Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF hookup with my friend out in Tennessee...

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    JDH,

1,193 MHZ. LSB is to what I think you were referring.

I think sometimes it is also referenced as 1193 KHZ.

Is this correct??? For 160 meter Amateur Band .. as I recall the band runs from 1.800MHZ to 2.000 MHZ...or just above the AM broadcasting band.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Think he means 1193 Khz is Below 1800kHz-2000kHz i.e. NOT in the HAM band
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Think he means 1193 Khz is Below 1800kHz-2000kHz i.e. NOT in the HAM band
    Yes, this.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

You fellows are correct...I meant 1.993 MHZ LSB....and not 1.193 LSB

Yes..correct in the 1.800 to 2.000 MHZ band....160 meters.

My Bad...

Orangetom

Hooked up with my friend out in Tennessee once again and on 160 meters. We are carrying on as I type this out. We are on 1.920 MHZ on LSB. What is different this time Is that I have cut my power way back to about 30 watts from the max the radio can put out at 100watts.

I was curious about this as to how low we can go and still keep contact.

The noise level is not bad tonight with some static in the background but for now about a25 to 30 watts is making the trip. We have been conversing for about 40 minutes now. His signal here is 9 to 10 on the S meter and at times up to 15.

Once again it is good to hear my friend and not on the phone. Distance is some 400 miles. 160 meters is working out fine so far.

We still need to explore other bands and see how they work.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

My friend from Tennessee is back in town working on his house and getting it ready for sale...before staying out there near Johnson City.

We hooked up on 2 meter upper sideband while I was about town in my truck taking care of some business.

I decided to run over to his place and pick up the spare 20 pound empty propane bottles of which he was wanting to rid himself. I picked up 9 of them.

Was half way home before it occurred to me that today ....one would look very suspicious if stopped by the local constabulary and with a truck full of 20 pound propane bottles two pistols and an SKS in the vehicle.

I got them home with no problem.

I plan to keep some of them and trade them in for full ones at the Rino stand/exchange. It is good to have full spare bottles on hand. Others will be for trade/barter.

We stayed on 2 meter SSB the whole trip. Copy was good...even better once the sun went down. I like running locally on 2 meter SSB...but it is just that most people do not have it but have only FM mode of transmission and receive.

We will be back to working 160 and or 75 meters when he gets back to Tennessee in the evenings.

Before I went to see my friend across the river...I loaded up 50 rounds of 41 Magnum ammunition in new Starline Brass. 40 rounds are loaded with lead 210 grain semi wad cutter copper plated bullets...and 10 rounds special with 250 grain wide flat nosed gas checked lead bullets at about 1100 fps.

Thanks and 73,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.

My lady friend often brings with her...her grandson...in visiting me..and he has taken a shine to my portable shortwave set...a TESCUN PL 660 radio.

I am showing him how to work it and tune in certain bands. He likes any kind of electronic gear...and is a natural with computers but little experience with shortwave and or ham gear.

I have decided to purchase for him his own TESCUN PL 660 shortwave radio...and let him use it...and in particular how to use an external antenna to improve his reception as those telescoping antennas by which they come from the factory are marginal at best.

But what I verily want to do is when he comes over the next time and if it is in the evening ...let him talk to my friend out in Tennessee on my base station...some 400 miles distant and show him the advantages of no phone wires...not having to pay for long distance....once the set up is established.

We will see how he takes to it from there. I am hoping he gets a real kick out of talking that far on a radio. We shall see.

I consider this better than the habit of planting him in front of a television set ...feeding and watering him like a plant. Giving him experience and knowledge outside of what passes today for main stream. His grandmother is in favor of such...getting him out from in front of the television set. Or put another way...not enough male influence in his life.

He is afraid and intimidated by much outside of a television set and or computer/phone. Not a good characteristic for a male in this world..and young kids can be cruel to each other if they detect weakness...males and females both. Many adults too...cruel.

He needs skills and thoughts of his own to be developed...not just someone else's thoughts and skills/thinking sets transplanted into him via television and movies. Second hand thoughts and experiences. He needs first hand experiences and the confidences which naturally stem from such experience.

It is very easy to park a kid in front of a television set or movies..water and feed them..basically wharehouse/babysit them so. I suspect that more kids than we know are so raised. This will amount to High Maintenance as they get older. Not a good quality for a young man...or a female.
    For no thinking woman I know wants a man who is higher maintenance than she and children.

