Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experiment- Orange Bourbon

Default Experiment- Orange Bourbon

I like both a good bourbon and i like oranges and was struck with the idea they might be good together.

The wife thinks i am crazy but that's nothing new.

Using an old mason jar i cut up a large orange which went into the jar nearly filling it and then filled it with Bulliet bourbon... which is not my fav but it's good for the price.

If this works out i can see perserving quite a few oranges this way... not unlike how they used alcohol to preserve fruit off season back in the day. Fruitcake is a similar tradition.

Of course the wife thinks i am a fruitcake anyway but at least i'll be a well-preserved one.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Reminds me of one of my favorite cocktails, the Dagny Taggart from Seven Grand in LA (irony of that drink coming from LA is not lost):

1 3/4 oz. Wash Ardbeg 10-year
    1/2 oz. Aperol
    1/4 oz. Torani Amer
    Garnish: flamed orange peel

Stir all ingredients, except ice, in a mixing glass. Strain over a large piece of ice into an Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with a flamed orange peel.

I've tried something like this but using lemons and vodka. I used the zest only of about a dozen lemons and a quart of Smirnoff.
    Pretty tasty.

A lot of the mixology cocktail bars do infused whiskeys with orange. Add a few vanilla beans and you've got a good bourbon there.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Sounds like hooby-dooby juice. Cut a hole in a watermelon, cut some out , fill it with cherries, whatever other fruit you like, a bottle of pure grain or shine. Makes people's clothes fall off.

Naw! HELL naw! I refuse to mess up good bourbon. Just pour it in a glass...no ice...and add just a touch of branch water....or drink it straight. Anything else is just WRONG! Good sippin whiskey needs no additives.

Know what goes great with most bourbons? Coca-Cola.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Sounds like hooby-dooby juice. Cut a hole in a watermelon, cut some out , fill it with cherries, whatever other fruit you like, a bottle of pure grain or shine. Makes people's clothes fall off.
    Now that's what I am talking about!
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Naw! HELL naw! I refuse to mess up good bourbon. Just pour it in a glass...no ice...and add just a touch of branch water....or drink it straight. Anything else is just WRONG! Good sippin whiskey needs no additives.
    I'm with you... mostly - I do favor a bit of ice... it melts in, brings out some of the more subtle flavors.

A good 10-16 year old scotch is one of my favorite indulgences... single malt, peaty and smokey... The Islay varieties are among my favorites.

Woodford Reserve is top notch bourbon and nothing makes a smoother mint Julep. Which, you cannot get made anywhere (properly, it seems).

But yeah, this was really about the fruit and would it result in both edible fruit without the nutrients cooked out and a drinkable flavored bourbon afterward. From what I've read 2 weeks is about optimum for both, but can be kept months if desired.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I've owned a couple of bars, I don't drink anymore. Not against it, just no desire anymore. Except shine, I'll take a snip if in good company.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.