Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 12v - 110v Inverter

If you think you can hold out until this evening, I'll see if I can't get out to the storage lot and hook up the TV just long enough to test it with the inverter.

The TV in the trailer is one of the new flat panel LCD types rather than the old CRT sort - it has a converter that plugs into the wall outlet, then a DC cord with round plug that goes into the back of the tv. I think those tend to be a little more forgiving by nature than the tv's that plug directly into the wall. So I'm not 100% certain it will be as definitive a test as I would like, but I'll be happy to do it anyway.

Wish I had thought to test it here at home with our old Panasonic from the 90's... that thing is a TANK. It still works like the day it was new so I am loathe to toss it out, and no one will buy one these days when they can have a bigger screen at 1/4 the weight for $150 down at Best Buy or Target. I have to buy a new adapter every few years just so I can keep using it with a disk or streaming media player. I like vintage TV shows and it just seems right watching them on an old CRT. One of my projects is a small set of drawers I picked up at a yard sale for $15 covered with white latex house paint. Would you believe there's actually some decent oak hardwood under that ghastly paint? I pulled the dwawers and will be putting my disk/streaming media gadget in there, keeping the face open. It's strong enough to support this hefty old dinosaur, unlike the disposable tinker-toys you get from IKEA these days. Hopefully I'll get the shelf installed and the finish work done this summer, and get it settled into place in my man-cave.

I've run the old Panasonic CRT with the cheap Harbor Freight 2kw inverter I have at home... it CLEARLY does not like the flat-square wave that thing puts out. Bands, buzz... just horrible. I'm sure this new full-sine wave inverter would have done much better, again, it's a shame I didn't think to test that while it was here. I'll try to remember again when I have the trailer at the house here, but that will be weeks at the least and possibly a couple of months. I'll just run a long extension cord into the house and plug it in long enough for a quick test. But I can test the flat panel on the trailer without all that, so I can do that tonight if that's suitable.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-10-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Ok, just returned from the lot. No issues at all with the tv and that's the best "acid test" available to me at the moment. Two thumbs up.

Just be careful when you order... I mentioned they have two models and two "colors" which is how you choose between 1500/3000 watt models and modified/pure sine wave types. Should be an option to add extended warranty, on the right side if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-10-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Thanks brother...
    Will be ordering on the 1st of the month.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Wondering if you got it and how you like it so far, Hadite....

Got delayed... hoping by end of July
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Had an interesting experience today.

Working on the trailer I had to plug in the vaccuum cleaner I previously tested. Kept tripping the overload on startup. Weird because I know I tested this repeatedly before. Wild idea struck... tried a different outlet on the front... worked perfectly.

Shouldn't happen this way but it does. Just passing it along.

That extra distance maybe?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Unknown. The outlets on the front of the inverter are about 1 inch apart and there are 3. First time I tried the leftmost, last time rightmost... rightmost worked, leftmost cut out, overload. Wouldn't think a couple inches more wire would make a difference, evidently more going on.

That's a head scratcher for sure. At least now you know.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Are these outlets ground fault ?