Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Communications

Default Communications

Sure hasn't been any activity here in awhile !

I'll have to find it, but there was a thread in General I think, asking about Austin area. I hope to take the general test next month at the local annual Ham Slam. I'm not sure why I'm even involved in the local group, except that they are the local group. I have volunteered for a few inquiries, but maybe the tech class is not enough. Elmers are not very forthcoming, and I suck at begging, so my local interest has diminished some. Still, if I got the general it would help with both bands and power, so maybe my interest would come back.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Chip,
    The Belton HAMFEST is in March, will be a few of us from San Antonio heading up...
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Yeah after much pushing by some friends i got the general at the end of 2014. Of course the HF has truely sucked most of the time for at least 16 months, so it is very iffy. Most of the folks I monitor on 40 and 75m, in their little groups that are on air most mornings early and evenings , just are not folks i want to talk with. Hearing some of the things i have heard em say on air completely turns me off to their group and their attitudes. I only listen about 99% of the time.

We had a couple of groups on 2m simplex down here, but some burned out and left, others happened to be on one of those Hf groups I mentioned , and finally left when he brought the same speech and attitude to 2m. Now it is pretty much dead down here , I monitor all regional repeaters and several simplex freqs, some activity on 1 repeater from 3am til 6 am , again for an hour about 12:30pm and at 4pm, other than a radio club based in CC one evening a week, and a group in Ingleside on simplex mondays at 8pm( most have minimal stations and I can barely hear them 28 miles away. Hadite and I have talked about this before . I gotta say hadite81 has the best ham call sign I have ever heard !

Our prep group, well at least the original core members are on group phone chat all the time , but only 2 are ever on ham radio anymore, they all do have our ranch system radio , but only one uses it , we talk most every morning.
    So there you have an update for this AO.

If you get your general PM me and we can set up some freqs on 75m and 40m and some times so we can talk. Same goes for you hadite81
    Last edited by jnr0104; 02-14-2017 at 09:19 AM.

We have a sunday night roll call but my HT has not reached the tower since november or december of 15. Not sure what happened as all repeaters are supposed to be up and running. I need to finish install on my mobile. Put it off during shoulder rehab. Have a volunteer to crimp the ends on the coaxial but I'd prefer it to be soldered and I've never tried to solder an end like that. Probably easy enough, but I'd rather have a pro do it. Anyway, I'm not doing the weekend class this time. The main instructor is an EE and talks way over most of our head. Nice guy, means well, but talks too advanced for us peons. I'm just going to keep doing practice tests online until I memorize all the questions.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Yeah...Kingchip...that is why you need to be able to go HF.

When my friend lived here locally we would often meet on the local designated repeater running duplex but then QSY over to simplex way down at the bottom end of the 2 meter frequency spectrum. We would also run SSB on 2 meter simplex.

This got us away from most of the other Hams and we seldom got company down there. We are not social butterflies so to speak...both of us being preppers.

If SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens you will not be able to count on repeaters. Plans should be made on such a basis.

My friend and I finally hooked up at his new home some 400 miles distant...on the 160 meter band for the first time last night. Copy was good but we will be exploring other frequency band options..and also he will be once again working on his CW skills.

I carry a 2 meter/440 MHZ HT In my daily BOB..to and fro work with spare batteries...but mentally I am prepared to go without duplexing or repeaters.

I would do this at work to my friend across the river ..simplex... some 10 miles by going to the roof of an office building some 85 feet up. I found I could also do this simplex from the fantail of the aircraft carrier in for repairs...right on the water. Water transmits well for longer distances with fewer losses. Just put a body of water between you and where you want to talk.

But HF is the way to go for longer distances.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

I have just totally lost interest in HAM.
    Not the same as when I was growing up and wanting to take the tests.

Just about decided to sell everything that I have bought since I got my Tech in 2015 and then Gen last year.

Someone mentioned about no Elmers, I'll agree with that.
    Went to on 2m net meeting that was suppose to be on starting up own base station.
    All there was, was one ham running down the other and his setup.
    Not only that one ham must spent 100 grand on his and that's all he talked about.
    Nevemind about that the meeting suppose to have been about setting up ur own station for startup.

I could shoot myself. After tearing shoulder and surgery, I sat for 6 weeks and did absolutely nothing because everything hurt. I could have studied and passed the Pen, maybe studied and learned Sanscrit, and who knows what else, but I sat there pouting because I was helpless. What a dumbazz.

Dude, taking time to study new things is a great way to rehabilitate, read, work on a project, take time to stretch n range of motion exercise. All good things when it's time to heal n mend.

Yea again, I could shoot myself for not putting the time to something useful, instead of sulking. Hell, I didn't e even get caught up on soap operas. BTW, did I ever tell you of the late night in Laredo when I hooked up with Bobby from General Hospital in about 86.