Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my garden up and running!

Just follow what the locals do on their own. Obviously this does not cover hourly workers on job sites but get out on a farm or ranch and many will take a several hour rest (siesta) after lunch and then hit it again. I'll take around two to dark over 9-1 every time. That morning stint usually has little wind and lots of humidity, whereas by afternoon the moisture has lifted and a breeze is blowing, and I may be hotter but not sweating uncontrollably.

My garden isn't in yet but will be next week after I return from Guadalajara. I have transplanted everything into 1 gallon plastic pots leftover from when wife buys plants every year to fed the deer. I pull the bottom few branches off the plants and plant them a little deeper. I can evacuate them inside if necessary. Once planted I have 3-5 gallon plastic containers saved to use as Cammie does to cover plants, and then bury the pot in mulch. I'll plant next week.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

This is where underground living appeals to me in the hot or cold.

Nice Job, Camy! We've had so much rain here it feels like someone picked up the place and moved it to the Pacific Northwest!!

It appears that my mother-in-law has read my book series and it seemed to 'wake her up' to the point that her son-in-law (that would be me) has now been tasked with 'helping her' get a decent sized garden set up. My house is under renovation so we've been holed up at the in-laws for over a month now. Unfortunately the garden plot was destroyed by trenching equipment so everything is now moving to their place. She wants something big enough for not only their empty nest, but also my family of four, plus the great grandfather (WWII code breaker) and her sister (care giver). So here's what I've got slated for her/my garden (using my transported dirt of course):

Tomatoes (3 varieties)
    Sweet Corn
    Peppers (red/yellow/green)
    Zucchini
    Eggplant
    Butternut Squash
    Watermelon
    Radish
    Asparagus
    Carrots (2 varieties)
    Cucumber
    Pole Beans
    Navy Beans
    Potatoes (2 varieties)
    Black Berries
    Red Raspberries

Sage
    Parsley
    Dill
    Basil
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Chives
    Cilantro
    Echinacea
    Hannibal ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Not sure you could deal with the heat, much less the humidity down here, being you're from NJ. Some native Texans can barely handle it... That includes me. lol Upper 90's to 100* plus and 80% and up in humidity most Summer days. Even the Summer nights are in the low to mid 90's. It gets brutal!
    Cammie, the humidity was the one thing I couldn't get used to even after spending years there. Even in the wee hours of the morning sweat would pour, that and those skeeters. We get hot here, but once the sun starts going down it's like a whole new climate.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Not sure you could deal with the heat, much less the humidity down here, being you're from NJ. Some native Texans can barely handle it... That includes me. lol Upper 90's to 100* plus and 80% and up in humidity most Summer days. Even the Summer nights are in the low to mid 90's. It gets brutal!
    If it meant surviving the body will adjust. I'm not saying it would be easy.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    If it meant surviving the body will adjust. I'm not saying it would be easy.
    It's miserable if you've never experienced it! The heat isn't so bad it's the sticky air. A thin long sleeves button down shirt and a damp bandana around your neck actually helps, I wear jeans year round always have wasn't uncommon for them to get soaked throughout the day. The people who drink alcohol and a little over weight really suffer, as well as anyone who has to be around them. Lol

Right now its nice this time of year but come Summer, im only out in the garden early mornings and late evenings and still have to hose myself down while out there and that includes wetting my hair. It suffocates me otherwise. If it weren't for the shade cloth I would parrish. I also have a huge shop fan on wheels. If I have a lot to do I'll drag it out into the garden with me to keep air moving.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I get so excited about spring time I wet my plants..........

Okay!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I get so excited about spring time I wet my plants..........
    Lol
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge