Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diesel steel tank for water...

Default diesel steel tank for water...

I'm assuming the answer is "no" but figured I'd ask just to make sure. I just ran across a very very cheap underground steel diesel tank (5000gal). It's pretty big but not quite big enough to make a cellar/bunker out of so I'm wondering what I could do with it. Wondering if there's a way to disinfect to store water in it?
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

I'd say no.
    Diesel is some nasty stuff, and no telling how long it's been used as a fuel tank.
    I wouldn't use it for drinking water.

You might could sell it to a farmer for diesel storage.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Great find, but unless you have a use for it, it's just a money trap. Maybe you could sell it to a medium sized farm or construction outfit. They might be leery of it though.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

How the heck would you get a tank that size to your property??? What a PITA.

Joe - NY

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    How the heck would you get a tank that size to your property??? What a PITA.

Joe - NY
    Well JoJo it's a little thing called a trailer. They are abundant in most non-leftist States! Because they are associated with hard work. Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

I can trailer it on with a flatbed trailer and it's only maybe 5-10 miles away. They want $500 for it. Seems like a no brainer even if i simply wash it out and bury it and use it as a smallish root cellar. it's a bit over 6' in diameter and 17' long so it could have shelves on either side and a small walkway in the middle 17' long. either way for $500 it's a steal around here. I'm gonna try to go see it in the next few days to make sure it's not rusted out or anything like that. I was just wondering about the possibility to use as a water cistern. The other option is clean as best as possible and use it to collect rain water and snow runoff then only use it for non-drinking purposes?
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

1. Diesel is nasty.
    2. Steel tank with water? That'll rust it right quick without some serious treatment.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

...^...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

you will never get it clean enuff for drinking water. rural king sells huge watertanks.. maybe 2000 gal plastic. should try that route.

Ok, so it's basically what I thought. No good for drinking water but might be useful for something else depending on condition. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. I think once I see it person I'll be able to see if it'll work as a small root cellar. If not then rain water collector (after it's been washed out good) is all i can think of.