Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wtf did i just hear?

Exclamation Wtf did i just hear?

9pm time for the dog to go out. So i threw a leash on him and out we went. I always shine the flashlight arount the premiter line and i noticed 2 goldish eyes. Then they vanished... No biggy. Dogs peeing. We go further out tward the field. Then i hear a howl....then another. And its close...really close...like holy crap thats close.then more howls. Then even more. Id say 7 to 10 to my best guess. Loud and close. Me and the duker dog haul ass to the house. I take time to wipe his feet...lol. Then get glockula to grab the ps90 and i grab a night vision scoped gsg 522. We roll out to try and ges some action...but all gone... Wtf did i just hear. It was like out of that movie the grey...all the wolves howeling at once...pretty epic.

Im not one to get spooked. But i have never heard anything like that except in werewolf movies when the whole wolf clan is aboit to attack

Eat or get eaten!

Critters gotta get by, share the habitat!

don't know where you live but sounds like yotes to me

Me n glockula gonna regulate... Its so freeking on. Going to bring home the m35a2 and post up in the back all night this weekend. Gonna pop us some doggies. Blam

Don't know if it helps or not but coyotes have a high pitched howl, often with little high pitched "barks" included. A wolf has a very deep and much longer howl than a coyote. If you ever hear a wolf howl there will be no doubt in your mind what it is...believe me! I would tend to say its coyotes. Damn things are everywhere anymore, plus they're about as prolific as rats and cockroaches, and in my opinion much more dangerous than a wolf. Also, wolves are really wild country animals. They won't come around inhabited areas. Coyotes on the other hand will come right into your yard and steal your pets...and in a few cases...children.
    Last edited by beowulf; 01-17-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Don't know if it helps or not but coyotes have a high pitched howl, often with little high pitched "barks" included. A wolf has a very deep and much longer howl than a coyote. If you ever hear a wolf howl there will be no doubt in your mind what it is...believe me! I would tend to say its coyotes. Damn things are everywhere anymore, plus they're about as prolific as rats and cockroaches, and in my opinion much more dangerous than a wolf. Also, wolves are really wild country animals. They won't come around inhabited areas. Coyotes on the other hand will come right into your yard and steal your pets...and in a few cases...children.
    We hear them every night here, and we live in a neighborhood. We have woods and farms about 500 yards out in 3 directions, so they're always nearby.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

An electronic predator call will get them in closer and provide more targets of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetopfirefighter View Post
    An electronic predator call will get them in closer and provide more targets of opportunity.
    This.

Sounds like coyotes. Individually you can usually run them off. When they are in a pack that is another thing all together. Typically when they all howl like that it means they are ringing the dinner bell and are alerting others in the area to come and get it.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Been hearing raccoon calls and chirps of late and began using my flashlight in the trees here when I get home at night. Sure enough those two yellow eyeballs are watching me from up in the trees. Thus telling me that other packs are moving in to replace the ones I have culled out.

Put out my foot traps and caught one last night...put the racoon down with my Rossi pump loaded with .22 CB caps. . Willl clean them up today and reset the trap again with a marshmallow.

https://www.amazon.com/Duke-DUKE-DP-...coon+foot+trap

Now Coyotes that is a very different creature. I have been hearing that they are making more and more inroads here in Virginia. I know people who live out in the country and they are seeing and hearing them more and more out there. Night vision gear would definitely be helpful.

My ham radio friend has a boom box looking gadget which has in it's memory ...many many electronic animal calls. He played an owl call here at my place to demonstrate and to my amazement blackbirds came from everywhere carrying on and making noise. It worked that day like a blackbird magnet.

He told me wounded or frightened rabbit is great for coyotes and such four legged predators. That boom box was amazing.

I wonder though that out in the country ...city folk moving out there might not have enough sense to not leave their toddlers out in the playpen in the yard..unattended. That would be a horror!!

Thanks,
    Orangetom