Thread: interview survivor Battle of Midway

Default interview survivor Battle of Midway

One of my all time favorite movies is Midway.
    And I have read a few books about both Pearl Harbor and Midway.
    and being a programmer and geek always found the breaking of JN25 fascinating.
    so i have more than a passing knowledge about the battle.

but

I had never until now seen the after action interview of LT. George Gay of Torpedo Squadron 8 - the only survivor from that squadron who watched the whole Battle of Midway from the water after being shot down.

Astounding, simply astounding .....

...when we finally got up to the Battle of Midway it was the first time I had ever carried a torpedo on an aircraft and was the first time I had ever had taken a torpedo off of a ship, had never even seen it done. None of the other Ensigns in the squadron had either.

Quite a few of us were a little bit skeptical and leery but we'd seen Doolittle and his boys when they hadn't even seen a carrier before and they took the B-25s off, we figured by golly if they could do it, well we could too.

As I said, we had had no previous combat flying. We'd never been against the enemy
    wow, just wow.

here's the whole thing:
    https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...v8-EnsGay.html

I just finished the book " Killing the Rising Sun " , by Bill O'Reilly a couple weeks ago. Very good book. Covered the entire war in the Pacific.

I met Ens. Gay at an airshow in Florida years ago, and he was selling copies of his book "Sole Survivor".
    He inscribed my copy to me personally. "To R**** A**** Best of the good luck I had at Midway. Keep America Strong. Geo Gay".

I have been a student of WWII history since I was a school boy almost 60 years ago. I have many volumes about the war on my book shelves, but I truly treasure this one.
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

His squadron commander told them right before takeoff that each crew must continue the attack, even if there was only one left.
    George Gay followed his orders.

The saddest thing is that all the American torpedoes at that stage of the war were defective and would not explode.
    But, Torpedo Eight's sacrifice was not in vain. While the entire Japanese fleet was preoccupied with the torpedo bombers they were caught unaware by the American dive bombers.
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division