Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF hookup with my friend out in Tennessee...

Default HF hookup with my friend out in Tennessee...

Last December my friend of many many years retired and moved to Tennessee way out in the mountains...and far up at the end of a country lane.

He has been moving his household trip by trip as he is no longer on the clock as are so many of us.

We are both Hams and having started so many years ago on the CB bands and once we got our tickets we continued to carry on via radio rather than phones. We are both not phonaholics so to speak.

With all the other complexities of moving and setting up a new household...setting up his radio station has not been a priority.

But the last two days he managed to shoot his antenna up high in the trees...a 160 meter dipole...via a home made air cannon.

Last night... and for the first time since he moved..we managed to hook up on the 160 meter band on lower sideband.

He is out near Johnson City, Tennessee and we figure the distance is some 400 miles.

Copy was good with some static crashes in there.

His signal was 9 to 10 over and audio quality was good. We were running barefoot with only the 100 watts in the radio.

It was good to know that our systems were so capable...and I am making plans to get my Ameritron 811 H amplifier back on line. I'd like to be able to bring my signal up to some 200 watts when the static is thick and get just above the static level.

Also we will be exploring 75 and 60 meters.

He is trying to brush up on his morse code skills to have this option to put into place should conditions get very bad on the airways.

It was good to hook up once again with my friend on the radio. Locally here we would use the 2 meter band on local repeaters and often QSY off to use 2 meter SSB.

Now we know we can make it over this distance.

It is good to hear my friend once again on the airwaves.

Orangetom

Even if you do Morse code, can't your signal be triangulated and your location be tracked down? Would the purpose of Morse code be a way to chat without most people knowing what tou are saying because very few people know Morse code?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

These days as I understand, you can work thru a laptop and program and type morse code and look almost like the pros. I did a field day at a Extra class who was radio operator during Korean war. Dude has several thousand dollar radios for each band, and three or four antennas on his rotating tower and had to go look for a mic to use as he only communicates Morse Code.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I can't not read a word written in English, instead of the letters. I wonder if it's the same way for someone literate in other languages and code such as Morse?. Right now it's have to figure out each letter then translate.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

orangetom check your pm

Code woks better than any other method during noisy periods. it can be understood over major static.

OT, we'll have to hook up if I can ever get my antenna up.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

if you listen/learn enough code, you will not be decoding the letters, but actually 'hearing' the words.
    I found that to be true with the little I have listened to.

91CavGT,

Even if you do Morse code, can't your signal be triangulated and your location be tracked down? Would the purpose of Morse code be a way to chat without most people knowing what tou are saying because very few people know Morse code?
    Yes..they can triangulate you indeed...but that is not particularly why we are doing it. Morse code will often get out further and with more readability than using a microphone. Particularly if you have a lot of background noise...or static crashes..as in a storm...or storm front.

Morse can get out further and with more clarity than one can do with a microphone or voice.

KINGCHIP,

Yes you can work morse code with a laptop and many people do it...both on receive and transmit. I want to know it the olde fashioned way...by hand with a keyer...and not depend on to much technology per se. This for field use.

I have set up my spare radio and an olde dipole wire antenna with a tuner , power supply, microphone, and morse code keyer...and worked a number of states on a quick temporary set up. Sort of a quick temporary set up...put it up and then take it down to go home.

Yes..backpacker1513, We shall have to hook up on the air. I am right now monitoring LSB on 1.193 MHZ...the 160 meter band.

Nicor...that is exactly how it works when one becomes fluent in the Morse Code..but not me. I have to work at it a bit more.

Thanks to all for their posts,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999
    I am right now monitoring LSB on 1.193 MHZ...the 160 meter band
    Typo? (I hope)
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

JDH,

1,193 MHZ. LSB is to what I think you were referring.

Typo? (I hope)
    I think sometimes it is also referenced as 1193 KHZ.

Is this correct??? For 160 meter Amateur Band .. as I recall the band runs from 1.800MHZ to 2.000 MHZ...or just above the AM broadcasting band.

Thanks,
    Orangetom