a nice little creek that cuts through the property as well.

Also, I'm getting purebred, registered nigerians this time around. I've been researching pedigrees and local breeders and I have a list of all the goats I want, now I just need my budget to get what I want. Right now I have two bucklings, who will be my future herdsires and one doeling, but hopefully she will have a new friend by the end of the week, since I have a deposit down on another awesome doeling. Then I'll just start buying up all the little doelings I can afford, then some yearling does to breed this Fall for Spring 2018 kids and then if I feel like I can handle then, a couple of full grown bucks.

So here are my littles right now:

The dark buckskin with white splashes is "Buddy", the buckskin with grey/tan moonspots is "Moon", and the light buckskin with waddles is "Will". Buddy and Moon are naturally polled, so they won't grow horns and it is a dominant trait that can be passed down. Less disbudding for me.
    Attachment 1323Attachment 1324Attachment 1325Attachment 1326Attachment 1327

Congrats Renee
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

When my kids were coming up in 4H, we had a slew of Tennesee Fainting goats that they would show at the local county fair. I don't regret selling them all to one lady (she came and got all 7 goats loose in a Dodge minivan, and had an 8 hour drive home) . Those goats could dig/burrow/break through any fence, or enclosure we ever built, and the Billy reeked of a strong urine smell most of the time.

Boredom will come for your gaots, and it will becaome a struggle to keep them in an enclosure. Make sure you build it well.

Awesome, glad you were able to start again, and congrats on the great land purchase!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Goats are fun, aren't they? We love ours....they are rascals for sure..!

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    When my kids were coming up in 4H, we had a slew of Tennesee Fainting goats that they would show at the local county fair. I don't regret selling them all to one lady (she came and got all 7 goats loose in a Dodge minivan, and had an 8 hour drive home) . Those goats could dig/burrow/break through any fence, or enclosure we ever built, and the Billy reeked of a strong urine smell most of the time.

Boredom will come for your gaots, and it will becaome a struggle to keep them in an enclosure. Make sure you build it well.
    Yup, I went through that with the first set of goats, had to track them down in the neighborhood three times. The first night in this enclosure the light one got out and he wasn't happy about it at all, was trying to find his way back in

At my property, I'm going to have someone come out and drill post hole and about a foot deep trench to bury a smaller grid fence. I need to make sure that they don't dig out and something else doesn't dig in. They are nigerians, so a 4 foot fence is really all the need, but I'm going 6 foot because I have deer and elk in the area. All that and I'm going to top it off with aviary netting, because chickens will join them eventually.

I have enough land to keep the bucks separate and far enough away that there aren't any fence matings. I know they get stinky, but I'm going to give it a try. I'm considering checking out the new tax sale properties again this year and maybe trying to do two separate herds, bucks only and farm them out for buck service.

Wow, congrats Renee! Nice score on that plot of ground. What an adventure.

BTW my manager at work decided to get goats and got all males thinking he wouldn't have to worry about baby goats and neighbors complaining about seeing the goats mating every time they drive by.

He learned the hard way that male goats are *ahem* quite resourceful in a pinch and don't necessarily require females present to do what they're going to do.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Oh, I know, they hump each other, if you have little bucks, they get violated, they drink their own pee, they pee all over their beards. Most of the unpleasantness happens during rut, but they are not easy keepers. That's part of the reason I'm wanting to have a separate property eventually. The girls will visit, so less temptation for feats of heroic escape!

Congrats on both the land and the new goats!

I need to get off my butt and check out the tax sales. Been too busy with other work.