Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Partner 2016-2017

I am country and just want to get my first Dangerous Hunt in. Been a dream for me; trying to make it a reality this year or next. Hunted turkey and deer for years and Fred Bear got me interested in Dangerous Hunts. I know the rattlesnake gives an early warning, but the others in NC require vigilance and high situational awareness, as they strike with no early warning. Yes, I am going for pelts as well. Saw a beaver sometime last week while I was riding. Is it odd for beavers to be on the side of the road, away from water as it was? It was alive, saw it run back into the woods as I rode by. Also going for Sinew and Hide. After reading Carry The Wind and being The Old World/Traditional man I am, I want to see how much I can get from a pelt Trade. Need to find a Trader is all.

Being new to Trading, is it a good for good or is it like in the book, goods to money; money to supplies. I simply want to know if Trading works by giving something you dont need for something you need, like coffee for cigarettes or if you trade something you dont need, get money for the trade and then use said money for needed supplies. Or does it depend?

Not odd at all for beaver to be away from water.
    Just like turtles and frogs, sometimes they move to another lake or pond.
    They don't always live in creeks and rivers either.

On trading, you always want to wind up on the better end of the stick if possible.
    This leaves you leeway to make a profit on what you traded for.
    Unless they have something you really want, and to keep, then it don't matter so much.

As for fur prices, look up fur price futures in your state you are in.
    Then subtract from that some, because all fur will not bring the same price...size of the pelt, fur quality, cleaned properly, stretched properly, so on.
    If you don't have refrigeration, this will present a problem for you as the fur will start slipping, then rot, unless you brain tan or another tanning method.
    Then, it better be done right, or you won't be able to get rid of them.
    There's lots more to it than most people think.

I'm curious what you might hunt that would be considered a dangerous hunt.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Cougar, Black Bear and Boar but only bear and boar on within the plans currently. So Bear and Boar.

Yes, I read that also in Carry The Wind. Josiah and Titus Bass took the plews in winter in the Tetons area and traded in the spring. I however, may have to trade some during winter and then maybe wait for a Rendezvous in Spring; if they still do Rendezvous that is. Ronnyvoo as mountain men call it. What you stated, Trapper is another thing I read in the book. Prices varied depending on Poor, Fair and higher qualities.

OK,, we have established that there is actually wolves in NC. So,, why are they not an ''endangered species'' as they are every where else??? And who in the dickens is gonna buy a wolf hide,[ if it is even legal ] , for what?? I might not be a ''survivalist'',,, ''mountain man'',, but--- we was always taught to not kill anything that we was not gonna eat.... a wolf??? Gimme a break....
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

There are Rendezvous out there, but not like the fur trade era you may be thinking of.

Today's rendezvous, we dress up period style, there is trading of furs, but all are brain tanned or commercially tanned, they sell lead, ball, some sell a bit of powder, tomahawks, knives, clothing. They don't sell green furs there.
    It's geared more for people to come and look at, and spend money, not so much for the traders to swap and trade fur for other stuff.
    It's not a place to sell fur I'll put it that way.
    They are mostly for the public to come, spend money on hotdogs and pop, watch how the mountain men lived back in the day, have some tomahawk throwing, pistol, rifle, and musket shooting, sometimes someone is there making knifes from flint, women making soap, etc...

You need to find a fur buyer in your area.
    You can find them on the internet.
    Usually, they'll come to a town at a certain time, grade your furs, and buy them according to market prices..but expect to sell at more of a wholesale price, the fur buyer has to make money too.
    They usually start coming around the 3 or 4th week after fur season starts, and come every couple weeks to certain towns.
    They will not come to you, unless you had lots of fur, which usually takes a professional license to trap that much fur, and to have that many traps out.
    If you don't have lots of traps, I'd say I highly doubt you'd catch that much fur for a buyer to come to you.

Your chances of seeing a cougar is very low.
    They'll see you, and slink away, and you won't know it.

Boar I don't consider that dangerous. A sow with little piglets is dangerous. Ask me how I know sometime.
    Or wound a hog, and go in after them in a thicket..then it can get hairy.

Black bear usually run, unless a sow has cubs and feels threatened.
    I've came across several during black powder season here, and they boogied.
    We have draw hunts here for b/bear, and it cost more than I want to spend.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Archie View Post
    OK,, we have established that there is actually wolves in NC. So,, why are they not an ''endangered species'' as they are every where else??? And who in the dickens is gonna buy a wolf hide,[ if it is even legal ] , for what?? I might not be a ''survivalist'',,, ''mountain man'',, but--- we was always taught to not kill anything that we was not gonna eat.... a wolf??? Gimme a break....
    Actually, the only wolf in NC is the Red Wolf which is being reintroduced in the eastern part of the state... And yes, it is protected...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    I know the rattlesnake gives an early warning,
    They SOMETIMES rattle when threatened. Don't count on a warning before a strike. That's not how it works.