Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding which Rooster to cull

Default Need help deciding which Rooster to cull

There's tons of sites on how to kill a rooster, but I'm having a hard time finding a site to help figure out which one needs to go. So here's my situation.

I've had chickens for just over a year now, 11 hens and 5 rooster. Yes I know that's too many roosters, but until last night, things have been fine. Our 5 roosters are Sony: an Auracanna, he's been the Alpha rooster from the start, Darth Egger: Large Black Cochin, he's been the beta rooster. Lando Cal-eggian: don't remebr his breed, but he's a gimp, bad leg and has a hunch, we've kept him around so far because... Tails: Rhode Island Red, and the most aggressive of the bunch. Ninja: looks like Tails but is mostly white, so no idea what brew he is.

This morning I went to the coop and found blood all over the roost, and discovered Sony injured. His comb and one eye is damaged, he still moves around, but you can tell he's hating life right now. From observing the roosters today, it defiantly looks like Tails is the culprit of the attack. Ninja seems to be backing him a bit, and Darth Egger is still being his usual laid back self.

Not knowing much about which traits to promote and which to cull, if like some advise on which rooster(s) I should cull.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

You want breeders, not aggressors. Aggressive Roo's can kill you hens. Keep the docile Roo's and you definately need to cull at least two of your Roo's. You need just one Roo to 5 Hens. Three Roo's to 11 hens is pushing it but it's doable if you are will to alternate, keep one Roo penned out of the three. Let the Roo's take turns. This also allows you to have a Roo's in reserve in case one dies.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I agree with Cammie! I would cull the lame one and the mean one, it's up to you to keep Sony or not.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Flocks advice sounds good.

There's been a dominance struggle. I don't know chickens, but I do know dogs. When the old alpha starts fading, one of the 2nd tier dogs will make a play - usually this means a fight where someone gets their ass handed to them. You can scold the upstart, but all the other dogs know who won and the old alpha will never command the same sway... thus, you create an unstable situation where it's going to happen again and probably fatally next time.

Remove the old alpha because he's been knocked down and shown to be vulnerable.
    Remove the most aggressive, he's likely the one who won the fight.

This will leave a power vacuum, so you can expect the others to sort it out as to which one of them will be the top cock. Hopefully that won't mean a fight where someone gets injured, but keep an eye out for it. The winner of the next dominance contest should be your "primary" from here out. Once that dust settles it'll likely be clear sailing until that one ages and has to be retired.

You might also want to consider culling the hunchback gimp unless you want to breed those traits into your line.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-10-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

The loud one
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    The loud one

Agree with Cammie. I'd kill Lando and tails. I know how it is with animals that are weak or injured, you hate to kill them cause you feel sorry for them, I'm the same way , but you don't want them breeding. Definitely kill the aggressive one .

Lando and Tails. For all the reasons mentioned.
    I would keep Sony for a while to see how he recuperates.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Maybe he can sell or give them away....

I breed for temperment. My flock is a mix of Orpington, wyandotte, and Barred Rock. I let the roos figure out who is alpha. I isolate the roos from the hens and allow one access at a time. I watch. Most of my roos will dance for hens and look like they are courting. They live. Most of my roos will leave people alone. They live. The rest end up in the pressure cooker and turned into burritos and chicken stock for soups.

Capital crimes include feather pulling, chasing people, and crowing before 4am. They usually start this behavior, just about the time their spurs get an inch long.

The best way I have found to process chickens, is to put them head first into a traffic cone that has about 3-4 inches of the small end chopped off. Their heads poke out, they are upside down. They can't flap around, kick at you or otherwise bruise the meat. Lop off their heads with a limb cutter and they bleed out. It is quick, neat, and very efficient.
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel

Sounds like a great method GR8. They should stop messing around with lethal injection and adopt something similar for capital crimes. The guillotine really is the most humane, effective, and cost-effective method.

Side note, how do you pluck? Scald first or just start grabbin & pullin? My folks used to scald first. It wS a tedious job... no way of making it easier i suppose...
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.