Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Your Father's. EMP - Why It's Different Now

And this right here is why you need to keep several gas/diesel cans on hand, and filled at all times. If an EMP takes out the grid for any length of time, lines at the gas station will rival 1974, and civil unrest will ensue. If the power goes out, at least I won't have a job to commute to, and can circle the wagons (so to speak) on the home front.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Just going to leave this right here.........
    A week wouldn't be bad... inconvenient, a trifle painful for some, but once restored most would get over it quickly.

The thing is... unlike our Amish friend pictured above, most folks these days do not have "simple" means of doing the things that the Amish manage every day because of their tools and infrastructure.

Also, unlike most power outages on record (even in the wake of hurricanes) there is relief shipped in from outside the affected area, and/or people can simply leave and go to a hotel or relatives who live in an area where power is still on.

If it's the entire continental US we are talking about... no "relief" is coming any time soon, and there's no unaffected place to evac to. You're just stuck.

Water and basic sanitation are going to be HUGE challenges without electric pumps. It's a problem inside 24 hours... a dire situation at 36. The same with food within a week.

Maybe not a bad deal for those who are prepared for it (either with their own back-up power or non-electric substitutes) but it'll get to be a big deal in about 3-4 days for folks who don't have those options. At that point, dealing with those folks, becomes the challenge for those few who DID prepare.

Not going to be a fun time for anyone, even for those whose first instinct may be to laugh, point and call out "I told you so".

Cities/towns may have the biggest problems... but they'll also be the focal point for whatever relief or restoration that happens. Outlying areas will be handled weeks or months after... so if living in the boonies, be set for a long haul... the cities (what's left of them) will have their lights and utilities back a long time before they will out there. This is dictated by restoring power to the most people, fastest. Just makes sense.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-24-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

With a septic tank, and a good running stream next to the house, I can keep the toilets flushing.We have more food on hand than most of our neighbors, but choices will get thin after a couple weeks. As long as I can get water to the 30" camper, we would most likely use it quite a bit for it's propane stove/oven, battery powered lights, water pump/gravity toilet, and dump the remains in our horse pile.

We have about 20 free range chickens, so eggs are plentiful, and meat is there if needed........starting with the roosters, and good fishing just down the road.

I do totally agree with the non-preppers starting to search/hunt/steal after a few days, so I am comforted with the prospect of plenty of ammo.

If it's going to happen I'd rather it happen sooner than later. My children are young and can adapt easier. As far as I'm concerned I'm in the prime of my life. I'm as ready as I can currently maintain, I honestly believe the Amish life is easier than the hustle of now.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.