Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not Your Father's. EMP - Why It's Different Now

And this right here is why you need to keep several gas/diesel cans on hand, and filled at all times. If an EMP takes out the grid for any length of time, lines at the gas station will rival 1974, and civil unrest will ensue. If the power goes out, at least I won't have a job to commute to, and can circle the wagons (so to speak) on the home front.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Just going to leave this right here.........
    A week wouldn't be bad... inconvenient, a trifle painful for some, but once restored most would get over it quickly.

The thing is... unlike our Amish friend pictured above, most folks these days do not have "simple" means of doing the things that the Amish manage every day because of their tools and infrastructure.

Also, unlike most power outages on record (even in the wake of hurricanes) there is relief shipped in from outside the affected area, and/or people can simply leave and go to a hotel or relatives who live in an area where power is still on.

If it's the entire continental US we are talking about... no "relief" is coming any time soon, and there's no unaffected place to evac to. You're just stuck.

Water and basic sanitation are going to be HUGE challenges without electric pumps. It's a problem inside 24 hours... a dire situation at 36. The same with food within a week.

Maybe not a bad deal for those who are prepared for it (either with their own back-up power or non-electric substitutes) but it'll get to be a big deal in about 3-4 days for folks who don't have those options. At that point, dealing with those folks, becomes the challenge for those few who DID prepare.

Not going to be a fun time for anyone, even for those whose first instinct may be to laugh, point and call out "I told you so".

Cities/towns may have the biggest problems... but they'll also be the focal point for whatever relief or restoration that happens. Outlying areas will be handled weeks or months after... so if living in the boonies, be set for a long haul... the cities (what's left of them) will have their lights and utilities back a long time before they will out there. This is dictated by restoring power to the most people, fastest. Just makes sense.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

With a septic tank, and a good running stream next to the house, I can keep the toilets flushing.We have more food on hand than most of our neighbors, but choices will get thin after a couple weeks. As long as I can get water to the 30" camper, we would most likely use it quite a bit for it's propane stove/oven, battery powered lights, water pump/gravity toilet, and dump the remains in our horse pile.

We have about 20 free range chickens, so eggs are plentiful, and meat is there if needed........starting with the roosters, and good fishing just down the road.

I do totally agree with the non-preppers starting to search/hunt/steal after a few days, so I am comforted with the prospect of plenty of ammo.

If it's going to happen I'd rather it happen sooner than later. My children are young and can adapt easier. As far as I'm concerned I'm in the prime of my life. I'm as ready as I can currently maintain, I honestly believe the Amish life is easier than the hustle of now.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    The EMP we are talking about is a special effect that only happens when a nuke goes off above the Earth's atmosphere. The direct EMP from that bomb doesn't reach very far. But the bomb does give off a lot of gamma rays... a type of ionizing radiation that travels at the speed of light in all directions. There is a layer of the Earth's high upper atmosphere that is made up of charged molecules because they are right on the edge of space.
    Your are correct, sir. What I wrote in Part III of my series supports your post. What I wrote is basically a conversationalized version of what I researched. Here's what I said:

-----

Scott proceeded to walk over to the easel and pick up a marker. He drew multiple columns and labeled each 'E1', 'E2', and 'E3' respectively. Chester nodded his agreement.
    "Okay. Regardless of altitude at detonation or magnitude contained within the warhead, an EMP from an atmospheric blast is basically comprised of three components," he began and pointed to the labels.

"The E1 phase is very fast and extremely intense. This is the part that causes electrical surges and begins to fry everything. The gamma radiation travels at almost 90% the speed of light and it does this by using something called the 'Compton Effect'. That gets kind of technical so we'll just write 'surge' for E1.

"E2 is like lightning," he continued and paused to write the term under the 'E2' heading. "Most everything is shrouded against common weather related power surges and electrical storms through USB's and surge protectors, but E2 adds insult to injury because it immediately follows E1. The E1 phase provides a gateway through the protection because, as I said, it fries everything. To be clear, by 'fries everything' I mean the amount of energy coursing through the lines amps up so quickly and intensely that the blast of electricity pushes the insulators and diodes beyond their maximum thresholds. Once the E1 component takes out the initial defense of the system, E2 comes along and hits everything as if it were never protected to begin with.

"E3 is the big brother sucker punch that keeps on giving. The first two components only take seconds or milliseconds, but this piece, on the other hand, can last a few minutes. Once E1 and E2 are done, part three shows up like a solar flare, or geomagnetic storm. This is commonly referred to as the Carrington Event."

Scott paused and turned to the board once more. He wrote 'solar flare' under the appropriate heading and then chose a different color and jotted down 'milliseconds' under 'E1', 'seconds' under 'E2', and 'minutes' under 'E3'.

"The EMP aspect of this phase takes out the high voltage lines and low orbiting satellites. You'll know it when you see it because it will appear similar to an aurora borealis." The student then paused and turned to Chester and asked, "How'd I do?"
    -----
    Hannibal ad portas

Wow. Thread killer...
    Hannibal ad portas

the problem with the current EMP discussion - data & facts are all still based on the EMP effect from the standard nukes the Russians deployed for decades for target destruction - ground or near ground detonations ....

the new enhanced EMP nukes are variants from the neutron bomb program and would be sub-orbital high altitude >>>> whole different animal ....

NORAD moved back into Cheyenne Mt a few years ago after extensive EMP protection upgrades - they are taking the EMP threat damn seriously ....

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Ditto...

YES Neutron bomb.....The true equalizer. I have heard the U.S. did away with they're neutron bombs....Who believes all the gov tells them??? I am aware that due to the 7 day half life of radiation in the Neutron bomb is has been looked at majorly in places where a long term residual effect of radiation who be harmful to those that used it....

My question is how well will cages work? Mine is a metal trash can, lined with rubber mat pieces, soldered ground wire to ground rod. I keep starter, alternator, distributor cap, rotor, plugs for Jeep CJ's. Hope it works.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields