Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Got a bad report from my doctor

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Well, here is a 2 year update on this;


    The nerve pains have increased in frequency and despite it being 4 years since my last foot surgery, there is a 1 circumference difference between my left calf compared to my right calf. This is consistent with muscles wasting away due to not getting the correct signal from the nerves. The use of pain killers has increased due to involuntary muscle contractions in my left foot(basically really bad muscle cramps that wont release, sometimes for hours). Starting last summer I have also started experiencing nerve pains(the lightning bolt pains, or the burning sensation, or sharp stabbing pains) in my right leg and foot. It cramps up so bad sometimes that it will cramp up while Im standing.


    Got more tests scheduled to try to figure out what is going on. Had a physical therapy evaluation today and the physical therapist that is going to be working with me was astounded at how well I can walk despite how bad my left foot is.


    Now for the good news;


    My nerve doctor gave me a permanent handicap placard prescription. So now if my foot is bothering me I can get a better parking spot to help stop my foot getting so bad that pain meds are needed. My dad also recently had some medical problems which prompted him to be some mobility scooters in an effort to find a good one for him. As luck has it, the one in the best shape ended up being too small for him, but the perfect size for me. So it is now sitting in my garage.

    We also sold our 2 story house in December and moved into a single story rental house to help pay off more bills and get into a better financial situation. In the 2 years since I first got word at what is going on with my foot, we have paid off right at $20k of debt. Now we still have a bit to go, but we are in a much better financial situation where we could live off of one income instead of 2 if we had to.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Well, here is a 2 year update on this;


    The nerve pains have increased in frequency and despite it being 4 years since my last foot surgery, there is a 1 circumference difference between my left calf compared to my right calf. This is consistent with muscles wasting away due to not getting the correct signal from the nerves. The use of pain killers has increased due to involuntary muscle contractions in my left foot(basically really bad muscle cramps that wont release, sometimes for hours). Starting last summer I have also started experiencing nerve pains(the lightning bolt pains, or the burning sensation, or sharp stabbing pains) in my right leg and foot. It cramps up so bad sometimes that it will cramp up while Im standing.


    Got more tests scheduled to try to figure out what is going on. Had a physical therapy evaluation today and the physical therapist that is going to be working with me was astounded at how well I can walk despite how bad my left foot is.


    Now for the good news;


    My nerve doctor gave me a permanent handicap placard prescription. So now if my foot is bothering me I can get a better parking spot to help stop my foot getting so bad that pain meds are needed. My dad also recently had some medical problems which prompted him to be some mobility scooters in an effort to find a good one for him. As luck has it, the one in the best shape ended up being too small for him, but the perfect size for me. So it is now sitting in my garage.

    We also sold our 2 story house in December and moved into a single story rental house to help pay off more bills and get into a better financial situation. In the 2 years since I first got word at what is going on with my foot, we have paid off right at $20k of debt. Now we still have a bit to go, but we are in a much better financial situation where we could live off of one income instead of 2 if we had to.
    Prayers for you, my friend. And remember, God has a purpose for everything. Let your faith be your strength. Its about the only thing getting me through right now. Today was just two weeks ago I lost my precious Sandy. So I totally understand about these life changing events. I still feel like I'm in the twilight zone, but my daughters and grand daughter keep me going. Certainly hope they can find something to improve, if not cure, you condition. Losing one's mobility can be devastating.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    3,008

    Default

    Prayers going up for you Cav for the Dr to be able to figure out and treat whatever is going on with your leg/foot.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Prayers sent Cav. God bless you brother.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Thank yall very much. I do greatly appreciate it.


    Pain pull kicked in, time to get some rest.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Thank yall very much. I do greatly appreciate it.


    Pain pull kicked in, time to get some rest.
    You're more patient than I for sure, is it just the foot or the leg below the knee? After 2 years I'd be ready to saw that sucker off and start over.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    You're more patient than I for sure, is it just the foot or the leg below the knee? After 2 years I'd be ready to saw that sucker off and start over.
    Amputation has been a VERY attractive option when my foot really hurts. No doctor has said anything about that being an option though, primarily because they still do not know what is causing all of this.


    Primarily the biggest problem is my left foot, the entire foot. My left foot has a total of 14 scars, 6 bones fused into 3, and 5 screws are in it from the 5 surgeries. On Monday I had a physical therapy evaluation and the physical therapist was shocked at how well I can get around despite how bad the left foot is.

    If I do too much throughout the day, my left foot will start to cramp up badly once I get off of my feet. This is not a cramp that eases up after a couple of minutes. If it stays cramped up for more than 30-45 minutes then the cramp starts moving up my leg. 15-30 minutes later if the cramp is still occurring then it will keep moving up from my calf into my thigh.


    Over the last couple of months it has taken a turn for the worse. I guess I should go to a pain management doc. It would be nice not to have to rely on a pain pill.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •