Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't weed much but my garden doesn't seem to be lacking

Default Can't weed much but my garden doesn't seem to be lacking

I hurt my back about 6 weeks ago and it hurts to use the weed hoe or bend over to pull them.

This is part of my small kitchen garden.

Corn in the back, then bush beans in front of the corn, then spinach in front of the beans, and my five monster zucchini plants which are producing like crazy!

This is 1/4 of my kitchen garden from the right side. Lots and lots of good food!

My Zucchini plants got big this year. I planted 5 seeds in this little plot! We're going to MIL's house this weekend for Mother's Day. I'm gonna dump a bunch of Zucchini of her. Hehe

Last edited by Camouflaged; 05-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Sorry to hear about your back. I got two bad disc of my own. It sucks no way around it.

I don't see many weeds in your garden. But I know how fast that can change.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

No more hoe'ing around for me hehe..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I just took those pic before posting them. Not a lot of weeds but more than I like to see. I usually stay on top of them. I try to keep this garden completely weed free.

I do not know what I did but I have a bulged disc that's pressing against the sciatic nerve on my right side. Been having to walk with a cane for several weeks. Hurts like hell!

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your back. I got two bad disc of my own. It sucks no way around it.

I don't see many weeds in your garden. But I know how fast that can change.

Love the play on words there flock! lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    No more hoe'ing around for me hehe..........

I wish I could get mine as weed free as yours. It's damn near impossible. It looks awesome.

Have you tried any therapy for your back. PT's do more for me than anything. The exercises they put me thru gives relief, but it takes several weeks typically. My favorite is the TENS treatment with an icepack after the workout. When mine flares up I get bad muscle spasams that makes it hard to get a comfortable position. Sitting is murder, standing helps for a bit, but the muscles wear out quickly. Lying down doesn't help much either. Best of luck on healing up.

I can not stand seeing weeds in my garden. Makes me feel like I have a dirty house. lol.. Crazy huh? Right now I can only do minimal weeding. Hubs bought me a garden torch that holds the small propane canisters so I can weed with it without having to bend or stoop. I have a 4 wheeled sit on cart with a tractor seat but I still have to bend some.

I bought a tens unit. I've used it a lot but sometimes I just need to give it a rest. Some days it's not to bad and other days I can barely climb out of bed in the morning. I get sort of stuck. Yeah I was given those exercises. Those help too but only short term. I also bought me a 7" think memory foam pad with 4" thick sides for when I'm in the living room watching TV and a Verta pillow to put between my knees when I'm laying down. That helps a lot. I hope I'm not going to end up having some kind of surgery. I'm trying to avoid that.

The pillow between the knees helps a lot. Getting over it takes time. Mine flares up ever so often , so I try and be as careful as I can with it. When it's bad I can barely get my socks on.

Your garden looks great to me Cammie. Sure hope your back heals up quick. Back trouble is no fun at all.

Our rain is supposed to quit tomorrow. 3 days is enough. Hopefully it will dry out enough the next few days I can get some things planted Mon. or Tues.

Backpacker, maybe I'm just not giving it enough time to heal. It's been about 6 weeks + since it happened. It has gotten better over time. When it first started, I could barely walk and like you, I was having awful spasms across my lower back and down the back of my right leg to just above the knee bend. Man I have never felt such pain. Now it's just my right hip and lower right side of my back, but still I have to be so careful with every move. This really sucks!

Thanks Bam! I take a lot of pride in my gardening even though me a hubby are the only ones to see it. I love going out there and just sitting. It's so peaceful and smells wonderful. Especially when my flowers are blooming and the herbs are at their peak! My other two bigger gardens aren't as eye appealing but still just as productive. They are just rows and rows of vegetables. No flowers or structures. They are strictly for production for canning and stocking my cellar shelves..

I'll be moving slowly but tomorrow is potato harvest day. Ack!