Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not Your Father's. EMP - Why It's Different Now

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    My question is how well will cages work? Mine is a metal trash can, lined with rubber mat pieces, soldered ground wire to ground rod. I keep starter, alternator, distributor cap, rotor, plugs for Jeep CJ's. Hope it works.

Put a cell phone inside and then seal it up. Then call the cell phone. If it rings, it won’t shield anything. If it does not ring then there is a good chance everything will be fine.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I would go with an AM/FM radio. Cell phones require a digital signal to pass in order to ring. If it gets too garbled, it'll just drop off the network; that's a low bar to measure how much RF power is getting through. A radio will just play whatever it receives, giving you an analog measure of how much is blocked. Walkie talkies are great if you turn off squelch because you get the analog measure but you also can put the transmitter right next to the container which seriously bumps up the signal strength.

I saw an actual study and demonstration on this. It is difficult to completely block signal but you can attenuate the signal strength using layers. Best i saw was a galvanized trash can sealed with aluminum tape... that tape makes it difficult to use or inspect the contents routinely. It was demonstrated that you could get almost as good protection by putting that radio in a ziploc bag, wrapping in aluminum foil, inside a tool box or ammo can, inside an old filing cabinet, for example. Still protected but you don't have to deal with the tape to get to the contents.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I have been curious about these faraday bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Darkn...XfL&ref=plSrch

I'm almost finished with my office, it was unintentional but my fm radio or cell phone doesn't work inside....... so y'all are saying my office is a large faraday cage?.........WIN!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I'm almost finished with my office, it was unintentional but my fm radio or cell phone doesn't work inside....... so y'all are saying my office is a large faraday cage?.........WIN!
    I work as a prototype engineer for a large rubber company. My "Lab" has a lot of high powered equipment that may provide interference, but the room was built in a metal sided/roofed 60x100 room that has spray on insulation. I sometimes get 1 bar on my cell phone, but step out the back door, and get 4 bars....I call it my faraday cage.

In an EMP SHTF situation, I think the only thing you could use a cell phone for is to look at saved pictures, and possibly have an auxiliary flashlight. This would only be possible if the battery and internal electronics weren't damaged. Unfortunately if the grid is down, the only way to charge it would be solar, or wind if thier circuitry wasn't damaged as well.
    Last edited by ckelly78z; 08-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Post EMP, a cellphone could still provide GPS, sensors (level/compass), compass, recording, radio, basic networking via wifi/bluetooth, etc. Still very useful.

Yes Daelith..
    There are a LOT of tools that don't require a cell-tower connection. Download free tools while they are available. Use them offline when there is no connection.

Everyone should have a cheap Raspberry- Pi with free Linux OS tucked away safe. Have a dinky or obsolete monitor tuvked away with it. Lots of info on disk or usb stick. Might come in useful someday.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I have two or three, and an SDR so I can pull weather satellites. Might come in very handy.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Of course, this thread is about an EMP, and lots of things, such as GPS (and other) satellites won't work. Going on a camping trip to the Antarctica, and I see your point