Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicks !!!

Default Chicks !!!

Chicks, the fuzzy feathery kind, not the babes.
    Arrived this AM, from Meyer Hatchery.
    Ordered 40 sexed hens, and 10 straight run, 52 arrived all healthy.
    USPS tracking sux, they were shipped Monday the 5th, they had one entry stating they were transferred to UPS on the 1st, then they had them arriving yesterday morning and out for delivery last night...
    Here they are, I'm going to be selling free range/organic/fertile/non GMO etc eggs!

Barred Rock Chicks.jpgBarred Rock in GQF Brooders.jpg

They are Barred Rock chicks.

Rancher

Is that a sportsman hatcher/incubator?
    I raise barred rocks too. Great birds and good brown egg layers. The Roos are mean as hell. LOL
    Hens are friendly though.

What I'm gonna do is get me some Silkies for hatching eggs. After incubating thousands of eggs for years in a cabinet, I'm gonna let the Silkies do the job in a smaller scale.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I just can't bring myself to sell our eggs, I give a lot away. Good looking set up! I'm not sure your level of experiences but the main problem I've had is coccidiosis I'm pretty sure I got it under control and how to avoid/treat. I lost in the neighborhood of 50 birds this year.

I got too big too fast, and also bought birds from different sources. At one time I was afraid I was going to have to kill them all and start over.

Good luck
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

What do you mean USPS tracking sucks. I've nearly always been notified when the shipping info originates, and consistently get delivery details, 3-5 days after delivery, but without fail.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Is that a sportsman hatcher/incubator?
    What you are seeing in the pictures is a 5 stack of GQF brooders, I have 3 GQF Sportsman Hatcher/Incubators but I bought these chicks from a hatchery, I will probably hatch out 30 replacement chicks a year, eat the half that are Roos, well maybe save one...

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    What I'm gonna do is get me some Silkies for hatching eggs. After incubating thousands of eggs for years in a cabinet, I'm gonna let the Silkies do the job in a smaller scale.
    Do you think Silkies are the best broody hens, I was kinda leaning toward Cochins, I've raised both, along with a dozen other breeds, I've even had Mallard Ducks incubate their own eggs, 2 sharing a nest of 20 eggs, all 20 hatched.

Rancher

Well, a few years back, I had an average of approx 3000 exotic fowl and 4 Sportsman incubators and brooders running constantly.Each would hatch anywhere from 75 to 170 eggs depending on the breed. I had one barn with nothing but Silkies as backup hatchers when my baters were full. If the eggs they were sitting were fertile, they hatched. I raised, several breeds of show chickens, pheasant, quail, peafowl and ducks. I've set Silkies on all my breeds with 100% hatch success. They are smaller than a Cochin but they make up for it with their fuzzy down and they brood together in huddles.. I personally love them! They get broody at the drop of a hat year round. They see an egg and they want to set it.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 12-07-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    What do you mean USPS tracking sucks. I've nearly always been notified when the shipping info originates, and consistently get delivery details, 3-5 days after delivery, but without fail.
    Postal service sucks, rather spend my money on fedex or ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Postal service sucks, rather spend my money on fedex or ups.
    They won't carry "lives" as they are called, i.e. live animals.

Rancher

This is start of Week #2, big chicks, no losses so far, still 52, and the hatchery sent me 2 females for extras according to the NPIP certification. A couple of days ago I had to do a vent cleaning, if you don't know... don't ask.

Barred Rock Chicks Week 1a.jpg

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 12-24-2016 at 11:16 AM.

This is start of Week #3, huge chicks, going to have to split the 2 brooders of 26 into 4 brooders of 13, still got 52, no losses, they eat like pigs, started the second bag of 45# of Starter/Grower.

Barred Rock Chicks Week 2b.jpg

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 12-24-2016 at 11:17 AM.