But if he takes to it fine...if not ...the world will handle him..one way or another. I can only help so much.
    I worry about this kid....he is in second grade and does not even know how to ride a bicycle. What do his parents do with him....plant and water/feed him???

I put a helmet on him and take him slowly around my yard on my scooter but he is afraid to go out on the street. I worry about him...a slow learner.

A young man cannot go about in fear of everything ....there are too many lions and wolves out there to live in fear of everything ..so to speak.
    Confidence ...and the discipline accompanying confidence is what, to me, separates educated, disciplined humans from two legged wildlife. And I have little use for two legged wildlife.

But I tend to worry about such young people.....as many of them show up in my line of work..and are so obviously high maintenance...and know it not...they think that their brand of High Maintenance is normal....even entitled.

I have little use for such males who think and act like females.

And I worry for this young man...in this world full of wolves and lions.. males and females both......predators!!!

My .02,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Orangetom,

I know what your talking about .

boy across the street, 11 or 12, does not know how to fix a flat on his bicycle.
    another down the street, his mother says he should play all the time.
    No chores, no helping his dad when his dad needs to do something and the boy could very well do it.

I will say this that last one, his dad was helping me with yard and both he and i needed to run to home depot.
    He went home and told his son come and finish mowing the inside part, all of 15 x 20 ft.
    His mother had fit saying he doesn't need to do that, he should just play...
    That kid doesn't do lick of chores around the house.

Don't know what to say about his dad not standing up to his wife and having that kid do chores.

Other thing, that kid an't gonna touch my lawn again, did a half ass job on just that small area.
    spoiled, no pride in work not matter what it is.

Wow Nicor!!!!

His mother had fit saying he doesn't need to do that, he should just play...

She is dead wrong. I am not speaking here against play..for even adults like to play in their own manner. I am not against play. But all things in their proper time and place.

I know to many young men who mostly have the ability and desire to play. When the going gets rough..they fade into the background and in like manner to women ...let others do the hard work and risk taking for them.

A woman in general does not want to know how a thing is accomplished...or the hardship/risks taken to reach such goals...she just wants it done. She does not necessarily want to do it herself or take such risks to reach this goal. This is very akin to politics...for it is politics...social politics. And a spoiled male child is no different and often plays socially the parents against each other to get their way. Very feminine. However....I've seen females do this too..play the parents against each other to get their way. Anything to justify more play and pleasantries.

Playing is also a path to disciplines needed in adulthood..properly managed it is so. But unmanaged to run amok..it is a disaster into older ages. You tend to wind up with adults who can put on the show..but not the substance. The forms..but not the real thing...the substance necessary to reach certain goals.

I know to many women who only taught their children to play and have pleasantries...not handle difficulty...and they all tend to run rough shod over their men...and the men let them. The kids turned into high maintenance self indulgent brats in adulthood...even in their teenaged years. And many of these men...their women wanted the men to handle these spoiled kids when these women could no longer handle their children. By then it was to late..the kids wound up in jail or on drugs or both.

Life is hard work and discipline...and the education/experience to handle the same. Pleasantries and playing does not necessarily teach one the Truth about this kind of thing.

This is a sad state of affairs.

One of my former bosses was this way...his wife always protected or shielded the kid..from reality and her husband.

This man was one of the best machinists I have ever seen...a good leader ..but his home life was a wreck..his child turned out to be a wreck and in and out of JV detentions...and finally jail.

One of the worst things this woman did was to put her child and her husband under the restrictions of professional councilors/psychiatrists who only accelerated the problems...and put restrictions on her husband...while he was paying and taking first place risks for all this manufactured chaos. This man constantly came in last place in his own house for which he was taking first place risks to earn , keep, and maintain. His woman was oblivious to this pattern taking place with the child and her husband.

He is dead now and the only time and place where he will find Peace in his life. Sad. Their child is in jail.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Talked to my friend out in Tennessee again tonight..both nights this weekend.

But tonight I called my other friend down in Virginia Beach and told him the frequencies we will be using and to tune in with his Tecsun PL 660 Shortwave set and external antenna. This is the same shortwave set I use in my daily BOB.

We both used some extra power tonight about 300 watts each so my friend in Virginia Beach could better copy us.

I am encouraging him to get his Technician License so that he can work VHF/UHF and hopefully and eventually his General Class Ticked wherein he can Join us on 75 meters. He already has a Baofeng Radio but cannot get on the Amateur Bands on it ..no license.

Nonetheless...I wanted him to be able to copy us on 75 meters tonight on his shortwave set.

Thanks,
    Orangtetom