Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not sure why I remembered this today ......

Default Not sure why I remembered this today ......

Early last week on my way to work...I was pressed for time and made haste to stop by one of the local Chick Fillet restaurants for a fast food lane lunch.

As I approached I saw two people a middle aged man and woman pan handling from the curb with a cardboard sign.

Walking in quickly ...I got myself a couple of sandwiches and a chocolate chip cookie....but quickly decided to add two more fillet sandwiches to the bag.

On the way out and to work I stopped at their curb and gave them two sandwiches and then a five dollar note. They seemed mostly grateful for the food.

I suppose one never quite knows ones circumstances and I believe this is going to wax worse and worse here shortly...with inflation continuing.

I note more and more people who seem to be homeless....than was in times past.

I often think of Frank here years ago who would panhandle with an olde beat up cookie tin held out at a curb in the parking lot of the Local Wal Mart...where the cars would drive by...going to and fro. Frank was blind.

I would often get him a hot dog, some fries, and a cool drink when it was hot. Some cash too. He used to panhandle up near the main doors but I believe they got tired of him hanging about there.

One day, after bringing him some food, he gave me a phone number and asked me to call and tell them to come get him.. It turned out to be the dispatcher at a local Taxi company. I told them that a blind fellow asked me to call that number and for them to pick him up. The dispatcher told me Franks name and that at night he would sleep behind the heater. They dropped him off at Wal Mart and then came to pick him up.

I believe Frank has passed on now but whenever I see someone having a hard time as such I think of Frank.
    But you know..I never recall Frank whining or lamenting his situation.

Not sure why I remembered that today ..but it seems important for some reason.
    It also makes me realize I have it better than many out here.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-05-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Worlds getting difficult for a lot of people orange.

Its a crime now in many states to be homeless. Its a crime in many to pan handle. Society says we need more laws to make this go away instead of solving the real problems.

Changes in regulation and in health care have cost many there jobs. Destroyed small business in favor of large corporations.

People say the nd pipeline created 12k jobs, this is corporate propaganda, 12k contracts were made, not jobs.

Look at the fracking towns that were all the rage over the last few years. Talk about all this money, those towns now basically abandoned n the people left with nothing.

We dont need thousands of contracts, we need millions of jobs.

How are big corporations going to provide that when they are constantly downsizing or automating?

[QUOTE=Alredneck;731997]Worlds getting difficult for a lot of people orange.

Its a crime now in many states to be homeless. Its a crime in many to pan handle. Society says we need more laws to make this go away instead of solving the real problems.

Changes in regulation and in health care have cost many there jobs. Destroyed small business in favor of large corporations.

People say the nd pipeline created 12k jobs, this is corporate propaganda, 12k contracts were made, not jobs.

Look at the fracking towns that were all the rage over the last few years. Talk about all this money, those towns now basically abandoned n the people left with nothing.

We dont need thousands of contracts, we need millions of jobs.

How are big corporations going to provide that when they are constantly downsizing or automating?[/QUOTE

Gee whiz Al why do you have to turn everything into a rant against big government and big corporations ? If it wasn't for them you wouldn't get a monthly check.
    Orangetom, I salute you for helping those people . If more people were like you the world would be a better place.

It wasnt a rant. Just various statements about the op as found in our society from a real perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    It wasnt a rant. Just various statements about the op as found in our society from a real perspective.
    Oh, well, pardon me.

I see quite a few of them and I contribute from time to time but the ones that get me are the ones smoking with a packs worth of butts on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    I see quite a few of them and I contribute from time to time but the ones that get me are the ones smoking with a packs worth of butts on the ground.
    Yeah milkman, I see those when I go across the mountain to the city. People begging while smoking a cigarette. My wife has lots of fun with them. But we do help those less fortunate , such as sending a vanload of supplies to the flood victims. It isn't very difficult to distinguish those in need from pieces of trash.

Yuppers Iam very selective as well when donating to someone in need. the guy standing on the street corner in his dirty clothes with a smoke in his mouth and looking like he is NOT starving..... yeah he gets ignored.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

I travel a lot, many times I'll take exits that I've found acceptable fuel food several times. A couple of times there have been people with dogs at the exits, me being a compassionate caring guy I have purchased them a "goody bag" a box of eater snacks, a bag of chips, a cold bottle of water and a case of water, I'll then get them whatever I order myself to eat and drop some money in the bag. My thought is that if they can live with it, I can live without it, and I don't give a second thought to what they do with what I give them as it's no longer mine. A few times I've noticed the same people at the same spot for several days or even weeks. This tells me they either don't want better or are taking advantage of compassionate people like me. On multiple occasions I've had people approach me at gas stations for money for gas, no problem I tell them to pull their vehicles across from mine and I fill them up after me. Again if they can live with it, I can live without it. I usually pray to give thanks that I'm in a position to help, and that maybe I made a difference (after I've left of course).

I think the abusers are the reason that panhandling is illegal in places, it's sad really that there are people that take advantage of kindness.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'm in NYC most days and it does seem that over the last several years the homeless population has gone up. My research supports my observations and apparently there has been a funding feud between DiBlasio and Cuomo that had yet to be settled. As a result, previously available programs to mitigate the problem in NYC have been halted.

It's a bad cycle, tough to break where you need a job to be able to afford housing, but can't get and hold a job without an address and a safe place to lay your head, take a shower, eat and generally be prepared to work.

Joe - NY