Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Your Father's. EMP - Why It's Different Now

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    I'm hoping my 72 Wagoneer survives one...
    I had an 86 Wagoneer Skeet - it was a good truck but for various reasons I had to let it go. Wish I still had it. This isn't mine, but it looked near identical:

The springs were a bit saggy so I put new shocks and a set of 2" lift springs on it. Sounds simple but it was one of the most miserable auto repair tasks I'd ever undertaken. Stuff was rusted solid under there and basically had to be cut out - easy if you have a shop with the right tools... a pain in the keister if all you have is a single-wide garage and most certainly NOT the right tools. I think I'm still fishing crud out of my eyes from that job.

That '72 is about as safe a bet as any I would expect... providing it hasn't been upgraded with electronic fuel injection or ignition. My Scout does have electronic ignition but it's of a type buried inside the distributor and I think a bit more resilient for that. One of my aims for this year is to source an OEM NOS distributor for the vehicle and to take the one that's in there now and stash it away somewhere "safe" just in case. About the only other things worth getting concerned over is the diodes in the alternator (your '72 may or may not have those, if you have a separate voltage regulator probably not). You could store a spare alternator, or they make alternator rebuild kits that have just the needed parts. I plan to get those as well, and tuck them away with the distributor. Some folks prefer points and condenser - which need to be swapped out at tune-ups... an additional step, and it requires a supply of replacements. Everything has it's pro's and con's. My preference is the electronic unit for maintenance reasons... if it survives the EMP it'll last a long time I think.

The '70s electronics are pretty robust internally from EMP because the internals are a lot larger than todays microcircuitry. That's not to say they don't come with their own challenges, such as general reliability. Keeping spares on hand, shielded, is a good backup plan for both potential causes of failure.

Nothing's a sure bet in life and with life getting weirder all the time, it looks like that is more true than ever these days. But those are a couple of practical measures I could take and not have too much sunk into it.

BTW how about a couple of pictures of the old girl? I'm a big fan of the Jeep Gladiator trucks and always kind of took a shine to the J-20's as well.

Last edited by bruss01; 05-23-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Guess I need to shop harder for my current dream vehicle. My kids both have 80's model CJ-7's that I hope will make it. Unfortunately they are in San Antonio what used to be a major military hub, but less so now.

I'm still shopping for the 50-53 Chevy 3100 five window, stock.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Many moons ago I owned an '85 Wagoneer. It was really great, except for the electrical issues, and flooding issues, and worn out leaf springs.

If you have an older carbed vehicle, it might not be a bad idea to get ahold of some larger fuel jets so you can retune the carb to run on ethanol which you can make yourself.

I really want a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton work van with the 300 straight 6 as those are bulletproof engines and are very simple to work on. What I would love even more is the same Ford van with a Cummins 3.9L 4BT under the hood! Mechanical injection so impervious to EMP.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

my emp proof vehicle, dumb as a rock.
    1982 diesel, no electronics

Just going to leave this right here.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    my emp proof vehicle, dumb as a rock.
    1982 diesel, no electronics

VERY nice! You won't pass anything on the highway unless there is an EMP. Then it's on like The Walking Dead!

You mean breaking bad? So what are you really doing these days Explo? Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Dang skeeter, my wife complains cause I drive a 98 chevy.
    lmao pretty good! It hasn't been restored yet. 1 more yr or so and my oldest son to be 13 And I will restore it. Knowing my wife, once it's frame off restored and all brand new I'll have to beat her away with a stick! Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    You mean breaking bad? So what are you really doing these days Explo? Lol
    That works too.

You won't pass anything on the highway unless there is an EMP.
    yep, she's about as aerodynamic as a brick. 60 mph wide open down hill, lol.

but at $3,000 it was a steal.

So what are you really doing these days Explo
    well put all new tires, belts, hoses, brake lines, glow plugs, etc etc - maybe another $2K.

right now it just sits as a guest room cause the wife refuses to take a trip in it, LOL. Something like fear of break down, hehe

but i got a working 4kw propane genny and fridge which was worth the whole $ to me.

since we already bugged out, this bad boy is only for close by nuke strike, chem release etc. Othewise we stay put