Thread: Emergency Alert for smart phones

Default Emergency Alert for smart phones

I will admit i miss a lot of texts and even calls. Sometimes it's because i am driving, asleep, in a noisy place or sometimes i have the ringer turned down. This annoys the wife and has resulted in me missing important work-related messages.

I just installed a product called Fire Alarm 2. This runs in the background on your phone. When you get a text matching certain criteria it goes off... with gusto. It will over-ride volume settings, play any alarm you have, even set off the phone's flash strobe to get your attention. It's amazing how many ways there are to configure it. I could actually program it to raise holy hell when i recieve a text from my wife's phone containing the words "answer" and "phone". Or the phrase "family emergency". I can likewise use unique text strings contained in automated alerts related to work.

I think this is going to be a fairly valuable addition to our com capability.

Oh and it is free. My favorite price!
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Need to check that out.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I found somewhere in a setting to flash the light on my phone when a phone call or text message comes in.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

The thing i really like about this is that it allows me to differentiate important, urgent messages from "hey, whenever" casual stuff... the kind of message worth pulling over and checking if you are driving... stuff that can't wait until it's convenient. My normal text alert is a light "ping" which is perfect if i'm sitting quietly reading at home. It's no good at all if i am driving with the road and traffic noise.. i have pulled over on occasion when i did happen to catch it, only to be dissalointed to find out it wasn't worth interrupting my day for.

Liking it so far...
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

When I'm in my truck, I plug my smart phone to ring through my radio. It interrupts the broadcast and rings through. I verbally tell it to "answer phone" when I see who it's from on my radio screen at a glance. If I don't want to answer, I just say " disconnect call".
    If I need to make a call I just tell my phone verbally to call so in so. that person or business has to be in my contacts.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Demo'd it for the wife, she had me help her set it up on hers as well. We keyed them to respond to the text "Bat signal" and play the 60's Batman theme at top volume while flashing the camera strobe. If she misplaces her phone (happens more often than you might think) she can send an email through Verizon to it and be able to zero in, because it will keep playing indefinitely until you deactivate it.

What's esecially helpful is that if you've turned the volume down for a movie or meeting and forget to turn it back up later, this app will over-ride the phone's volume setting and blast you full tilt, regardless. The only thing it won't over-ride is a dead battery or the off switch.

We agreed this is a "drop everything" alert that we won't abuse for convenience... not that it has to be a "life-threatening" situation, but should at least be time-sensitive and urgent if we aren't responding to regular phone or text contact. Like showing up at a job interview and realizing the resume you thought was in your folder is still on the printer... time enough to run the copy over to you but not enough for a round trip. Or you need to wake them up from a sound sleep due to a sudden change of plans.

I don't know about you folks but I frequently have missed calls where I would swear the phone never rang at all, though it's 12 inches right in front of me. Don't know why, it just doesn't ring sometimes. This annoys the wife big time... she thinks I'm just ignoring her. I've heard sometimes the sinal from the tower doesn't sync up properly. Anyway, a text is a much more reliable com channel, you can get a text through often when a call will not go through.
    Last edited by bruss01; 06-17-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Great idea, but I wouldn't let the wifey know about it, it would spoil all my excuses If I was in a meeting with the VP and it took off, I can only imagine what would happen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Great idea, but I wouldn't let the wifey know about it, it would spoil all my excuses If I was in a meeting with the VP and it took off, I can only imagine what would happen !!!
    Yeah, that's why it's important to limit it to people you can trust to handle it with discernment. If I'm in a meeting (work hours) she knows better than to set off the bat signal to get me to pick up milk on the way home. But if she's going to the ER that's something I don't mind telling work to go put itself on hold, my baby's in the hospital and needs me there.