Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eggs

Default eggs

just for the hell of it I decided to start buying Jumbo grade eggs, cause what walmart says is large,,,, aint!!!! one of my next prep purchases is gonna be an egg scale..cause eventually I'll have chickens"!!! So this morning I said to my self I'm gonna fry me some aigs. As I started crackin and droppin,, two double yolkers from the same carton. Gofer the gold baby Gofer the gold.. Now my tummy likes me again.. Yall have a good day!!

silvergramma,

cause what walmart says is large,,,, aint!!!!
    I've been noticing the same pattern for some time now causing me to ask if someone has changed the way they grade eggs??

Also was shocked some time back to see what is the price of dried eggs.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Orangetom

I'm sorry you're having to buy eggs, I give away 4 or 5 dozen, free range, organic eggs every week. You'd be surprised at the people who prefer store bought eggs, but the ones who like fresh eggs prize them. My eggs range from light brown, light blue, to green and dark brown, and range from small to jumbo. I don't sort them because I give them for free. The ladies at the bank especially enjoy them.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Cammie..... have you freeze dried any eggs? If so, your thoughts/experiences

Oh man, I have one whole shelf designated to freeze dried eggs and still have plenty to share and eat. Freeze dried eggs don't taste any different than fresh eggs from my chickens. Only difference is I like em fried once in a while with a soft yolk but you can't do that I don't think, in a freeze dryer.
    It's funny you asked me because yesterday I was contemplating trying to freeze dry whole eggs without beating them first, just to see if I can. Also thinking of freeze drying some boiled eggs for making salads after rehydrating them. Hummmmm..
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Awesome, it sounds like that freezer has paid for itself.

Anyone have suggestions for quail eggs? Back before this cold snap I was getting close to a dozen a day we pickled several dozen (a person can only eat so many) the yolk part it's a creamy texture compared to chicken eggs, scrambled some (no noticeable difference) and baked with some ( I used a ratio of 5:1). I'm guessing when the weather turns warmer they'll produce even better now that they've matured.

Quail the ultimate survival stock......... maybe I'll start a thread.

Not yet but getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Awesome, it sounds like that freezer has paid for itself.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Cammie, Have you tried or thought of putting whites on one shelf and the yokes on another?

Never thought about it because I rarely use just egg whites or just yolks. Only time I use just whites is for marange for pies during the holidays. If it weren't for the yolks, I wouldn't eat eggs. lol, gag! Not a big egg white fan.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    cause what walmart says is large,,,, aint!!!! one of my next prep purchases is gonna be an egg scale..cause eventually I'll have chickens"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I've been noticing the same pattern for some time now causing me to ask if someone has changed the way they grade eggs??
    Nope nothing has changed, I've weighed Wal*Mart eggs, they weigh out as large eggs, I just think it's because they made the cartons one size fits all, i.e. the same styro carton is used for large egg, and extra large eggs. Medium eggs are usually sold to restaurants, and nobody complains about 2 eggs over easy...

BTW the scale I'm using was my G'Mothers, and you can still buy it in Lehmans catalog.

Rancher