Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snopacacylispe

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Talking Snopacacylispe

So now and again I watch TV online coverage from the Portland area. Those folks had a snow storm today. Almost 1-2 inches and more coming tonight. Cars abandoned on freeways, kids released at 1400 still waiting for a bus and families looking at other family members wondering how to butcher and cook. Again, Portland Oregon...a sanctuary city, home of the homeless (they have a program that pays to fly/bus/rail somewhere else called home). Really makes you wonder what would happen if the SHTF really went down. I have the choice to weep or put another chunk of oak on the fire, check the mash and give serious consideration to locking the hubs on my F250.

Oh the humanity!

Ez

p.s. I am looking at 10-12 inches on top of the 4 I have. They have a name for their storm (Decima sp?). I call mine Wednesday.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Funny.

Portland, OR area warning:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT PST TONIGHT FOR THE GREATER PORTLAND/VANCOUVER METRO AREA...

* TIMING...SNOW CONTINUE UNTIL MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT. HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION...2 TO 5 INCHES WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS IN THE SOUTHERN PORTLAND METRO AREA.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND CAUSE TREACHEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Meanwhile in my area we have a Winter Weather Advisory in effect through tomorrow. 3-6 inches of additional snow, advisory statement says "use caution while driving."

Quote Originally Posted by Ezmony View Post
    p.s. I am looking at 10-12 inches on top of the 4 I have. They have a name for their storm (Decima sp?). I call mine Wednesday.
    We've got maybe 6" on the ground here, if we get 6 more guess I'll have to plow the driveway tomorrow. It's all what you get used to I suppose. 2-5" total qualifies as little more than a PITA.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

1-2 inches? Lmao!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

We got 5" of liquid snow Monday. Does that count?
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Dang, even down here in south Texas 1-2" doesn't scare me. Now the other drivers out does, but not the snow.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Thank god I choose when to leave for work. These yoyo's will be all over the place with 1/2 to inch we are expecting. I may leave early to watch them all fuel up as if they were going out on the tundra.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Tundra Lol!! I'm sorry but it's just plain funny to see Morons panic over a few inches of snow. I've lived where it snowed heavily. Yeah it's time to worry when you walk out of your house and don't see your car parked in the driveway. Only because the snow line is above it. Lol
    Last edited by texasskeeter; 12-15-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

I live about 100 miles south of Atlanta Georgia (still too damn close).

Just let ONE snow flake hit the ground and the whole city shuts down. The emergency response team is activated and the Governor declares a state of emergency, the schools are shut down and the sand and brine (salt water?) trucks are loaded and dispatched.

On the civilian side, everyone goes into absolute panic mode. The shelves in ALL the stores are immediately stripped of milk, bread, STRAWBERRY Pop-Tarts and beer. I can understand the beer, perhaps the bread and milk but strawberry (it has to be strawberry) Pop-Tarts?????????

The radio stations go int full deaster mode as well. They start telling every one about how there are going to be frozen bodies in the streets and it is useless to resist because EVERYONE is going to die!!!!!!!!

You think I'm kidding? Well perhaps I am pushing things just a bit, it actually takes 3 snow flakes.

I wonder what would happen if something really happened.
    Last edited by Gaowlpoop; 12-15-2016 at 05:31 AM.

I love it when we get winter precipitation here. People do freak out and have no idea how to drive on it. But, that just gives you an opportunity to make money. "Hey, I'll pull you out of this ditch for $40 or you can wait in the cold on a row truck who will charge you $100".
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I love it when we get winter precipitation here. People do freak out and have no idea how to drive on it. But, that just gives you an opportunity to make money. "Hey, I'll pull you out of this ditch for $40 or you can wait in the cold on a row truck who will charge you $100".
    Unless it's a woman I'll hand them my recovery strap and tell 'em to hook up their own vehicle and hand me the other end. Whatever they hook to is coming out of the ditch, and I won't be responsible if it's only part of their car lol.

Having a recovery strap and jumper cables is a great way to make new friends in the winter. Our plow truck doesn't often leave our property but when it does I try to keep an eye out for elderly people shovelling their drive and offer to take a few swipes with the plow if they'd like. I refuse money, but have been known to accept beer or cookies.

White-out/blizzard kid friendly joke:

You: (pointing) Look!!!
    Kid: (looking): What? I can't see anything?
    You: Right there! A polar bear drinking a glass of milk!
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.