Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Risks

Default Survival Risks

What do you all think about Fire and Dogs? Asset or Risk?

To me, Dogs are a liability and risk. I dont need a dog barking at every little thing and giving my position away and then theres the owners attachment to the dog. If the dog gets shot or mauled by a boar or killed by a bear, can you handle the emotional impact?

As for fire, it is not a need and also gives away your position when you want to stay hidden. Only exception is during cold nights/mornings and winter with the temp below 40. I wouldnt use fire for any other reason other than the exception.

Lots of variables there. trained well, a dog could be a huge asset. A mini or teacup anything is not in that discussion.

Fire can be used as a distraction, as well as cooking. A prudent person should gauge using a fire based on location, wind, many things.

True enough they could be a liability also.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

If your buddies dog gets mauled and you have a fire, you can have BBQ! Albeit a very awkward BBQ.......
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Luckily, my dogs aren't barkers. They are stealthy trackers with huge teeth. Both live outside and are used to animal noises.
    For fires, even before all this crap got crazy, I was using smokeless sterno fuel and dry wood for minimal smoke. No fires after dusk. Just the daylight time.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    - Groucho Marx

Might have missed it in one of your earlier threads, but are you obeying the regulations for camping where you're living? If so I'd see having a dog as an asset generally, even if nothing more than for keeping an eye on your gear when you're away - you did have your stuff stolen recently right? If not, or if trying to hide your existence there for some reason, then I guess I understand your reluctance to having one.

Just recently finished reading Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know and thought it was worth the read. While it's not written to be a training aid, understanding better how a dog thinks makes it easier to communicate with and train them (or train yourself to see and hear what they're trying to tell you). Everyone's probably got at least a couple "smart dog" stories so I won't bore you with any of mine, but even the dumbest animal with no training will still tree small game and keep rodents out of your camp.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I remembering mentioning the fact people have varying budgets. While two larcenies that account to $2, 188.94 in losses did happen, its not in my budget and plans. Even if I did get one, wouldnt do much good if a Marauder came by while I am doing a supply run or if I get caught in a storm again. Though I am not on foot anymore, a storm would still delay me.

OK,, I have to ask...... my dog lays in front of the fireplace on cool nights---- am I in danger???

E.T.A--- This is also why I have a trained Ninja cat sleeping on my bed--- if the dog barks, we both instantly jump up, we both are ready for me to throw the cat--- with all paws with claws extended, towards the intruder. Just ditch the dogs,, get a Ninja cat, no worries about barking, and sometimes a little p**** can bring a man some comfort.......
    Last edited by Uncle Archie; 11-07-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Archie View Post
    OK,, I have to ask...... my dog lays in front of the fireplace on cool nights---- am I in danger???
    I'd say no.Looks like your fire has never been tampered with.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

TOO FUNNY!!!That was a riot to read! Archie, you're a doll! I like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Archie View Post

E.T.A--- This is also why I have a trained Ninja cat sleeping on my bed--- if the dog barks, we both instantly jump up, we both are ready for me to throw the cat--- with all paws with claws extended, towards the intruder. Just ditch the dogs,, get a Ninja cat, no worries about barking, and sometimes a little p**** can bring a man some comfort.......
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Forget Fire and dogs and get a set of these and you'll be good to go!!!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.