Thread: My animals listen to Skynard whether they like it or not.

Default My animals listen to Skynard whether they like it or not.

A couple of months ago I upgraded my little radio in my shop to a "boom box" style with stand alone speakers. I did so because I enjoy listening to talk radio during the day while the am signal comes in, and I couldn't hear it unless I was close by inside the shop. I put one speaker in the shop and strung a wire to another speaker in my barn.

My grandad always had a radio going in the barn claiming it soothes the animals. I will admit the animals do seem to be more calm around us and especially visitors who come to see our set up. Egg production has been up even in these colder months and shorter days. Maybe there's something to it, we are here after all to see over the animals right?

I keep the radio tuned to a local classic/southern rock station unless I'm piddling around out there listening to talk radio. I wish I could leave it on the talk radio, but the am signal fades out to static and noise when the sun goes down, so the stock will have to listen to skynard and the doors. It's not like that's a bad thing??.........?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Not a bad thing at all. After all, all folks did was fornicate back in the day to these bands! Lol That can't be so bad can it? Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

I tried country at first, thinking it is a barn after all......... what a catastrophe! All the animals just moped around, had a rabbit drown itself with a water bottle.

Then I tried a rock station, Metallica, WhiteStripe, the good heavy, listen to when you have think stuff...... horses busted through the fence on the second day, the goats were getting concussions from butting each other, and all my eggs were scrambled.

Southern rock is the ticket...

I had a radio in the garage 24/7 for years, I never had any mice... Radio died, mice moved in. Saw one of the little suckers the other day. I had a critter catcher tell me he plays Christmas music to get rodents out of attics. He swears Christmas music is the best.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I tried country at first, thinking it is a barn after all......... what a catastrophe! All the animals just moped around, had a rabbit drown itself with a water bottle.

Then I tried a rock station, Metallica, WhiteStripe, the good heavy, listen to when you have think stuff...... horses busted through the fence on the second day, the goats were getting concussions from butting each other, and all my eggs were scrambled.

Southern rock is the ticket...
    Well Skynard is sure what I love listening to.
    Wife wondered what I was laughing so hard at. That is too funny. I'll have to give that a shot when we get more chickens.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

There are different studies that have been done on music/noise on animals........ one study I read cited that ponies ate more hay while country music was playing, they also said it was likely due to the change in barn staff mood.....

One time we cut the satellite feed for the music at a NEX and there was a two hour loop recording of Christmas music playing, it nearly drove the staff insane. So I can see it driving critters away.

Lightbulb

My critter won't go to sleep without thier Classic Rock music. I keep thier music on 24/7. They love it. Come to think of it, I never see mice but then again, I have 9 barn cats.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

LOL LOL Camouflaged....

I never see mice but then again, I have 9 barn cats.
    Sounds like the 9 are on the job and earning their keep!!

Orangetom

Yeah, luckily, I don't have any dead beat cats. They earn thier keep and pay thier rent.
    Lord knows I've had to evict a few in the past.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.