Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snakebite remedies...

Oh, and the baby snakes can be more deadly than a large snake as the baby snakes have not learned to control the amount of venom they inject, so they tend to inject a lot. That's what I was taught since I was a kid anyway.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Unless your hunting them ya don't often see snakes, most feel your vibrations and get out of the way.

Never seen a snake above 10k feet. Always in the low lands.

Always tell people not to but I hand grab em. Their also pretty tasty grilled up.

Moving around the evening about sunset will find them and most hunt at night go where rodents are.

There story Mexicans n Cowboys tell about a rope of snake intertwined together in untold amounts read alot, moving around the desert at night. There a Spanish term for this but don't remember it. Seen a pic from a border patrol agent of hundreds of rattles moving together thru a wadi I believe in South arizona. Thought it was similar.

Moses knew a trick with them. Lol

Down in the bayous of LA the moccasins will chase you. Serious. Not a fan them danm things, there was a giant under my uncles dock, said he killed after I left one summer said it was danm near the length of his bass boat. Monsters exsist! Lol

Was out hunting with a buddy as a teen in Rankin County ms, walking down the tracks had a small copper head strike my boot, we kept it in a small aquarium for awhile. We had a Fort in the woods out there made from the cross ties.

Didn't see very many in iraq either, herd stories of cobras n only seen one asp. I do like to hunt. When we had some off time would run around the infastructure we were held up at n hunt what was out there. The Iraqi don't care for boar. Sometime jackals. Use to fish with frags.
    Last edited by Alredneck; 12-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Al, you're certainly right about there being some monsters "out there". It was about 60 years or so ago, but my uncle killed an eastern diamondback that was longer than a 1952 Chevrolet. The thing looked like a tree trunk. My dad said he saw one even bigger than that when he was living on the farm. He said it left a track over a foot wide in soft plowed ground. Dad wasn't one to tell "tall tales" either. I've also seen some others between 7 and 8 feet long. About three weeks before I left for basic training some friends and I were dove hunting. At one point I was just standing still looking up for doves that might fly within shooting range. My best friend walked up and stopped...SUDDENLY. He said, "Mike, don't move", and pointed his shotgun right between my feet. I said, "Billy, what are you....BOOM! He said, "look down". I had been standing straddle of one, a BIG one, well over six feet long. It never rattled or anything. It was just stretched out in the sun, and I never saw it as I was looking for doves flying close by when I walked up to that spot and stopped. And, YEAH, I 'bout sh*t! BET YOUR ASS! We killed about seven or eight of them that afternoon, none under five feet long. It was a real sandy area with lots of scrub oaks and gopher holes. (In Georgia we call land tortoises gophers). So I can attest to the fact that they DO get a lot larger than the "official" record. Biggest Cottonmouth I ever saw was over 6 feet long, and they ARE some extremely mean tempered son-a-ma-guns! They have about the same disposition as a nest of mad yellow jackets...you know, "let's go put whup-ass all over this guy!"
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-28-2016 at 10:32 PM.

My remedy for snake bite is to live where there are no snakes.

Here in middle Tn we have rattlers, copper heads, and water moccasins. What most people claim to be copper heads or cotton mouth are actually harmless creek snakes. I've never actually seen a copper head in the wild and I've lived in some backwoods rough places. I've seen more scorpions than I have rattle snakes.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

In post SHTF if you get bit by a poisonous snake you either live or die. Don't matter what you do.
    Everything Fidel. MD says above is spot on.
    I live where there are a lot of snakes. And my only hobby is hiking. I have been where snakes had easy opportunities to bite me several times and they never have. Rattles snakes very seldom want to bite you , they only want to be left alone.
    Coral snakes are so small they can not bite you except maybe your little finger, or your lip, or the web between fingers.
    If you play with snakes you will likely get bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    If you play with snakes you will likely get bit.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Everything Fidel. MD says above is spot on.
    Except for the going to the hospital part as they will be closed/abandoned during a Shtf event. Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

A modification of the suction device might be more effective then.

Syringe --> 6" IV tubing extension (maybe with a "Y" port) --> IV catheter (minus the needle, 14-22ga sizes in the kit).

Maybe a few extra small holes in each catheter, near the end, so they can draw fluid from the sides as well as at the tip. If bit, insert the catheters into the fang tracts (wiggle them in, they're flexible) all the way to the bottom, and suck. Now the tracts can't collapse, and suction is being applied right where the venom was deposited.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    A modification of the suction device might be more effective then.

Syringe --> 6" IV tubing extension (maybe with a "Y" port) --> IV catheter (minus the needle, 14-22ga sizes in the kit).

Maybe a few extra small holes in each catheter, near the end, so they can draw fluid from the sides as well as at the tip. If bit, insert the catheters into the fang tracts (wiggle them in, they're flexible) all the way to the bottom, and suck. Now the tracts can't collapse, and suction is being applied right where the venom was deposited.
    So you are going to carry that stuff with you all the time? For even a small chance if it being slightly effective it would have to be done immediately.
    Just man up if you are bit and go about your business. If you die then you die.