Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generator?

A fingernail file or piece of high grit sandpaper. Sometimes cleaning the plug is all that's needed. I would also include a section of pull rope, they always snap at the worst time.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    A fingernail file or piece of high grit sandpaper. Sometimes cleaning the plug is all that's needed. I would also include a section of pull rope, they always snap at the worst time.
    Good suggestions Flock! I'll see about adding those.

Also, just thought about a manual - both owner's and repair. A quick internet search got me both in PDF format. A copy to go in the "Owner's Manual" folder on my desktop computer, another on a cheapie thumb-drive to toss into the generator kit. I may print hard-copy at some point but that seems like a lot of paper and ink for the printer. Maybe I can find them pre-printed on ebay or somewhere inexpensively.
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-18-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Following Flock's suggestions it seemed like a good idea to be sure that replacing the pull cord (a broken cord is a show-stopper) was do-able in an emergency so I went looking and found a page of instructions online that detail the pull cord replacement process... it is not for the faint of heart. Still, it looks like it can be done using just what I have in the generator kit already, if I toss in the required cord itself.

This is probably the most involved "field repair" you could do on your patio picnic table for these Hondas... after this you get into "mechanic" rather than "diy tinker" category. Looks like a few hours to get it opened up and put back. I wouldn't even attempt this at night, in the rain... unless it was close to do or die.

Honda EU2000i Starter Rope Replacement
    https://halcyontimes.wordpress.com/h...e-replacement/

I captured this page and it's going on the thumb drive along with the official repair manual because the photos are useful.
    If you want to capture a web page and save it to use when the internet is down, there are instructions here:

How to Save a Web Page as a PDF in Google Chrome
    https://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Web-P...-Google-Chrome

Keep in mind, after you do this, the links in the stored page won't work (at least, not with internet offline). You have to save those separately.
    The photos on the original web page are clickable which gives you a larger version of the photo. That won't work with internet offline, so I saved the larger photos separately as well.

ETA: Discovered I had to re-save the page... there was a pop-up message (something about cookies) that was blocking part of the saved text. After closing that pop-up, I was able to save the page again this time with nothing blocking the text.
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

I have a Honda GX270 engine on a portable welder/generator that had sat for 10 yrs or more. Decided to replace a few things on it.
    So I did a search on amazon and found cowell with new pull rope, new carb, new coil, spark plug, engine oil and air filter for the amazing price of about $40.
    Starts on the first pull, runs like a a champ.
    Almost would bet there are other kits out there for different engines.

After my pressure washer cord broke. I hastely made a 550 cord pull for it. it is bombproof. I have since replaced any pull start with Paracord. In a pinch it worked great. So good I use it exclusively now

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    After my pressure washer cord broke. I hastely made a 550 cord pull for it. it is bombproof. I have since replaced any pull start with Paracord. In a pinch it worked great. So good I use it exclusively now
    Paracord is essential equipment around my house. I always keep a good amount on hand.

The carburetor is typically the part most likely to give you problems on a generator, usually fuel-related.

I spotted an attractively priced carb going on Ebay for $25... to keep a $1k+ generator in service, heck yeah, sign me up for a spare!

Honda Carburetor.jpg

I was surprised that it wasn't just the core carburetor... it came with everything associated as well (lines, electric throttle assembly, and gaskets. Having a spare provides a quick resolution to the immediate issue (get the generator back online) while you take your time, during daylight hours, figuring out what's up with the original.

Going right into the generator kit!
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-22-2020 at 04:51 PM.

The funny thing is. If you ran that unit every day for 20 min. It would be more reliable than if you run it 20 min every year

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    The carburetor is typically the part most likely to give you problems on a generator, usually fuel-related.

I spotted an attractively priced carb going on Ebay for $25... to keep a $1k+ generator in service, heck yeah, sign me up for a spare!

Honda Carburetor.jpg

I was surprised that it wasn't just the core carburetor... it came with everything associated as well (lines, electric throttle assembly, and gaskets. Having a spare provides a quick resolution to the immediate issue (get the generator back online) while you take your time, during daylight hours, figuring out what's up with the original.

Going right into the generator kit!
    Care to share the link for that carb on ebay? I'd like to pick one up for mine. It currently works just fine, but havin a spare is always a good thing.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Be very cautious with the eBay carbs. There are a LOT of cheap Chinese knock offs that are of VERY sub par quality. Take the new carb apart and check for casting burs and debris in the carb. Check for fuel flow in all areas, including the main jet. Test it out on the generator just to make sure it runs the way it is supposed to.

One other REALLY handy tool to keep around, especially if you have multiple small gas engines is a set of carb cleaning brushes. They can get into those tiny passages that otherwise are impossible to clean. Here is a link;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Cle...-/154118530063
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best