Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 12v - 110v Inverter

Default Recommend a 12v - 110v Inverter

ETA: Got a new unit, unboxing and pics on page 2

************************************************** **************************************

Ok SHTF'ers... I am looking for a recommendation for a pure sine wave inverter. ( note: did not purchase this one, for the one I got, see post #6 below and unboxing on pg 2 )

The reason is that my existing 650w pure sine wave inverter is no longer properly regulating the output voltage - I have observed it as high as 145v and that's too high for sensitive equipment. I have a 1200w power regulator but even that cannot correct for that amount of over-voltage, but brings it down to around 135v, still too high. Should be between 110 and 125v.

I've done a good bit of looking around but not 100% happy with what I'm seeing out there. Dozens of them on Amazon. Maybe I'm just looking for a unicorn or over-thinking.

Here's my criteria -

Must Haves:
    Must be PURE sine wave - not "modified" sine wave (for electronics)
    Need between 650 - 2k watts sustained
    Very low parasitic/non-op power use (how much juice does it use just sitting there)
    Price under $250

Nice to Haves:
    Remote on/off button
    Gauge/readout on power specs
    Quiet
    Good quality (long, trouble-free service life)

This is the leading contender so far:

MicroSolar 12V 1000W - $139

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_2_w

Probably over-thinking it... don't want to get something else that's going to go haywire on me in another 3-4 years. But at this price I should probably just pay the man and have done with it.
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I absolutely loved my old Xantrex SW1000. It was an awesome inverter that is a pure sine wave, it is a high quality unit and not a cheap Chinese knockoff, and it fit your power needs at 1k watts continuous and 2k peak.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I absolutely loved my old Xantrex SW1000. It was an awesome inverter that is a pure sine wave, it is a high quality unit and not a cheap Chinese knockoff, and it fit your power needs at 1k watts continuous and 2k peak.
    I did look at those earlier today, but reading the user reviews was what steered me away... seemed like more than a few "tough to live with" comments by folks who didn't like something about it or had actual malfunctions. And for that money ($250-ish) I would expect to have zero of that kind of thing. Example:

Randomly beeps and resets itself for no apparent reason. Can't be relied upon for vacant running. I noticed it when I'd go into my trailer after a couple days away and the mini-microwave clock would be reset. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I finally caught it in the act one day. It would just beep and shut off and immediately turn itself back on. No faults, just a random reboot. I won't be running my fridge off this inverter for sure. Also unreliable for any electronics that don't utilize batteries. Good enough for a laptop, but not for a dvd/tv for example.
    There are 30 such negative type reviews so it's likely not just a rare one-in-a-million "lemon".
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-14-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    I did look at those earlier today, but reading the user reviews was what steered me away... seemed like more than a few "tough to live with" comments by folks who didn't like something about it or had actual malfunctions. And for that money ($250-ish) I would expect to have zero of that kind of thing. Example:

There are 30 such negative type reviews so it's likely not just a rare one-in-a-million "lemon".
    Well, mine would do that too but only when the voltage dropped down too low. Who knows if that is what these people experienced or something else.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Ive had a 1000w cobra inverter for a few years, always does what its needed to.

If you think 2k would be closer look at 2.5-3k, whats your budget? What are you really trying to power?

Ok, after considerable research I decided to go with this $239 unit:

VertaMax 1500 Watt (3000W surge) 12V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC to AC Car, Solar, Off-Grid, RV (Cables + Remote Switch Included)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUASRIG

This should handle all the normal daily needs, with ease, and even allow a short run of something like the microwave or vacuum cleaner.

Good reviews, company seems responsive, extended warranty offered. Ok, I'm in.

Keep us posted.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Promising so far. Ordered just after 8 am this morning, got a tracking number before 11 am. That's nice turn-around. Supposed to arrive on Monday. Probably won't get an opportunity to test/install until the following weekend.

Here's my criteria -

Must Haves:
    Must be PURE sine wave - not "modified" sine wave (for electronics)
    Need between 650 - 2k watts sustained
    Very low parasitic/non-op power use (how much juice does it use just sitting there)
    Price under $250

Nice to Haves:
    Remote on/off button
    Gauge/readout on power specs
    Quiet
    Good quality (long, trouble-free service life)
    How this one measures up:
    psw - check
    wattage rating - check
    parasitic draw - very low according to what I have read, about .8 amps while on, zero when off - check
    price - check
    remote on/off - check
    power readout - check
    quiet - according to reviews, yes - check
    good quality - very few user complaints, plus additional 4-year extended warranty - check

So it looks like it fit my requirements, coming in just under my $250 price point. The additional 4 year extended warranty cost $40 bucks... but considering how much it would bother me to have to replace it 2-3 years from now after going to all this trouble, I think that was a worthwhile investment. Time will tell.
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Promising so far. Ordered just after 8 am this morning, got a tracking number before 11 am. That's nice turn-around. Supposed to arrive on Monday. Probably won't get an opportunity to test/install until the following weekend.

How this one measures up:
    psw - check
    wattage rating - check
    parasitic draw - very low according to what I have read, about .8 amps while on, zero when off - check
    price - check
    remote on/off - check
    power readout - check
    quiet - according to reviews, yes - check
    good quality - very few user complaints, plus additional 4-year extended warranty - check

So it looks like it fit my requirements, coming in just under my $250 price point. The additional 4 year extended warranty cost $40 bucks... but considering how much it would bother me to have to replace it 2-3 years from now after going to all this trouble, I think that was a worthwhile investment. Time will tell.
    The spec I read on it state 'modified sine wave'.

You might have not clicked on the second image on AMAZON.
    The first image is a modified sine wave for $139, and the second is a pure sine wave for $ 239.00
    I am curiously awaiting the reviews, as I may pick up a couple of these....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    The spec I read on it state 'modified sine wave'.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.