Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Type II Diabetic?

Default Type II Diabetic?

Good medicine in bad places

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I understand that there is a cure developed in Ethiopia... I also understand that bulimia and anorexia have been eliminated there as well...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

There are a lot of half truths in that presentation.

Speaking as a slender Type 2 diabetic her advice is much better than the ADA's advice, but I consider this to be a starting point more than a complete lecture. Though she is entirely correct when she says the advice of the ADA is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post

Speaking as a slender Type 2 diabetic her advice is much better than the ADA's advice, but I consider this to be a starting point more than a complete lecture. Though she is entirely correct when she says the advice of the ADA is poor.
    Imagine that, guv info or guidance that could be agenda driven. Who knew?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post

What are the half truths you think are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    What are the half truths you think are there?
    I think the first 6 minutes or so are pretty good. Though the title, "reversing diabetes" is misleading. Diabetes is, basically, a problem with the pancreas. Changing your diet to decrease the strain on your pancreas is not changing the pancreas any more than lubricating a worn axle will repair the damage tat already exists. It may work better, but the damage has not been reversed.
    .................................................. ...................
    She states that no carbs are necessary in your diet. Well perhaps not for her, but I feel lousy if I do not have any. I do not know WHY I feel lousy, as the blood sugar monitor may read normal, but I am restless, hungry, and weak if I do not have any carbs for more than half a day or so. For those who do not know, those are also signs of low blood sugar, even though my blood sugar may be normal. And, if I eat just a few crackers I will soon feel well again.

A lot of Americans believe is too much is bad then some must also be bad: this is not true. Our ancestors have been eating roots, seeds, fruit, and honey for millions of years. It is part of the diet we are adapted to. What our ancestors did NOT do was to eat refined sweets in the quantities that we do. Some is good but too much is too rich for our systems: it puts a strain on our bodies. If you pick a piece of sweet fruit and eat it OR eat a teaspoon of frosting it is a good thing: if you eat an entire tub of sweet frosting that is too may carbs and that is bad for you.

.................................................. ......

She then goes on to state that on a low-carb diet one of her patients not only LOST WEIGHT but also no longer needed insulin, and says it is because of the low carb diet. BUT! People who only lose weight find that it improves their blood sugar. My own theory-after watching how the numbers on the blood sugar monitor respond to any changes in my own weight- is that if your pancreas works well enough to cover 160 pounds, and you weigh 180, then you show symptoms of diabetes. But, if your pancreas works well enough to cover you if you weigh 160 ponds and you weigh 140, then you show NO signs or symptoms of diabetes.

Many doctors have told me that is not how it works, but I believe it does.

Just as I told the doctors that eating protein with carbs would help stabilize the after-eating blood sugars, and they said it did not work that way, but that is now accepted as true. Protein slows the digestion and that means the sugar hits my blood stream more slowly, and my pancreas responds better to a trickle of blood sugar than to a flood. And I am certain that a pancreas that works perfectly at 140 or less pounds may or may not function correctly if you weigh 160. There are more cells if you weigh 160 and so more work for the pancreas to do

I do not understand why she says to eat more fat instead of saying to eat more protein: is I because she thinks a high protein diet may affect the kidneys? I do not know. I *DO* know that once a month I take prednisone for my multiple sclerosis because Gilenya alone does not do the job. and while I am on the prednisone I must use insulin. And eating fat interferes with the insulin. I have been told this and I also see it on my blood sugar monitor. So I do not know why she is doing what she is doing, though that might be because of my own lack of knowledge.

She says to not eat if you are not hungry. Uh, no. Nope. Bad advice. If you skip lunch and get busy then you are likely not ABLE to eat when you are, and if you are starving you will binge. BTDT. Your subconscious mind know EXACTLY what will bring your blood sugar up to a comfortable level in record time, and that is sugar. So eat lightly if you are on your lunch break and you are not hungry, but do eat a bit. Most people are NOT self employed, and cannot just say "I am not hungry at my lunch break so I will take a different lunch break"

.................................................. ...

She says sautéed mushrooms are starch? In what universe?

Ah. she just defined "reversing diabetes" as needing less meds. Well, I would not define reversing diabetes as that, anymore than I would talk about reversing the wear on an axle. It does not happen. She ALSO disagreed that diabetes is a progressive disease but it is. My own average blood sugar is almost as low as a non-diabetic but every year I must work a bit harder to keep it that way. My last average blood sugar (A1C) was 5.8, which is excellent for a diabetic, but even with medication it is getting harder to keep it there.

As for the medical profession trying to keep you sick, no they are not. The problem is they are still on the low-fat high= carb diet that was popular in the 60's.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

This last bit is purely from me: My disagreement with the ADA is twofold. One is, eating too many carbs on an empty stomach packs a HUGE wallop if you are a type 2 diabetic, and yet they allow many carb exchanges at breakfast! I have found by trial and error that I can ONLY tolerate 1 carb exchange for breakfast. No more. Half the time that is a half bowl of oatmeal and half the time that is a few crackers. If I want more food I can have an egg or some other kind of protein, but only 1 carb exchange. If I eat more than that then my blood sugar will not be stable for hours as what goes up WILL come down, and then I MUST Eat.

