Thread: Grandma's Garden Oasis Complete

Default Grandma's Garden Oasis Complete

Soooooo, grandma read my book series and it kind of freaked her out... and made her think about where her food comes from. As a result, she wanted me to build her a good sized garden for her. She's retired and wants something to do so she figured if she had a big enough garden, she could take over for me and some of the things I do with regard to preparedness (canning, dehydrating, storing, seed harvesting, etc.). Her plan is to supplement the diets of three families (8 people in total). As a result, I've been teaching her for the better part of the winter and spring and transferring as much knowledge to her as she was willing to accept.

Here's the finished result... ~ 140 sq. ft. of pure nirvana!

IMG_4975.jpgIMG_4976.jpgIMG_4977.jpgIMG_4978.jpg

Here's the parts list if anyone is interested.

4 cu. yds. of clean dirt
    8 bags organic manure
    8 bags organic topsoil
    8 @ 2x8x16 pine
    6 @ 4x4x8 cedar post
    6 @ 1x4x8 cedar (for railing)
    2 @ 1x4x10 cedar (for railing)
    2 @ 2x4x8 pressure treated (for gate)
    3 @ 5/8x6x8 cedar (for gate)
    1 gate kit
    1 gate latch
    2 50' rolls of rabbit fence
    1 box fence staples
    1 box 3" exterior screws (for boxes, posts, and railing)
    30 1 1/4" exterior screws (for cedar on gate)
    Hannibal ad portas

That's cool that you are teaching her (not the other way around), and it gives her something meaningful to do. I think most people would live longer if they ate good fresh produce, and spent the energy taqking care of a garden (getting out of their chair). like she has chosen to do.

Very beautiful and well organized. Later, or each year here after, you might want to think about raising the beds 8 to 10" at a time. As she gets older she will appreciate it from not having to stoop and bend over.

Very nicely done!!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Very nice
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Very nice !!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Very beautiful and well organized. Later, or each year here after, you might want to think about raising the beds 8 to 10" at a time. As she gets older she will appreciate it from not having to stoop and bend over.

Very nicely done!!
    Been thinking about doing just that Cami! Here's what I've managed to cram into this space...

IMG_4648.jpg

Managed 8 tomatoes in that bed instead of six and shuffled some other things around, but this is generally what went in the ground. The corn, carrots onions, and asparagus went into the ground as seeds.
    Hannibal ad portas

WOW! That really looks great! Mine's "a bit" larger than that...a little over 2000sq ft , (I enlarged it just a tad). My oldest daughter and I are planning to make some "modifications" this fall to make it a little easier on my old aching back. The plan is to use raised beds. I have drawn a map and there will be seven raised beds 3x40 ft and six raised beds 3x20 ft , with four feet between the beds to allow room to get the lawn mower and weed trimmer in between them. If my calculations are correct that will give us 1200 sq ftof actual garden. Done correctly that should grow a whole lot of good stuff. I have other ideas too, such as using square foot gardening for some of it for some things. Its and idea and a work in progress right now. Still thinking about what mixture of "soil" I'm going to use. Planning to lay landscape fabric in double layer under the beds, and run it up the inside to help keep weeds and grass from growing into the beds. That should almost eliminate the need for tilling, and it will still drain well. Should be able to prepare the soil for planting each spring with just a long pronged rake to loosen the soil. Further, add compost and other amendments to continue to "grow" good soil. I also want to make it totally organic. That way the vegetables we grow will be wholesome and nutritious rather than being full of chemicals. And its very important to me that my family has healthy foods on the table. Becki, my oldest daughter, and I are getting really excited about it. My youngest daughter and grand daughter will most likely be a good bit involved with it too. A great family project we're really looking forward to.
    Last edited by beowulf; 06-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.