Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes. Sugar is killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Can you please explain this? How is this fructose not the same that naturally occuring in fruit?
    Fructose is the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit. That doesn't mean it's good for you.

While it's fine to eat a piece of fruit occasionally, fructose is a sugar that has no feedback mechanism in the body to tell you you've had enough - you dont get satiated with it. Also, the way fructose is metabolized by the body means that it basically turns to fat. The liver converts fructose to glycogen (unless the liver is already full of glycogen), and then tryglcerides (fatty acids).

Further, fructose does not cause an increase in serum insulin levels..so all that excess sugar in the blood stream does the usual bad things that high blood glucose levels do. And the body responds by thinking it's in a low-sugar state, so you crave more of it.

As I said, eating an apple or orange every now and then is fine. But just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean that it is good for you, or even less bad for you. And people (Americans, especially) eat so much fructose that it provides something like 10% of their daily caloric intake, mainly through high-fructose corn syrup used as a sweetener in processed foods and soft drinks. Drinks, even 'healthy fruit juice' drinks provide little in the way of nutrition, fresh squeezed orange or apple juice might provide a bit of fiber, but not enough to overcome the slug of sugar they are also loaded with. And most of the fruit juices and drinks that are in the store are hardly unprocessed or natural. The worst are those addictive little boxes of fructose-laden colored water called 'juice boxes'.

Since the end of WW II, there has been a huge increase in the number of people with sugar-metabolism disorders in the US (both types of diabetes, but especially type II). Tracking along with that increase has been the amount of corn syrup used as sweeteners in processed foods. It really took off in the 1970\s, when the government (Senator George McGovern, mainly) started screwing around with dietary guidelines that emphasized carbohydrate loaded food plans, and the government subsidized the growing of corn for HFCS.

While correlation is not causation, I can make you a type-II diabetic in about 6 months, by feeding you that crap, (and the drugs that are supposed to treat it), and I can also cure you afterwards by getting you off that crap. The trouble is sugar is about as addictive as cocaine is for people.

For a further discussion check out this thread: http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/55520-Type-II-Diabetic
    Good medicine in bad places

Hey man, lay off my zebra cakes. Thank you for this even though it's not what I wanted to hear. I'm in my mid thirties and the past few years I've been very careful with my sugar, and I'm healthier and leaner than in my twenties. I can do much better and should because I've seen it's effects on the men in my family on my father's side.

Thank you!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

The good Doc is to be listened to. Copy his post and read it every couple days. I eliminated all sugar and bread this spring and dropped 30lbs in a month with fats and proteins (and ugly horrible vegetables). BP is down significantly as well as resting HR. I can't recommend enough the Paleo/sugar detox type diets. Maintainance is hard but I now enjoy my wife's cooking. She went on the diet as well.
    Stupid should hurt- bad

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    So is there a better alternative to sugar?

what kind of substitute would you be willing to accept?

Think about fuel for a car: if you use premium in a car that is meant to run on the standard stuff you end up with a engine that does not run well. Eating too much sugar does something similar to our systems. Our bodies do not run well, we feel sluggish, and our bodies try to lower our blood sugars by forming triglycerides (one triglyceride molecule is made of one fat molecule and 3 sugar molecules), and triglycerides gunk up our veins and raise our blood pressure.

After a Thanksgiving meal or a Christmas meal, do you know that heavy, drowsy feeling? That is what high blood sugar feels like. A couple of times a year is not a problem, but if a person eats so much sugar you feel like that a lot, then they can make themselves sick.

Anything ending in "ose" is sugar. The biggest difference is that some are absorbed SLIGHTLY faster than others. Sucrose, fructose, glucose, ANYTHING -ose is sugar.

Everybody needs to eat: it is the fuel your body run on. It does not matter if a bit of that is sugar: one piece of fruit will not harm you. BUT! We are omnivores, and we were designed to eat a variety of foods. Eating too many carbs at one sitting can raise your blood sugar, which is hard on your body. (edited to add), we were not designed to live on huge amounts of carbs.

I am a diabetic. I tolerate little sugar, whether it is from fruit or not. One serving of fruit I can have, but no more than that.

Non-diabetics simply USE any sugar they eat, BUT ONLY UP TO A POINT. If you eat more sugar than your body can handle (like you did at Thanksgiving) then your body does not run well. You get sleepy, and sluggish, and triglycerides form that gunk up your blood vessels, and if you eat too many carbs all of the time you will end up with high blood pressure, weight gain, lack of energy, and the engine that is your body will not run well.

We are omnivores. So, eat your meat and your leafy greens. They are good for you

.................................................. .................................................. .........................

Folks, you have a choice that I was not given. 20 years ago, the standard treatment for high triglycerides was to put the patient on a diet of mostly carbohydrates. So that was what was done with me, and I followed that diet to the best of my abilities.

I got worse. when the doctor scolded me for not following the high carb diet, I said that I had been. The doctor literally SHOUTED that she knew I had not, because my blood work was worse and that my triglycerides had gone up!

So I tried harder.

The next year when they checked my blood, I came home to find out that everybody had been trying to get a hold of me. The lab was, the pharmacy was, the doctors office was......... they had taken one look at my triglycerides and hit the panic button.

My doctor was booked solid, so I got to see a different doctor who had just taken a seminar about diabetes. As it turns out, I should never have been put on a high carb, low fat diet. It had made me worse, a LOT! worse. What I needed was a low carb diet. She put me on one, and meds as well.

Soon I needed far fewer med, as my blood pressure went from 180/120 with meds, to 110/70 without meds. I got off the meds for triglycerides in a couple of months, as they were no longer needed. I never was able to get off of the Glucophage: no matter what I do without meds my blood sugar is simply too high. And yes Dr. Fidel, I have tried the no-carb diet: without Glucophage my blood sugar still remains too high.

I am pretty sure that if I had not been put on a high carb diet, that I would not be a diabetic now. What happened was, the low fat-high carb diet put my system under a considerable strain, and my system could not handle it. So now I am a diabetic. Many of us slender diabetics have a family history of diabetes, but I do not. I do have one great-grandparent that was a diet controlled diabetic, but she is the only one we know of.

So, a LOT of us can not tolerate a many carbohydrate as we get older. Our blood pressures go up, we get a bit of a tummy, we have less energy after a large meal. *IF* the cause is the amount of carbs we eat, then the cure is as simple as more meat and eggs, and less breakfast cereals, corn chips, and desserts.

And when they check your blood, please see if your triglycerides are normal. Because if they are going up, then you are pre-diabetic, or insulin resistant, or whatever else they are calling it now. And, a most excellent counter is to eat more meat and less sugar (or other carbs).

You folks have a choice: *IF* your own blood sugars and triglycerides are going up, then you can counter it.

I hope this makes sense. I rarely write this much, but I have learned my Mother's cancer has returned, and I fear I am a bit drunk. Just a bit. To make it possible for me to sleep tonight. I am not supposed to drink, of course, but staying up all night does not seem like a wise choice either.
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 12-14-2016 at 12:14 PM.

That's not how my sentences look if I get drunk.

Prayers for strength for you and your family.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Prayers going up for you and family Terri
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I am in a better place today. Mom IS 85, and I have been very aware she cannot be healthy forever.

It is still a shock, though.

Good medicine in bad places

They use to throw folks in jail for to much sugar back in the day. Shame society never learns from history.

Just pownded like 10 tollhouse cc cookies....darn. Now i feel bad