Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel/rental car GHB improvisations

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Default Hotel/rental car GHB improvisations

Heading out of town on business next month, I really hate these trips. It'd be just my luck that the SHTF while I was away - my fully equipped BOV and fortified offgrid bunker of ultimate preparedness is 1,000 miles away, and I'm trying to survive and get back home just using the items in my TSA-approved tiny travel GHB lol

Did a search and didn't see a thread devoted to this, but anyone else ever sit in a hotel room and think about what items you'd take or be able to improvise to help get you home if the SHTF while you were out of town? Assume you have a compact rental car and staying in typical 3 star hotel, and no moral issues about stealing or property destruction of either (they can bill the company card later for any damage). Not talking about looting the rest of the hotel on your way out though.

Would like to avoid discussion of what to pack in the GHB you bring from home, unless it's small items specifically meant to augment other items that are in the hotel/car. A spear point and fishing line&lures for building a combination fishing pole/spearfishing setup using the hotel shower curtain rod for example, but not just "add a survival fishing kit to your GHB". Think Mcgyver. Any items you normally buy on arrival with a specific GHB purpose is fair too, "I buy the 1-liter bottles of Gatorade, they're heavy-duty plastic and resealable, good for water storage and the mouth of the bottle is wide enough for a gas nozzle to fit in for carrying extra gasoline for the car in an emergency" for example.

Ideas? How can that microwave oven or the ironing board help you survive and get back home?
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

First thing I do is find the local Wal-Mart! Many hotels give a free bottle of water, ask for another or two, I've rarely had them tell me no. Then there's the snacks, instant oatmeal, fruit, and of course the tiny little sundries (shampoo, soap, mouthwash, lotion, and sometimes wipes). Grab a couple more bottles of water and you have a very rough week of supplies. You and your little rental car should have been long home by now and the soap goes into your stash. Anything worse than an Evac emergency then high tail to that Wal-Mart, you know what to get you've planned for this, just think about your BOB or GHB sitting at home....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

How about packing up a few boxes of necessities and UPSing them there prior to your arrival, then do the reverse on return ?

There isn't much I would want from a hotel room....raid the mini-fridge, use a sheet as a knapsack/backpack, take the towels with you for various reasons.

It all depends on if we are talking about an enemy invasion, a viral pandemic, a EMP situtation, a liberal uprising, or some other unknown emergency as to how you want to proceed. Can you drive home, have to walk, do you have to be evasive, and stealthy ?

If you can still drive, leave and head for your BOL at the earliest chance. Stop as often as you can to top off with gas. Drive at 55 to 60 mph to maximize fuel economy so you can get as far as possible. If possible, buy/steal a 5 gallon gas can and fill it up. You might want to start carrying about an 8 to 10 foot length of 3/8" hose with you that you can use to siphon gas if you have to.

The maid cart in hotels have a large stash of goodies on them. Grab plenty tp off of it along with a couple of clean bath towels. Go to the breakfast area and grab a lot of the non-perishable food. Hopefully you already have a good water filter in your GHB. Water is very heavy and depending on where you are going, you might pass a lot of it on your way home. If you are having to cross southern Arizona that is another story.

You absolutely should have a laminated road map in your GHB. There may be the need to get off the main roads and without a map, that would be next to impossible to do.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    First thing I do is find the local Wal-Mart! Many hotels give a free bottle of water, ask for another or two, I've rarely had them tell me no. Then there's the snacks, instant oatmeal, fruit, and of course the tiny little sundries (shampoo, soap, mouthwash, lotion, and sometimes wipes). Grab a couple more bottles of water and you have a very rough week of supplies. You and your little rental car should have been long home by now and the soap goes into your stash. Anything worse than an Evac emergency then high tail to that Wal-Mart, you know what to get you've planned for this, just think about your BOB or GHB sitting at home....
    Free amenities stuff is always good, I always steal the soap and bring it home. The cheap coffee and teabags too. On Wal-Mart, yeah, if you can do it safely - but was thinking more of a situation where the credit/debit machines were down and maybe a stampede of Wal-Martians already flooding the stores/shops. Maximize the use of what little cash (or PM coins) you may have for use on the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    How about packing up a few boxes of necessities and UPSing them there prior to your arrival, then do the reverse on return ?
    Great idea, but honestly unless I had some indication a specific disaster might happen I probably wouldn't. It is a great idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    There isn't much I would want from a hotel room....raid the mini-fridge, use a sheet as a knapsack/backpack, take the towels with you for various reasons.