Two. Are they still telling diabetics to not test until 2 hours after a meal? Nope. BAD advice, as a diabetics blood sugar can easily spike up tp the upper 200's and then drop down to normal 2 hours later. Been there done that. The usual symptoms of thirst and drowsiness also can set in. And that is NOT! normal.

In order to keep my blood sugar where It should be I must test 1 hour after I eat, which is when my own blood sugar is usually at my highest. My goal is 140, and maybe I make it and maybe I do not but I am far more comfortable if I do not have symptoms of high blood sugar or low blood sugar. I have a life to live, and my goal Is to eat when I should and then go on to live that life, and not be having symptoms all the time.
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 10-09-2016 at 02:50 PM.

DM Ty II is not a problem of the pancreas: It is a problem of insulin insensitivity at the cellular level. DM Ty I is a problem of a lack of insulin prdroduction by the Beta cells in the Islets of Langerans, and they are two quite different diseases (which I wish had much different names).

Type II DM (which my post, and the linked video address) can be minimized in many patients - I have seen it. I have also seen people with metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes get themselves to the point where they are no longer in metabolic syndrome / pre-diabetes by minimizing their carb intake. I can 'give' someone Ty II diabetes by prescribing metformin to them....their blood glucose will increase, they will gain weight, and become insulin insensitive: I can 'cure' them of it just as easily by taking the metformin away....

As the video explained, your body doesn't need to consume carbohydrates |(exogenous carbohydrates): It will make all the products of carbohydrates you need just fine, from other products like fat or protein. Yes, mushrooms (and all other plant and some fungal based foods) are starches: their cell walls are made of cellulose. If you feel better eating some carbs, then eat them: It's LOW carb, not NO carb.

And the reason for increasing fat over protein in low-carb diets is because too much protein can cause problems for some people: Protein metabolism can result in urate metabolism issues like gout, for example. Some people are more susceptible than others. Most Americans eat far too much protein in their diet (most people need about 1 gram of protein per day per kg of body weight). Eating more fat with the protein limits both because fat is satisfying.

There is a physiological (as well as psychological) for binge eating: It's related to the rapid rise and fall in blood glucose levels, from eating carbs. The video addressed that in discussing American-Chinese food. A good example is being hungry and eating something like a Snickers bar: You're just fine for an hour or two, because your blood glucose spikes, your blood insulin levels spike, then your blood glucose levels crash (thanks to insulin) and you're back to hunger/starving. That happens to one degree or another with all carbohydrates.

Interesting factoid: Sushi rice (vinegared rice) has much less of a glycemic effect than plain rice. And eating when you're not hungry is part of the problem: It is not natural for omnivoroous/carnivorous animals to eat like that, it causes artificial swings in blood glucose, and is a self-sustaining problem. Personally, I do fine without breakfast, eat a meal sometime between 10AM and 2PM and maybe have another meal in the evening. The one thing I really try to avoid is eating between meals, because that just causes my blood glucose to (normally) rise, and when it (normally) falls, I get hungry, lightheaded, and irritable.

BTW, one of prednisones well known side effects is an increase in blood glucose - causing all the symptoms of DM Ty I (which is usually reversible when the drug is stopped). Long term use of prednisone will result in increased blood glucose, which leads to weight gain, increased urination (the kidneys trying to flush the sugar out) and dry mouth (because of the loss of water because of the increased urination). Long term use can cause Cushing's syndrome with buffalo-hump and belly fat distribution and what are called moon facies (a round face). Because of that, giving it to people who are diabetic need to be closely monitored - so your reaction is neither uncommon, or typical for a healthy person.

So, I'm not your physician.....and I'm not offering any medical advice. Just a suggestion for those who would like to get healthy.

Fidel, MD, what you said *IS* what the textbooks say. And, when I tried it the results were not good. Believe it or not as you wish, my way did work better.

Yes, I know that about prednisone. It bites but it is better than ms
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 10-09-2016 at 03:48 PM.

I didn't say don't take prednisone: I said it requires closer monitoring. And if your way works better for you, and you're willing to suffer the unavoidable side-effects of continuing to have to take DM Ty II drugs, then go for it.

BTW, one of the treatments for MS is REDUCING fat consumption, there isn't a lot of evidence that it works or doesn't but there are some studies that show it helps. So, you may certainly be a special circumstance because of your MS, and that means your experiences are not applicable to those with just DM Ty II.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    I didn't say don't take prednisone: I said it requires closer monitoring. And if your way works better for you, and you're willing to suffer the unavoidable side-effects of continuing to have to take DM Ty II drugs, then go for it.

BTW, one of the treatments for MS is REDUCING fat consumption, there isn't a lot of evidence that it works or doesn't but there are some studies that show it helps. So, you may certainly be a special circumstance because of your MS, and that means your experiences are not applicable to those with just DM Ty II.
    Huh. I had forgotten abut the fat-MS thing.

The diet she Is promoting is not new. And, I have tried it. It did not affect my need for glucophage. I wish it had, but what I am doing worked better for me. Much better.