Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fallout Shelters are Hot

Quote Originally Posted by Safecastle View Post
    We build saferooms, storm shelters, and NBC fallout shelters. Choose your risk tolerance and what you aim to survive.

As for surviving a nuclear event--there are a whole lot of factors, variables, and considerations to go into a discussion of the topic. I could literally write you a book on the topic ... and plenty of books HAVE been written. I'll start by saying this much--if you're deathly afraid of nuclear warfare, then you've bought the old liberal fairy tale about nukes designed to keep you from looking too closely at what is actually going on out there. (The rest of the world powers out there have robust civil defense programs for their populations. The US on the other hand decided that our modern civil defense program would be limited to just a chosen few.)

No matter--it's really not a hard thing to prep for NBC threats ... even nuclear events. Here's a decent starting point:
    "If a nuclear bomb is dropped on your city, here's where you should run and hide"

http://www.businessinsider.com/nucle...shelter-2017-3

Note: If you are not ready to be smart about dealing with the aftermath, to include minimizing the effects on the health of you and those close to you from the fallout and radiation, then the result may very well be a long-suffering, painful death for them. It's really not hard to be smart about it. And under most potential scenarios, life will go on pretty much as it always has.

Think I'm lying? How many nukes have been detonated in modern history? A lot of folks will seriously underestimate the number. Watch this:

The short answer is--more than 2000 detonations, more than 520 of them above ground.

I grew up in the '50s when we were raised on milk and food that was radioactive. A lot of us of a certain age as a result have thyroid issues. But life goes on.
    Civil defense, wtf. Have you seen many of those shelters currently, talk about decrepit, relics of a by gone era.

Also folks need to understand that old school fallout maps wont work currently with changes in the jet stream.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Well, something has to hold the concrete, and I can pour this almost alone, whereas without container I need some serious forming crew. I can transport Conex to the ranch alone. Seal the Cone for rust prevention by myself. Tie steel and pour floor alone. Set cones on concrete floor alone. Tie steel over top of Conex alone. Weld door shut alone. Weld access on top alone. Vents alone. Need excavator to dig hole and lift Conex into hole. Shore up interior of Conex with 4 X 4's and jacks. Pour concrete over sides and top alone. Backfill alone, and remove shoring alone.

That's why I think I'd do it this way. BTW, those bigguns look nice, just more than I am prepared to pay, and I'm wanting to buy more land.
    If you try and pour that concrete by yourself you will die lol. The slab alone with figuring the pad at 6" with a 2' wide turn down 1' footer would be almost 20 yards. If you can pour that pad and finish it good enough to set two containers flush and level without killing over, you are a bad A mf'er.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Safecastle View Post
    We build saferooms, storm shelters, and NBC fallout shelters. Choose your risk tolerance and what you aim to survive.

As for surviving a nuclear event--there are a whole lot of factors, variables, and considerations to go into a discussion of the topic. I could literally write you a book on the topic ... and plenty of books HAVE been written. I'll start by saying this much--if you're deathly afraid of nuclear warfare, then you've bought the old liberal fairy tale about nukes designed to keep you from looking too closely at what is actually going on out there. (The rest of the world powers out there have robust civil defense programs for their populations. The US on the other hand decided that our modern civil defense program would be limited to just a chosen few.)

No matter--it's really not a hard thing to prep for NBC threats ... even nuclear events. Here's a decent starting point:
    "If a nuclear bomb is dropped on your city, here's where you should run and hide"

http://www.businessinsider.com/nucle...shelter-2017-3

Note: If you are not ready to be smart about dealing with the aftermath, to include minimizing the effects on the health of you and those close to you from the fallout and radiation, then the result may very well be a long-suffering, painful death for them. It's really not hard to be smart about it. And under most potential scenarios, life will go on pretty much as it always has.

Think I'm lying? How many nukes have been detonated in modern history? A lot of folks will seriously underestimate the number. Watch this:

The short answer is--more than 2000 detonations, more than 520 of them above ground.

I grew up in the '50s when we were raised on milk and food that was radioactive. A lot of us of a certain age as a result have thyroid issues. But life goes on.
    Man you just know everything and have answers for anything else.
    I think you sadly underestimate the knowledge that people here have
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    Man you just know everything and have answers for anything else.
    I think you sadly underestimate the knowledge that people here have
    This information could be very helpful, I had no idea that there have been so many nuclear detonations. You tend to learn and study things when you're life and livelihood depends on it.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

The real danger is the sheeple. Have you guys learned nothing!!??

Joe - NY

I plan on being the ground crew. Others can check out or ascend or transcend. The human race is quite resilient and isn't done with this world yet.

I would have a Safecastle bunker in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I have built a simple underground here in montana and it is pure bliss to come out of below zero temps and wind to descend into a 40 degree room.

Prepare & Fortify - Safecastle.com
    Coupon Bunker - SafecastleBunker.com

What is an N.B.C. fallout shelter?

N.B.C. stands for nuclear, biological, and chemical. An N.B.C. fallout shelter is a structure that offers protection from any nuclear, biological, and/or chemical disaster or emergency.

Many shelters on the market cut corners, use substandard materials, or just ignore the guidelines and call any shelter stuck in the ground an N.B.C. shelter. We do not. All of our shelters are designed by a certified structural engineer. All of our shelters meet or exceed all of the F.E.M.A. guidelines. Our N.B.C. fallout shelters have corrosion protection that can triple the life of the shelter over many if not most of our competitor's fallout shelters.

Why do I need an N.B.C. fallout shelter?

The United States has over 100 operating nuclear power plants and 16 non-operating power plants. There are also a large number of nuclear fuel and weapon facilities. An attack or accident at one of these facilities could cause a nuclear blast or radiation release. These plants and facilities are each vulnerable to air strikes, truck bombs, boat bombs. The well-equipped and well-armed single madman or small group of terrorists are also valid threats. Protection against the resulting fallout would be a must.

With terrorist countries like Iran, Libya, North Korea, and Sudan, we need to protect ourselves more than ever. This is not mentioning the terrorist organizations that are thriving in country's like Afghanistan (13 known organizations), Pakistan (12), Lebanon (10), India (9), and Iraq (6). Full list of plants.

A nuclear blast is not the only thing that we have to fear from the terrorist countries and organizations. There is also the very real threat from biological and chemical agents that could be deployed in a number of ways. Biological threats such as anthrax, smallpox, botulism, tularemia, and pneumonic plague. Chemical threats such as sarin, hydrogen cyanide, sulfur mustard, chlorine, agent 15, and ricin. We need to be prepared.

Protection

During a Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical emergency all reliable sources say to find a room with as few doors and windows as possible. This room should be already stocked with emergency supplies such as water, food, batteries, flashlights, bedding, emergency radios, and plastic sheeting and duct tape for sealing the windows and doors. If it is a nuclear or radiological emergency, the room should be low in the building. If it is chemical emergency, they say the higher the room in the building the better.

Our N.B.C. Fallout Shelters will protect you and your loved ones from all Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical emergencies, in one place, at a moment’s notice. Not to mention that the shelter offers further protection as a storm shelter or safe room.

Our NBC Fallout Shelters = Peace of Mind.

I'm not knocking these shelters, they are Cadillacs or better, but For the size I want, it gets over budget pretty quick. If I were to have basically a safe room, that first one might be the ticket to anchor down to your garage slab. May be something to think about here at the house. My garage is 26' X 39' with a 15' ceiling and I want a safe room for my wife.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields