Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snakebite remedies...

Default Snakebite remedies...

I read in another thread the snakebite topic. In a SHTF scenario are there any good/remotely decent home brew or alternative antidotes to a bite with no hospitals around? Or any methods to remove the venom? Thoughts...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Don't get bite!

Let's take a look at the poisonous snakes in America. There are only 4 main types. Copper head, water moccasin/cotton mouth, rattle snake, and a coral snake. Coral snakes are about the least ones to worry about as they have no fangs. Remember "red and yellow kill a fellow. Red and black, friend of jack". This means if the red and yellow stripes are touching then it is a poisonous snake. If the red and black stripes are touching, it is a good snake so let it be.

Cotton mouth snakes are VERY agressive and will strike if you get too close. They are common around bodies of water or creeks but I have never seen one a long distance away from water.

Rattle snakes typically announce their presence by rattling. However, in areas where hogs are a major problem, rattle snakes have learned not to rattle as the hogs will eat them. Rattle snake venom is some really nasty stuff.

That leaves copper heads. If your dog gets bit by a copper head, just give them a side of benadryl and in a few days they will be fine. Copper heads have a bad reputation, but typically they won't bite unless stepped on or messed with. I lost count how many times as a kid I ran right past one and it did not even react.

Remember too that just because you kill a snake, or even cut its head off does not mean you can't be bit. Even after having its head cut off, a snake can still bite you and inject venom. Don't play with them or show them off after killing them.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

My dog got bit by a copperhead [yes, I killed it ] last year and I called the vet after hours.He said to give it benadryl and prednisone if I had some. [I did ] This was around 6:00 PM, hit on left rear foot, REALLY swollen and EXTREMELY painful to him, he had recovered somewhat by morning. The ''old folk'' in the 40's-50's would put kerosene on a snakebite,,, and swear by giving milk to a snake bit dog........ never made any sense to me, that's what they did though.
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

All good info including yours Al. Lol Now just waiting on Fidel to chime in. I'm just trying to figure out what to store in my meds that may help...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Shoulda refreshed before I posted in the Black Salve thread...
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

For dogs, the correct dosage of Benadryl is 2mg/lb body weight. That is per Texas A&M vets.

I don't think snakes have learned not to rattle to avoid hogs. I know that some snakes are prone to rattle sooner than others. I think hogs have systematically thinned out those that tended to rattle sooner leaving those that don't rattle as quickly. Then again, I've never seen a snake den, and only seen multiple rattlers once when walking up on a dominance dance with a receptive female close. Saw five at that time.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

KC - that is exactly what I would expect to happen if you put a rattlesnake in an environment where the act of rattling is more likely to get a snake killed than to warn off an agressor. If hogs go after snakes as a food source (haven't heard of this before but I'm not an expert) and if we are to believe that hogs typically survive being bitten, then you probably called it right.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    For dogs, the correct dosage of Benadryl is 2mg/lb body weight. That is per Texas A&M vets.

I don't think snakes have learned not to rattle to avoid hogs. I know that some snakes are prone to rattle sooner than others. I think hogs have systematically thinned out those that tended to rattle sooner leaving those that don't rattle as quickly. Then again, I've never seen a snake den, and only seen multiple rattlers once when walking up on a dominance dance with a receptive female close. Saw five at that time.
    A couple of years ago my dad and I went hunting in an area with a LOT of hogs. I nearly ran over a 4 foot rattler with my 4 wheeler without even knowing it. I stepped within a foot of it without knowing. It never rattled. Only after we put 5 rounds in it did it start rattling.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

There's nothing that you (or I) can do to remove venom from a snakebite. Cutting and sucking, the little rubber cups, the Sawyer Extractor, all do exactly squat. They've been tested with snakebite analogs that have the same molecular weight and shape, and even if applied immediately after the injection, not enough is removed to make any difference. Other treatments like using a stun gun or other electroshock don't work either.

Fortunately, most snakes, even if they bite you, will not envenomate you. It takes them a month or so to produce their load-out of venom, if they give it all to you then they aren't eating for a month..Thats why so many home-grown 'remedies' seemed to work: The person wasn't envenomated.

If someone is bitten, and you can, take them to the hospital, quietly. Remove any jewelry or clothing that might become too tight. Don't try any tourniquet or home-grown treatments. Treat the wound like any puncture wound (soap, water, bandaid), if there is swelling mark the extent and time while transporting.

If the person is having difficulties, give supportive treatment. If they need antivenin, it's been my experience they will need a hell of a lot of it. It's very, very expensive, and has a short shelf life - even in the big teaching trauma center in Los Angeles I used to work at, we only kept 4 or 6 doses on hand....if someone needed it, we would pull in the stocks from all the other hospitals in So. Cal (I don't recall ever having two patients at the same time competing for the stuff). My personal record for a patient needing it was 22 vials of antivenin, current value would be around $45,000 - just for the antivenin (not the rest of the treatment they will need). He also needed months of physical therapy and skin grafts.

Fortunately, bites needing it don't happen too often. Still, don't be stupid like this guy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c818f6181a25
    Good medicine in bad places