Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for the winter

Default for the winter

yesterday I had extra money from my last paycheck and went to the local home improvement store . Its not Home Depot.
    I bought a Die Hard battery booster/charger and extension cord, a metal edge ergonomically correct snow shovel and new windshield brush/scraper with extension.
    After that I went to the local feed store which carries anything a farmer/rancher could need and got a new pair of snow boots and two pairs of heavy duty wool blend boot socks.
    Dog food was on the list as well, for those of you who don't know I have three dogs,,a chocolate lab, a black lab and a white husky german shepherd mix.. so its two 50 lb bags everytime I go.
    Yeah I saw a lot of stuff I could have bought, but it can wait.
    Finding Carhart bibs and jackets my size due to my 5'3" frame is like finding a needle in a haystack.. not even Polar King has them short enough for me so snow pants will have to do but this year is the coldest for the earliest part of the year and its gonna be a long winter..even with long johns its hard to keep my upper legs warm out in those elements,, am thinking of making some wrap around fleece flap or something to keep the cold off my legs.. wish me luck..
    Any websites out there cater to short people for winter outerwear needs to be shared..
    I highly recommend magnetic block heaters and dipstick heaters if you can find them I had a tendency to just drive off and break the cord when I first started using them.. my engine block / oil pan heater was installed at a mechanics shop..so for some reason should you need a replacement a back up magnetic heater would probably do the trick, we used them on the tractor and kept it blanketed and tarped as well as being plugged in.
    Last edited by silvergramma; 12-15-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Have you thought about pulling the sewing machine out and making your own and waxing the seams? Make your own version of Patagonia outer wear.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

You really have to hand it to short people, because they usually can't reach it themselves

The wife usually shops the boys department to find everyday winter wear. Women's stuff seems to be more fashion than function unless it's the top dollar skiing/hunting clothes. Boots especially for some reason.

Second the magnetic block heater suggestion, we use them to warm the whole house genny (running them off a small 1kW genny) when the temps fall below zero and we need to start it. Even the full synthetic oil doesn't like to flow when it's that cold. One stuck to the block and another zip-tied on the oil filter. The little genny is left in the house so it stays warm until needed, just put a 1/2 quart of gas in it and when it runs out the big genny is usually warm enough to fire up easy, and the little one is empty and ready to be put back in the house.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I have used a small generator (that can be stored inside the heated space) to start a bigger generator. I do it by positioning the little guy so it's exhaust blows on the big guy and after it runs for a while the big one starts. Very useful if you have a propane genny and the temps get below zero.

oh I saw the "junior" bibs ,, not gonna happen,,pink camo.. pffft I'm a size 18 grandma.. nuf said. Am I round and short, nope you cant knock me down and expect me to roll down hill,, I'll just lay there and cuss lol

I still have the house widows to cover,with heavy duty plastic.(to keep the cold out).other then that.im pretty much ready for the cold.including going into town,and doing some last minute food shop.that just in case the roads ice over.
    things often don't go as planed.have a plan B?
    be prepare,be worried,be careful.and watch you 6

Watch it bud ,, I have a grabber lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    You really have to hand it to short people, because they usually can't reach it themselves

The wife usually shops the boys department to find everyday winter wear. Women's stuff seems to be more fashion than function unless it's the top dollar skiing/hunting clothes. Boots especially for some reason.

Second the magnetic block heater suggestion, we use them to warm the whole house genny (running them off a small 1kW genny) when the temps fall below zero and we need to start it. Even the full synthetic oil doesn't like to flow when it's that cold. One stuck to the block and another zip-tied on the oil filter. The little genny is left in the house so it stays warm until needed, just put a 1/2 quart of gas in it and when it runs out the big genny is usually warm enough to fire up easy, and the little one is empty and ready to be put back in the house.

do you know if those dipstick heaters work with synthetic?

I have added a wood burning stove to my place. Itís mostly for back up when the power goes out. We also have a 4500 watt generator. Itís not enough to run the furnace. So thatís the reason for wood burning stove.
    Like to get some more wool mittens and scarves also this winter . The merino wool thermals are hard to find around here they also seem to disappear at most places you can order from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is now a company called Schmidt that makes Carhardt type outer wear for women I jumped all over it