Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generator?

my 2 primary concerns when it comes a generator.1st,the fridge and freezer.the 2nd,is the ac window unit so my mom can and will have ac when needed..everything else,comes in dead last.flashlight batteries can be recharged by the way of my power converter i have for a car lighter,and a battery charger.and yes,i've done that while camping out one time..
    things often don't go as planed.have a plan B?
    be prepare,be worried,be careful.and watch you 6

I am sure you already know what kind of generator you are going to buy. I went with a 7KW Generac. I am familiar with these generators, which we use to power up cell towers and operations centers. I figured if they are trusted in commercial operations, they are good enough for me.

No matter what you buy, Periodic Maintenance and testing is an absolute must. You don't want to find out something is not working, after the power goes out.

I like your list of essentials. The well pump is the only thing I power up constantly. Everything else gets switched on or off as necessary. That saved me a lot of money on power requirements. Just a thought.
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/goi...rom-venezuela/

Going Stealth When Using Generators: Lessons From Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by GR82BPREPD View Post
    I am sure you already know what kind of generator you are going to buy. I went with a 7KW Generac. I am familiar with these generators, which we use to power up cell towers and operations centers. I figured if they are trusted in commercial operations, they are good enough for me.

No matter what you buy, Periodic Maintenance and testing is an absolute must. You don't want to find out something is not working, after the power goes out.

I like your list of essentials. The well pump is the only thing I power up constantly. Everything else gets switched on or off as necessary. That saved me a lot of money on power requirements. Just a thought.
    Yeah, ran my big Yamaha and little Generac for awhile on XMas day and will fire up the .9K 2-stroke today to make sure it's good to go. Have close to a gallon of mix ready for that, plus the 1/2 tank in the unit. Thanks for reminding me, though, as I didn't add Stabil to the last couple of cans of gas when I filled 'em. I'll take care of that today.

I upgraded our Honda generators today.

I've had this kit for a couple of years from Hutch Mountain that converts the Honda EU2000i to dual-fuel capability. Just never made it a priority to do it until today.

It's a pretty straightforward process, nicely thought out kit.

Took me two full days but that's mostly due to a few detours to completely disassemble and clean one of the carbs and to set up for an hour-meter to track maintenance and to remove the in-line fuel filter. They put the "filter" ( not a filter, more like a screen) in a super-inconvenient place... you have to remove 2 panels and drain the tank to even get to it. Absolutely guaranteed prescription for misery on some cold and rainy night when the power is out and it decides to plug up. Replaced it with a filter located in the main compartment (ONE screw!) And with a transparent filter and fuel line so I can get a visual on the fuel. Has a run-dry option so the carb never sits with fuel in storage, cut down on gunk & varnish.

It was hot today and that always saps my energy. Just barely got it done by sundown. Actually I still have tools to put away but that 'll wait until tomorrow. Right now I'm just savoring the peace of mind that they're ready for business
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-04-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Iíve had MANY different generators over the years. The most recent one is an older Champion 3.5k. I need to get out there and change the plug and oil on it as I do not know how many hours are on those. Got this generator in trade for a much larger one that I had. The really big one was so big that I had problems moving it around. This Champion 3.5k one though I can pick it up and carry it. Itís primary purpose is to run the fridge and freezer in both my house and my next door neighbors house. The power can be alternated every couple of hours until I can get my backup solar panels all wired up. Then most everything can be run on solar and make no noise, which is VERY important when living in the city.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Iíve had MANY different generators over the years. The most recent one is an older Champion 3.5k. I need to get out there and change the plug and oil on it as I do not know how many hours are on those. Got this generator in trade for a much larger one that I had. The really big one was so big that I had problems moving it around. This Champion 3.5k one though I can pick it up and carry it. Itís primary purpose is to run the fridge and freezer in both my house and my next door neighbors house. The power can be alternated every couple of hours until I can get my backup solar panels all wired up. Then most everything can be run on solar and make no noise, which is VERY important when living in the city.
    Absolutely right on both counts Cav. People sometimes ask me why I have 2 small ones instead of one bigger one. There are several reasons but you just hit the main one, I or my wife can lift these up into the truck or the rack in the garage where they're kept unassisted. They can run individually or using a kit, can be ganged together and function as if they were a single larger genset for 30 amp output.

And, about the noise... I've got a small solar collector up on the roof and a bank of LiFePO4 batteries on order right now to replace the worn-out lead-acid batteries. Just got in a new pure sine wave inverter 2k watt and a 75 amp charger which can run off the generator. This represents a significant upgrade to our stand-by power system, the first in quite a few years. This more than doubles our battery capacity from 225 amp-hours to 560. This is my first time constructing a battery bank from 3.2v cells... I'll do a write-up on the project here once I have everything in hand and the opportunity to put it together.
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-20-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Absolutely right on both counts Cav. People sometimes ask me why I have 2 small ones instead of one bigger one. There are several reasons but you just hit the main one, I or my wife can lift these up into the truck or the rack in the garage where they're kept unassisted. They can run individually or using a kit, can be ganged together and function as if they were a single larger genset for 30 amp output.

And, about the noise... I've got a small solar collector up on the roof and a bank of LiFePO4 batteries on order right now to replace the worn-out lead-acid batteries. Just got in a new pure sine wave inverter 2k watt and a 75 amp charger which can run off the generator. This represents a significant upgrade to our stand-by power system, the first in quite a few years. This more than doubles our battery capacity from 225 amp-hours to 560. This is my first time e constructing a battery bank from 3.2v cells... I'll do a write-up on the project here once I have everything in hand and the opportunity to put it together.

I bought 28 of some lithium poly 3.2v cells to experiment with to see what would be needed to replace my AGM batteries and to see if they are worth it for me. Maybe we need to start a new Lithium Batteries thread? I have learned a LOT and in some ways I want to go ahead and upgrade to lithium, and in other ways I want to just stick with the AGM batteries.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

While working on the generators I revisited my generator kit as well. This kit contains everything needed to maintain or field service the generators as well as some things one might need to address a power outage. Included:

Top Tray:
    Assorted wire-nuts
    3-way 120v adapters
    Electrical tape
    Teflon tape (gas line)
    Magnetic area work light
    Pliers, needle nose and regular
    Wire nippers
    New replacement spark plugs
    Spark plug socket, magnetic
    Spark gap adjustment gauge
    1/4" drive adapter for SP socket
    1/4" drive nut driver (doubles as extension) & ratchet
    Sockets (8mm, 10mm & 1/4")
    Continuity and current detector
    Polarity and ground detector
    Stubby flat blade screwdriver, small & large
    Adjustable wrench
    Pliers, channel lock & linemans
    4-way screwdriver
    Oil filler extension spout

Lower compartment:
    Headlamp
    Hose clamps
    Spare fuel filter
    Replacement gaskets & seals
    Replacement air filter elements (1 set)
    Can of carb cleaner with squirt nozzle
    Automotive 12v socket plug w/attachment lugs

Bottom photo:
    Kit labeled and stored with the generators

I figure I'll be kind to my future self and save him from all the cussing and fumbling around in the dark trying to round all this stuff up on a rainy night. Let me know if you think of something I missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-20-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Looks like a good set up Bruss. Last few years I have setup kits for various task. Chainsaw kit, Comms kit, etc. Genny kit is another good one to have.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13