Thread: Spending a little quality time with the boy.

Default Spending a little quality time with the boy.

I've been running pretty hard for the past few weeks working out of town and trying to catch up the home chores in between. This past Sunday after church we loaded up the canoe, a few poles and the get home bag then we headed to the lake.

The lake is less than 20 minutes away, we go to a boat ramp that is mostly used by kayakers and people with small boats because it's an area that is fed by a few creeks and not very deep. We scouted around and found us a nice secluded area to camp. There are campgrounds on this lake and some very nice marinas, but we were a little rebellious and found a little island very dense and secluded, it was about 800 yards long and around 60 ft. Wide that happens to be Corp property so technically we were trespassing....... he caught a nice little catfish that we cooked for supper (he said it was the best catfish he ever had LOL) along with a couple of hot dogs and a few marshmallows.

Since I wasn't sure if we were allowed to be there or not we didn't make a fire but used the sterno alcohol stove from my bag, it worked very well!

This island happened to be the nesting grounds for what seemed to be 3.7 million cranes...... we saw the nests and very large areas of droppings, but didn't really think anything about it. As the sun went down the cranes started returning home and talking about their day.......... those things were loud and make so many different noises it was like being in the jungle (I've never been to the jungle). At around three in the morning it sounded like an army of gnomes with little hammers tapping an old oak board....... At around daybreak I ventured out of the little one man tent (took me a couple of minutes) make some coffee and walk around a bit before cooking some eggs with canned bacon and cheese and waking the boy. He got out of the tent much easier than me LOL, after he was good and awake I asked him how he slept and if the cranes bothered him, he replied no sir, couldn't even hear them over your snoring...........

We spent the rest of the day paddling around and fishing, more than a few times he said it was the best trip ever (parenting win) we talked with a few boaters, took a picture for a guy with his first catch on his new kayak on the way back to the ramp we spotted a 7 or 8 foot chicken snake swimming across the lake, we paddled closer to grab a picture and he decided he wanted a boat ride neither of us are scared of snakes and it was harmless, but it was half as long as the canoe and wanted in, we were paddling like we were in deliverance ( we were making a wake lol).

It was a great little outing, we had lots of fun, and were exhausted by the time we got home. Here's a couple of photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

That's awesome flock, bet he will remember that day for a long time.

Sounds like a great trip.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Kind of you to drown out the crane noises for him. Sounds like an awesome outing and opportunity to try out stuff that we hope works as advertised, if we need it.

Son is 29 now but we were talking about a trip we did with scouts when he was around 10-12. Our first and last scout camp trip. Showed up in designated spot which was an island in the Guadalupe River, owned by the closest Electric Co-op. First rule, not fires. Second rule, no fishing. I'm wondering why I'm here.

Seasoned scout dads have their own fire pit set up and steaks. We ate what the boys cooked. Hot Dogs for supper, and I got one cold one. Breakfast was worse. Cold Scrambled eggs, colder bacon. No salt or pepper, and no salsa, a sin. Was never so happy to get home.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 06-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

LOL, we packed a small cooler with a pack of hotdogs, six eggs, 4 slices of bread and cheese, and 6 bottles of water. Everything else we had was in my get home bag. No radio, no phone (except to take pictures, it was put away) only our conversation. I truly enjoyed our time, I believe if I could only pick one person to be by my side in a tough situation I would pick him. He's tough, smart, shoots very well, catches fish lol, he's game for sure.

The only failure we had was the olive oil in my bag had gone rancid, but no problem we had bacon.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

That's awesome flock!! My son is 23 and still gets a kick out of doing stuff like that! I too would have my son by my side in any situation. He is so much like me it's frightening.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge