Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMP-Proof Solar Energy Equipment

Default EMP-Proof Solar Energy Equipment

The subject has been broached here before.

Apparently the issue has received enough public profile that there is a company presently specializing in EMP-hardy solar energy systems.

Interesting video... fun watching stuff get zapped! Also a little scary considering it makes me think about how some of my present gear would fare.

Portable Solar LLC - We EMP Solar Panels, iPhone, PC, & more!
    (Sol-Ark)
    https://youtu.be/ZbHK6Uqmzog

https://www.portablesolarllc.com/
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    The subject has been broached here before.

Apparently the issue has received enough public profile that there is a company presently specializing in EMP-hardy solar energy systems.

Interesting video... fun watching stuff get zapped! Also a little scary considering it makes me think about how some of my present gear would fare.

Portable Solar LLC - We EMP Solar Panels, iPhone, PC, & more!
    (Sol-Ark)
    https://youtu.be/ZbHK6Uqmzog

https://www.portablesolarllc.com/
    I'd be wary of paying such a high premium for EMP proof stuff, especially considering the cost

780 Watts of solar and 5KW of battery for $5,875 is insanely expensive

780 Watts of solar might cost $400 and 5KW of FLA batteries might cost $600

If I remember correctly, Batteries are not effected by EMP so that's one part of the system you don't have any EMP worries about and Solar panels only EMP weakness is the blocking diodes, which can be cheaply stored Pre EMP and then replaced post EMP.

Really the only part of the system you'd have to worry about is the inverter/charger.

IMHO Save money, do a DIY system and buy a spare Inverter/charger to keep in a Faraday cage
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I agree with Tdale on this.

But even if you removed the blown blocking diodes your system should still work ok as pretty much all charge controllers (from what I remember) prevent the current from backfeeding into the panels when they stop producing power.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    I'd be wary of paying such a high premium for EMP proof stuff, especially considering the cost

780 Watts of solar and 5KW of battery for $5,875 is insanely expensive

780 Watts of solar might cost $400 and 5KW of FLA batteries might cost $600

If I remember correctly, Batteries are not effected by EMP so that's one part of the system you don't have any EMP worries about and Solar panels only EMP weakness is the blocking diodes, which can be cheaply stored Pre EMP and then replaced post EMP.

Really the only part of the system you'd have to worry about is the inverter/charger.

IMHO Save money, do a DIY system and buy a spare Inverter/charger to keep in a Faraday cage
    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I agree with Tdale on this.

But even if you removed the blown blocking diodes your system should still work ok as pretty much all charge controllers (from what I remember) prevent the current from backfeeding into the panels when they stop producing power.
    I agree with both of y'all.

DIY and you will know what you have and how to fix it also.
    That's just too freaking expensive.

I didn't have time to compare costs before running out the door to work this am... obviously that's a concern. Maybe with time prices will come down. The inverter especially caught my interest seeing as how i just replaced one... and how the unprotected unit failed so dramatically in the vid.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    I didn't have time to compare costs before running out the door to work this am... obviously that's a concern. Maybe with time prices will come down. The inverter especially caught my interest seeing as how i just replaced one... and how the unprotected unit failed so dramatically in the vid.
    i'm betting all they did was add a fast break surge protector, I wasn't convinced their test simulated a real EMP, more like an ESD test ........ and simple grounding would be the difference in the 2 different results if this was an ESD test
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

i'm betting all they did was add a fast break surge protector, I wasn't convinced their test simulated a real EMP, more like an ESD test ........ and simple grounding would be the difference in the 2 different results if this was an ESD test
    I don't believe they can replicate an EMP blast.
    In fact to do so would be against FCC regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    I don't believe they can replicate an EMP blast.
    In fact to do so would be against FCC regulations.
    That may be true, I don't know

What I do know is EMP and ESD are two different animals, just because you are protected from one does not mean you are then protected from the other

So I find it shady for them to say they've EMP tested when in fact they've only ESD tested.....if in fact they did this, I don't know, just very doubtful they did a real EMP test

That may be true, I don't know

What I do know is EMP and ESD are two different animals, just because you are protected from one does not mean you are then protected from the other

So I find it shady for them to say they've EMP tested when in fact they've only ESD tested.....if if fact they did this, I don't know, just very doubtful they did a real EMP test
    I agree with you on that. ESD is not equivalent to an EMP.

Reason I say against FCC regs,
    1) an EMP is very broadband covering gigahertz of bandwidth. That would disrupt a lot of services. Remember the post about drones and freq they use, same as aircraft guidance systems?
    One day, even if that transmitter for a drone is very low power, it can/will affect that system.
    The bandwidth of an EMP would be something on the order from ELF to EHF, which would fall in the bands of guidance systems, radar, cell phone, every frequency really.

2) the amount of wattage required to do a test even, disregarding that bandwidth, would require some type of license. Which not would be issued because of the 1).
    Last edited by Nicor; 04-14-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Not to mention when they did the "emp" test, there is a big window allowing you to see what happens. Last I checked, a big window will not stop an EMP from effecting other equipment nearby, like a video camera doing some recording.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best