Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some pointers on grapes....... Help!

Default need some pointers on grapes....... Help!

This is their third year and first year producing grapes (last year I cut all the little pods off) I have so many grapes it's crazy, but I think they have a fungus. There's black and/or brown spots on many of them and some are rotting, they're no where close to being ripe. I will try and get a picture in the morning.

I trimmed several vines back and will remove some leaves tomorrow but would love some advice.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    This is their third year and first year producing grapes (last year I cut all the little pods off) I have so many grapes it's crazy, but I think they have a fungus. There's black and/or brown spots on many of them and some are rotting, they're no where close to being ripe. I will try and get a picture in the morning.

I trimmed several vines back and will remove some leaves tomorrow but would love some advice.
    I have the same problem flock. My grapes are loaded and beautiful but when they start to ripen they get spots and start shriveling. I think it because it is too wet, grapes do better in dry weather, but it may be a fungus.

It's rained all day here and heavy rains yesterday. I just got back from Va yesterday after being gone nearly three weeks only coming in for a day or two, my yard is a hay field and my garden is a jungle. I spent about 5 hours in the garden today pulling stinging nettle till dark, and I haven't even started on the grass..........I'm almost ready to roundup the whole thing.

I'm not fussing though, I haven't had to water the garden once! I had one of my daughters plant those bean seed in between my corn a few days ago, we'll see how they turn out.

Back on subject, do you think thinning the leaves will help?

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    It's rained all day here and heavy rains yesterday. I just got back from Va yesterday after being gone nearly three weeks only coming in for a day or two, my yard is a hay field and my garden is a jungle. I spent about 5 hours in the garden today pulling stinging nettle till dark, and I haven't even started on the grass..........I'm almost ready to roundup the whole thing.

I'm not fussing though, I haven't had to water the garden once! I had one of my daughters plant those bean seed in between my corn a few days ago, we'll see how they turn out.

Back on subject, do you think thinning the leaves will help?
    I wish I knew flock. Thinning the leaves might help if it is a moisture problem, they would dry out faster, but if it is something else, might not help at all. I wish I knew, it's frustrating having so many grapes and not being able to eat any.

Call your county extension agent. They may be able to help out over the phone. Their typically a big help for stuff like this.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Thank you, I will snap some pictures and take a sample to to him. I didn't think about that.

Too much water causes this. It is a fungus. When I know we are going to have multi days of rain, I try to cover as much of my grapes as I can reach. What you have it a case of blite (sp). When you see blite, there is a fungal spray you can use or you can use a 1 part vinegar to 1 part olive oil and spray the leave and trunk. It kills the blite but won't save the leaves. You'll have to remove the affected leave and fruit. That will promote new growth.

I assume you prune back in the fall?
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

The first fall I cut everything back to within a foot of the roots leaving only one or two of the bigger vines. Last year I left the bigger vines that I trained onto the trellis. This year they have just exploded and there are so many bunches of grapes, yesterday I cut some of the crazy vines that didn't have anywhere to go. I was so looking forward to having my own grapes..........

I have a Concord grape vine in my backyard. It has been there for about six or seven years, maybe longer, now. I don't water it now, except in cases of extreme draught...which we haven't had in a long time now. Again this year the thing is loaded. I love to ride by on the lawn mower when they get ripe and grab a cluster to munch on as I mow the lawn. Mine is about four feet high and about 8-10 feet long. I used four foot metal fence posts and paracord for supports. Works great. Have to trim it back every year or the thing would spread all over the yard. They're not the greatest for making wine, but MAN, are they tasty just to pick and eat! Just wish they were the seedless variety. Oh yeah, they DO make great jelly. One more thing you might find interesting; I order it from, ya ain't gonna believe this, Publishers Clearinghouse.
    Last edited by beowulf; 06-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Here's an up close of a cluster
    Attached Images Attached Images