Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bee's

Live Free or Die

Me too. Attachment 1729
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Maybe next year......sigh. congrats y'all !
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

honey.jpg

I have gotten 6 gallons out of this hive this yr
    Last edited by C. Wildcat; 06-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Live Free or Die

Oh how BEAUTIFUL! I haven't pulled honey yet, other that a few jars for our use when I was cleaning up my hives. I've just been adding honey boxes because they are going gang busters on storing pollin and bee bread, which is fine by me. I have a few boxes I can pull but I'm still waiting until July so I can leave them a box or two each hive for winter, along with plenty of pollin and bee bread so I don't have to winter feed.
    I don't sell my honey. I give it away to friends, family, neighbors and us. The bees get to keep the rest. I raise them mostly for pollinating my gardens.

Your honey is absolutely gorgeous!! Looks like we will get a bit of Passion flower honey this year. With all the rain we got this year, Passion flowers are everywhere! The honey is really dark and rich. The honey I took last month when cleaning up is golden like yours, and tangy. I'm thinking wildflower........ a bit of nettle and goldenrod along with Black-eyed Susan, blue bonnet, Indian paint brush and forgetmeknots. ITS YUMMY!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

It was super dark last year.... This year it's a golden color... I believe I'll get 3 more gallons before I take the flow super off.... I don't sell any either I gave away most of the 1st batch I got.... Making mead out of some this and the rest of last yrs honey..
    Last edited by C. Wildcat; 06-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Live Free or Die

Never got into mead. Don't care for it.
    Out of one hive, that's pretty damn good! What made you go with a flow hive. All of mine are the old style langstroth hives. Manual labor of love. Those boxes are getting heavy for this old woman but I still enjoy it. I use the large boxes for brood and the mediums for honey stores.

I honestly don't know why I picked the flow hive, but I'm glad I did... I've started another hive this spring and it will be a flow hive too ... Making mead is a skill I wanted to learn.... I don't drink much alcohol , but I do like the taste of mead... Going to make a blueberry melomel (honey wine) next....
    Live Free or Die

I never acquired a taste for any kind of alcohol plus it gives me migraines.
    Hubs and I will share a small strawberry Rita about once a yr as long as it very light on the liquor. Hubs doesn't drink either. We're both light weights when it comes to booze. No drugs either. That Shlt scares me to death.

Aside from that, I do keep a couple bottles of Jim Beam in my store just incase, strictly for medicinal use. I also keep a couple 6 pks of various kinds of locally made beer in my store, and a couple bottles of wine. All of it has been in there for several years, untouched. I picked up the wine when I was in France. That was in 95'. LOL