Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deer cam sent me this...

Guessing managed land or good deer numbers, and the pic is recent, I'd guess 7yo. For sure mature, but extremely fat for post rut, when many bucks are skin and bones due to rut. I'm guessing nobody saw him during season, so reclusive. Sounds like bucks up in one corner of the ranch. Sit in the stand there, and it's a boring hunt, but if you see a buck he will be a stud with same MO. Old but fat so stayed healthy during rut by eating instead breeding and fighting.

Option B is he's 5yo and what we call a feeder hog, that stays by the free choice feeders year round, breeds a doe if it's convenient and not too strenuous. Steps out if a threatening buck comes in, but otherwise lives his life at that feeder.

I'd go first option, he's got a lot of maturity in those bases. I'm always learning so don't claim to be an expert, just seen a few and we do let them grow up.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Thanx for your thoughts KC. That second buck pic was not one my cam took, it was attached to that Obama deer and I couldn't delete it. I was just curious of its approx age. We did get my base set and will finish the walls and roof in the next few weekends.

IMG_4076.jpg

And this ol girl needs to be wearing a freezer around her! Lol

IMG_4075.jpg
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

As a breeder, I've spent the last 6 years trying to grow that Obama antler pattern. I would be rich.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

A friend sent me this. L'dMAO....

IMG_4092.jpg
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    A friend sent me this. L'dMAO....

IMG_4092.jpg
    Head shot .

Oh looky here..... Axis baby.

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

We have some Federal land around here and the deer pretty much have the run of the place.

The problem is ..that over time they tend to overbreed and become hard on the available food supply.

The have to open it up to carefully monitored/supervised hunting to prevent to much damage to the eco systems and what they will support. Not just deer but other species as well dependent on the eco system.

Same thing here in this city ..some heavily wooded areas wherein deer live. It becomes obviously overpopulated when the deer begin eating the eco system and graze their way into the neighborhood to eat peoples foliage and shrubbery. Again then these wooded areas are open to carefully supervised hunting.

Hunting is the most cost effective way to manage such wildlife...no matter how hard the bleating hearts bleat out their emotions.

These feel good types always want someone else to take care of the problem for them gratis then complain about the methods when the just sit back in front of their television sets...et al. Pitiful.

I like the concept of deer and game management...in private ranges...even on public land.

You folks have a real problem amassing down there and spreading ..in the wild pig populations. I believe it will work it's way up here to Virginia over time. I'm not so sure hunting can control effectively this issue. I was a bit stunned to realize how rapidly they can breed and repopulate.

I was reading an article in one of the Pig Hunting magazines..and it stated that one of the early Spanish Explorers began his exploration with some 40 or so pigs for a roving food herd and when they completed their quest they had some 800 pigs. This was to me a shocker!

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-20-2017 at 10:01 AM.

We have a few large ranches around our small property of 1-3K in size. 2 high fence and 1 not. They breed all kinds of animals to include the axis deer. But these guys have spent some $ and used the Feds to darn near remove most all the hogs in our area from what I've been told. But that doesn't mean there are no hogs of course.

Personally I have no problem with having to sit in my stand late at night with my 300 blackout suppressed with my night vision and blast em every weekend! Lol But I've not received a single kill cam pic of any hogs since the feeder has been up. Whitetail, Axis, turkeys and coons so far...

Hmmmmmmmm Tex,

Your post got me to musing about two items coming up here of which I have been musing.

First off...my friend across the river sent me a link that BTAF is working on some of their regulations...

Something to do with some kind of braces or struts for rifles ...by which the hand can be entered into the stock and hold the pistol grip. I am not at all familiar with this device..as I've never seen one.

The other is silencers..in that they are reexamining these regulations for changes. I have been suspecting this was coming down the line...in like manner to concealed carry...that it will not cause the chaos it was projected to cause. This should also bring down the price of silencers. I was a bit stunned to learn what a good silencer costs in the marketplace.

As a sidelight Tex, What weight or grain bullet are you using in your 300 blackout when you are using your silencer??? Curious about this.

Also good to hear that management techniques have kept the wild pig population down in your area.

I don't think they are at all equipped in this area to wage war on wild pigs. Neither hunters or farmers.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Down here the Ranches are in the hunting business. It cost big bucks to go shoot a trophy Red Stag/Axis/Oryx/Whitetail etc. these folks have a lot invested in their ranches and animals to have those nasty hogs tear it up. Yup those arm braces are great for a poor mans short rifle.... I mean pistol. Lol And I've heard from many in the gun business that it's very possible this new Administration will pass the "Hearing Protection Act" that will deregulate Suppressors. As for my blackout ammo, I like 220 grain or should I say my rifle does.