Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fallout Shelters are Hot

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    That's the 6x6x12' one? That's absolutely tiny for any considerable amount of time, especially given that most people will be sheltering as a group of at least 2 souls, probably more.

For me, my group is fairly large, five souls. My desire, due to my proximity to NYC and the sheeple density here on the Island, is to be able to thrive (not just survive) subterranean for at least one year + the secure below grade storage of food for five more years, makes sheer size a major obstacle. If occupants feel claustrophobic or trapped, what's the point......

Joe - NY
    The point is that it's better than a 2x2x6 box............
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Anyone else ever lived in a travel trailer? Small and not a lot of room. Sleep a lot, have a nice shelf of fat paperback books, sit at table and do things and have a compact exercise bike for working out.

It works in -30 montana winter. It would work in a small shelter.

My parents were living in a truck bed camper when I was conceived.........so the story goes.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    The point is that it's better than a 2x2x6 box............
    At the point of exiting a 6x6x12 box into a Nuclear Winter, I would rather have the bomb drop into my backyard, survival has to be for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    Anyone else ever lived in a travel trailer? Small and not a lot of room. Sleep a lot, have a nice shelf of fat paperback books, sit at table and do things and have a compact exercise bike for working out.

It works in -30 montana winter. It would work in a small shelter.
    Point taken, however, you had the option to leave the trailer if you desired. Probably not the case with a pandemic, societal breakdown, or global nuclear winter.

I would love to hear the safeguards against human threats from breaching or compromisin the bunker. Desperate, starving people are the biggest threat, if you ask me.

Joe - NY

a Nuclear Winter, I would rather have the bomb drop into my backyard
    Obviously there is NO proof of such thing as 'Nuclear Winter'. It is only a theory. Like most theories, some support it and some do not. But it is fine if you decide to just lay down and die, as for myself I am a fighter.

Historically and even before our current records mankind has been almost eradicated. Many indigenous cultures have oral and petroglyph records of four or five times "the earth turned over" or there were great floods, fire, or darkness.

Somebody survived each time obviously. Right here in montana the younger dryus episodes 13,000 or so years ago eradicated mega fauna and more and more researchers find record of massive flooding. We have campsites where people made beautiful large clovis spear points and hunted very large animals. Then nothing for a while and then the smaller animals and small simple spear points reappear.

Survival of a cataclysm while living around a major population center really doesn't make much sense.

Did you know Butte montana has approximately 10,000 miles of underground tunnels?

Arizona and some other states have countless abandoned mines. Some states have many caves. There are many places to go and be safe from radiation for awhile. Russia has and still are spending money on shelters for their people. Rumor has it China is doing some also. Even in a major exchange there will be some places that receive very little dangerous fallout.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Arizona and some other states have countless abandoned mines. Some states have many caves.....
    We can't afford a mine shaft gap !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSzoLCCX-Y