Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How to get the highest mpg possible out of a vehicle

Yesterday we drove 9 hours straight in our new truck. I drive for the first 6 hours (man they make these new trucks REALLY comfortable for long drives!) and while we were in Texas, I was driving at least 5 mph over the speed limit. Once we got out of the state, I kept it at the speed limit. At the end of 6 hours, we had stopped 3 times, averaged 65 mph, and was averaging 22.4 mpg. I'm VERY happy with that since a lot of time in Texas was spent at 80 mph.

Over the last couple of weeks I have played around to see at what speed gives the best fuel economy. Well, in this truck (crew cab, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed automatic, 3.21 gears, and 4 wheel drive) the highest fuel economy comes while cruising at 45 mph. That fuel economy is 30 mpg! So with a 26 gallon tank, that gives a range of 720 miles.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Load it like a bug out scenario, then you'll know for sure.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I took a short (about 30 miles) highway drive today and I had extra time, so I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I could get out of our truck without going too slow on the interstate. The truck is a 2017 Ram half ton crew cab 4X4 with the hemi v8. At the end up the trip the gauge cluster showed 25.9 mpg!

I got this mpg by implementing a lot of the techniques I described earlier in this thread. I maintained a constant 60-65 mph without using cruise control.

That's good mileage for a PU with V8
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I did another highway test today. This time I had my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law in the truck. Previously the best fuel economy was 25.9 mpg with no drafting. So today I drafted an 18 wheeler (stayed about 75 feet away from it) to see what kind of fuel economy this truck could get.

28.2 mpg is what it got after 40 highway miles!

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I did another highway test today. This time I had my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law in the truck. Previously the best fuel economy was 25.9 mpg with no drafting. So today I drafted an 18 wheeler (stayed about 75 feet away from it) to see what kind of fuel economy this truck could get.

28.2 mpg is what it got after 40 highway miles!
    That's great for a truck! Your MIL must not be a fat nagging hag..........

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    That's great for a truck! Your MIL must not be a fat nagging hag..........
    Well, she is a VERY big back seat driver which is really annoying. But, she helps us out a lot by watching our daughter while my wife and I are at work. At the same time, we help her out since my father-in-law passed 3 years ago so she has learned not to criticize my driving too much.

Yesterday she asked my why her Charger R/T only gets 25 mpg on the highway. I told her it is because she uses cruise control and that wastes a lot of fuel. So after a couple of minutes worth of explanations she did not question me on it anymore.

I have a wonderful MIL, judging by the stereotype most aren't as lucky lol.