It all depends on if we are talking about an enemy invasion, a viral pandemic, a EMP situtation, a liberal uprising, or some other unknown emergency as to how you want to proceed. Can you drive home, have to walk, do you have to be evasive, and stealthy ?
    Maybe we need a survival coding system for what event we're envisioning and our own specifics. "za-1r-2hg-2m-snk-bo-30" could stand for "zombie apocalyse, 1 rifle, 2 handguns, 2 months of supplies, spouse but no kids, bugged out, and we're in our 30's" lol. Hadn't given this one much thought, other than bugging out from a hotel while on a business trip and trying to make it 1,000 miles home without a completely functional infrastructure - details do make a big difference. But c'mon, play the game - there's nothing more you'd might want from the hotel room - even the shower curtain for a tarp or poncho? Sheet for a knapsack/bag is good.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    If you can still drive, leave and head for your BOL at the earliest chance. Stop as often as you can to top off with gas. Drive at 55 to 60 mph to maximize fuel economy so you can get as far as possible. If possible, buy/steal a 5 gallon gas can and fill it up. You might want to start carrying about an 8 to 10 foot length of 3/8" hose with you that you can use to siphon gas if you have to.

The maid cart in hotels have a large stash of goodies on them. Grab plenty tp off of it along with a couple of clean bath towels. Go to the breakfast area and grab a lot of the non-perishable food. Hopefully you already have a good water filter in your GHB. Water is very heavy and depending on where you are going, you might pass a lot of it on your way home. If you are having to cross southern Arizona that is another story.

You absolutely should have a laminated road map in your GHB. There may be the need to get off the main roads and without a map, that would be next to impossible to do.
    Yeah, one nice thing about the compact cars is the gas mileage. Maps, or a smart phone app with them that didn't require cell/wifi service? I have a work laptop that goes with me, but no guarantees it or the smart phone will work I guess. Gas... bonus points to anyone that can figure out a Mcgyver way of sealing the top of the wastebaskets in the hotel room for carrying extra gas in the trunk - usually at least two plastic wastebaskets in a hotel room, each might hold 2 gallons if there was a way to keep it from spilling? Or a better gas can idea?
    *edit to add: siphon hose, that'd be great to have - breaking my rule of not looting the hotel maybe, but bet there's a couple feet of drain hose on the ice maker machine?

Cut off the frig or microwave power cords off, wiring might have a use - jumper cables to jumpstart or charge the car battery with maybe (stealing a diode from the microwave or air conditioner might help here, so you don't drain your battery trying to get a charge off one of lesser charge from a disabled vehicle). Window curtains for additional bedding or insulation if spending the night in the back seat?

Has to be other good Mcgyver'ish stuff in a hotel room that might come in handy on the road, if you had to abandon the car later you'd pick and choose what to carry and leave the rest.

This is the hotel bugout scenario I don't want

(not sure why this pic came to mind, must have been thinking of a use for the desk chair in the room lol)
    Last edited by marked; 03-04-2017 at 11:57 AM.

I have used a hairdryer to light a cigarette. Just restrict the air going in and it gets red hot.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

I'll have to make a thread sometime on how to get the absolute highest mpg out of a car sometime. It is exhausting to do it, but you can get substantially higher mpg out of any vehicle than what the EPA rates it at.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    I have used a hairdryer to light a cigarette. Just restrict the air going in and it gets red hot.
    A heating element off the hair dryer would heat up like a cigarette lighter on 12v from the car too maybe, not sure. Snip the power cord off the clock radio, attach one wire across each side of a heating element and the other ends to the car battery? Alternate means of fire while traveling. Haven't seen a cigarette lighter in a rental car in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I'll have to make a thread sometime on how to get the absolute highest mpg out of a car sometime. It is exhausting to do it, but you can get substantially higher mpg out of any vehicle than what the EPA rates it at.
    Please do Cav. Nothing easy to do to increase MPG on a car you just wanted it to last for 1,000 miles? Would be vehicle specific I'd guess, but anything general like disconnecting the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter or something to bypass emission stuff and increase MPG? Probably get a bill from both Avis and Al Gore for that, but if it works...

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

How about letting it coast, engine off down hill, pushing it on the flats (exhausting part) and only using the engine up hill ? LOLOL